1st System Build - All Parts Bought - Now the Fun!

BadAxe4U

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Forum and this is my 1st build. I wanted to push my game graphics to higher levels and my Gateway FX couldn't do it. I didn't like my purchasing options, so I'm building one. I have purchased almost every item I need, here is the list so far:

Intel Core i7 – 930 2.80 GHz Quad Core

6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 (1600)

Asus Rampage III Extreme – Intel X58 – LGA 1366 USB 3.0 – SATA 6Gb/s

EVGA GeForce GTX 480 – 1536MB GDDR5

Seagate Barracuda XT - 2TB - 7200 RPM - SATA 6Gb/s - 64MB cache – Boot Drive

Seagate Barracuda – 1.5TB – 7200 RPM – SATA 3Gb/s – 32MB cache – Data Drive

Lite-On 24X DVD Writer – iHAS424

Enermax Revolution85+ - 1050W – ERV1050EWT

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower – Black

and an extra 200mm fan for the top of case and antistatic gloves

When I was at Micro Center, the salesmen told me I should use a good thermal paste for my i7 CPU. After much discussion, I agreeded with them and bought Artic Silver 5. I don't know if that was the way to go, but that was the 1st suggestion I took. A salesman at CompUsa talked me into the Asus Rampage III Extreme and EVGA GTX 480. I wanted to go with an Nvidia GPU, down the road I will go SLI. The HAF X case looked cool, I was going to make my own, but hunting season is in 8 weeks and I need to practice with my arsenal. I have some computer parts replacement experience, have assembled electronic kits and made lots of stuff, being a toolmaker by trade. When the snow starts to fall, I plan to water cool, add a SSD and overclock the 930 to it's limits. Has anyone ever ruined a part by static discharge? I keep hearing it could be a problem. Any thoughts on this? Oh Yeah, I'm going to a computer building class at CompUsa tommorrow, I can't wait.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Forum and this is my 1st build. I wanted to push my game graphics to higher levels and my Gateway FX couldn't do it. I didn't like my purchasing options, so I'm building one. I have purchased almost every item I need, here is the list so far:

Intel Core i7 – 930 2.80 GHz Quad Core

6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 (1600)

Asus Rampage III Extreme – Intel X58 – LGA 1366 USB 3.0 – SATA 6Gb/s

EVGA GeForce GTX 480 – 1536MB GDDR5

Seagate Barracuda XT - 2TB - 7200 RPM - SATA 6Gb/s - 64MB cache – Boot Drive

Seagate Barracuda – 1.5TB – 7200 RPM – SATA 3Gb/s – 32MB cache – Data Drive

Lite-On 24X DVD Writer – iHAS424

Enermax Revolution85+ - 1050W – ERV1050EWT

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower – Black

and an extra 200mm fan for the top of case and antistatic gloves

When I was at Micro Center, the salesmen told me I should use a good thermal paste for my i7 CPU. After much discussion, I agreeded with them and bought Artic Silver 5. I don't know if that was the way to go, but that was the 1st suggestion I took. A salesman at CompUsa talked me into the Asus Rampage III Extreme and EVGA GTX 480. I wanted to go with an Nvidia GPU, down the road I will go SLI. The HAF X case looked cool, I was going to make my own, but hunting season is in 8 weeks and I need to practice with my arsenal. I have some computer parts replacement experience, have assembled electronic kits and made lots of stuff, being a toolmaker by trade. When the snow starts to fall, I plan to water cool, add a SSD and overclock the 930 to it's limits. Has anyone ever ruined a part by static discharge? I keep hearing it could be a problem. Any thoughts on this? Oh Yeah, I'm going to a computer building class at CompUsa tommorrow, I can't wait.

Looks like it will be a great build. Computer parts used to be much more sensitive to static but I think they are more tolerant these days. The only precaution I take is to handle things by there edges etc and make sure I don't touch pins etc. I've never run into a problem with static.

Looks like it will be a great build. Computer parts used to be much more sensitive to static but I think they are more tolerant these days. The only precaution I take is to handle things by there edges etc and make sure I don't touch pins etc. I've never run into a problem with static.

Thanks for the tip. I also plan to clean all the connectors and pins with DeoxIT, http://www.deoxit.com/. I took a VCR repair course and the teacher owned an electronics repair business. He talked about the product and asked to see my keychain flashlight. I gave it to him and he took it apart, cleaned the battery and flashlight contacts. After he reassembled it, the light was actually brighter. I see the same results with any of the fashlights in my collection that have oxidation, which is hard to detect.