Problem with the girlfriends microphone and/or PC

Avinexis

So the girlfriend's old PC broke and she needed to get a new one. As if that isn't a problem enough, this new one is literally MADE of problems.

So first off she's got a nice clean install of 7 on it, courtesy of her father. However, the sound doesn't work. At first I suspected the drivers weren't loaded properly, if at all, but then it occured to me. Maybe the speakers just aren't recieving any sound. So I told her to go to the sound panel and select "Playback Devices". I then told her to right click her speaker device and click "test".

The green sound bar lights up, indicating the sound IS working, but the speakers aren't recieving. So I tells her "Maybe your speakers are plugged into the wrong slot." She changes them around a bit and it works. It turns out she had to plug it into the PINK slot for the sound to work? Isn't it meant to be the green one?

I thought of this as a non-issue, until it came to entering a Skype call. All I can hear from her end is static. Ridiculous amounts of static. I thought for a moment that I might have heard her speak through it, but with the way that static was going it was probably my mind playing tricks on me. I could, however, hear my Skype messages being recieved by her PC, as well as other PC exclusive audio. Since she's using a microphone with an audio jack, and I've always used USB microphones, I don't really have much to say. I asked her to check her microphone settings under "Recording Devices", and she showed me a screenshot of it. All she has on that list is "Line In - Realtek AC'97 Audio - Default Device" and "Phone Line - Realtek AC'97 Audio - Currently Unavailable". No Realtek microphone or anything.

Then she tried a USB microphone and showed me the recording devices list again. The device isn't listed and it doesn't appear to have installed any drivers for it or anything. We tried Skype and MSN voice chats and the static had gone, but this time there was no sound at all. She's trying windows update to see if that's done anything. Half way through the updates her sound has been knocked out again, so I'm hoping they knocked a bit of sense into the bloody thing. I've also linked her to the Windows Vista/7 32/64 bits AC'97 drivers. We'll see how they do.

Otherwise, this is just one huge mess. Can any of you guys add any input at all? :( This is stressing her to tears as we're entire oceans apart and this is our only method of contact. It's been hard enough being out of contact for almost a month due to her visiting family and then her PC dying on her.

Cheers guys.

EDIT: Update...Now having installed the windows updates, what used to be "AC'97" is now "SoundMAX Intergrated Digital Audio". Her speakers work correctly from the green jack slot, however.

Edited by Danrik

I would of put it down to drivers if i had to choose. Glad its all fixed.

Almost... Now the thing is I can hear her voice, but it's accompanied by tonnes of static fresh from the very depths of hell. I'm at a loss.. Now it's just causing more arguments than anything..

Is this on her mic? Desktop mic or headset mic? Brand? Drivers?

Could be alot of things. Check the sensitivity or volume level on the mic and if its desktop move it away from speakers. Make sure the mic is not too close to her mouth aswell. If the volume level of the mic is too high it will be to sensitive and will cause feedback. There might also be options to adjust sound settings in the voip program ur using. I know in Teamspeak and Ventrilo you can adjust alot of settings. As for Skype im not to sure.

Is this on her mic? Desktop mic or headset mic? Brand? Drivers?

Could be alot of things. Check the sensitivity or volume level on the mic and if its desktop move it away from speakers. Make sure the mic is not too close to her mouth aswell. If the volume level of the mic is too high it will be to sensitive and will cause feedback. There might also be options to adjust sound settings in the voip program ur using. I know in Teamspeak and Ventrilo you can adjust alot of settings. As for Skype im not to sure.

Yeah it's on her mic. I hear loads of static which she would otherwise be blissfully unaware of. From what I've gathered it seems to be a nameless headset usb microphone..Hence finding drivers for it is a big problem..

Looking around the web it seems a fresh install would be the easiest fix, but that still leaves the problem with system drivers, etc...

God I wish she understood all of this.

I dont think a fresh install will fix static mic issues. If the mic is a no name brand then it is of poor quality and thats what it might be. If its a standard audio jack connection then you wont need drivers. If its usb then yes you will need drivers. Always remember if your going to format windows and reinstall make sure you have all your driver cd's that came with your pc parts. If not go to the manufacturers website and download the specific drivers and copy them to a cd or usb for future installations.

I dont think a fresh install will fix static mic issues. If the mic is a no name brand then it is of poor quality and thats what it might be. If its a standard audio jack connection then you wont need drivers. If its usb then yes you will need drivers. Always remember if your going to format windows and reinstall make sure you have all your driver cd's that came with your pc parts. If not go to the manufacturers website and download the specific drivers and copy them to a cd or usb for future installations.

The microphone works perfectly on her sisters PC, so I'm not sure it's a poor quality product. I did read in this forum about a person who had the exact some problem. USB microphone, Wired, SoundMAX, etc. He somehow fixed it with a fresh install of the OS and drivers.

I think the moral of the story is that SoundMAX really is a huge pile of . :glare:

Hmm. Maybe try a fresh install then. As long as you've got all your documents and drivers backed up your good to go. I normally format when I'm out of solutions. I'm not an expert I'm sure there would be other users here that could shed more light on the matter. Once this topic is a few days old and more posts are in you may have your answer. Sorry I cant be of more assistance.

Hmm. Maybe try a fresh install then. As long as you've got all your documents and drivers backed up your good to go. I normally format when I'm out of solutions. I'm not an expert I'm sure there would be other users here that could shed more light on the matter. Once this topic is a few days old and more posts are in you may have your answer. Sorry I cant be of more assistance.

Good idea :) I'll leave it a while. And don't worry, thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup: I'll talk it through with her, see what she thinks. It IS her PC after all