OCC Movie Nights

Deathmineral

Change the Day  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which days would be most convenient for you guys?

• Sunday
    • Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday

Also we'll need to be inconspicuous with the name of the stream as well as even streaming copyrighted content is against probably the majority of sites rules.

Need to be careful about that ...

I don't have issues with commercials during Hulu or any other sites.

Just on sites like Justin.tv that force commercials to users on a LIVE stream is just a bad idea. Watchers miss out on things happening because a commercial is playing. Since its a LIVE broadcast you can't go back to where you left off. So when commercial ends you get fed back to where the video is playing a realtime. You just missed everything that happened during that commercial.

Hulu on the other hand isn't a live broadcast. So it picks up where you left off after commercials.

Good points, I'm just saying if I can find it elsewhere without commercials...I do (though I don't look too hard if I want to watch whatever it is bad enough). Or actually I wish I could watch all of the commercials at one time, that'd be nice. But I can't stand my show just stopping abruptly and then the same stupid HP beatbox laptop ad comes on that makes me want to peel all the skin off my face and plop it into a large bowl of salt saturated lemon juice.

:withstupid: I never saw the original, so I was thinking of taking it out of the library...but an OCC multicast would be cool. heh

I love the eyeball scene! :lol:

Once this is all sorted out, when we have the first movie and time committed, I can post up a news item if you'd like. However, that would then get picked up by Google and whatnot and we may have non-OCCers connect in. Would stream quality degrade with more people watching?

Hmm I didn't even think of the Library, I mean we have Netflix but I don't have my own queue anymore so I only get to pick the movies if my dad doesn't currently have anything he wants comin'

We should find a host that allows multiple audio streams, I think it would be neat to chat during the movie but have the option to listen to JUST the movie audio.

Maybe something like Stickam but set to private with a password?

Also we'll need to be inconspicuous with the name of the stream as well as even streaming copyrighted content is against probably the majority of sites rules.

It should be allowed if it's a invitation only kind of affair (which I know it's not) because it'd be virtually the same (though not as high quality) as watching it with all of you in my family room. The quality loss should be "punishment" enough haha

I have roughly a 1.5+Mbps upload

Count me out, chaps. I can't watch less than 720p any more (such a resolution snob, eh?). Sorry - it's the hundreds of 1080p films that do it to me :lol:

Alternatively, you could do a "move club" where everyone commits to watching a movie each week (somehow) and then comments in the thread for discussion?

I don't have issues with commercials during Hulu or any other sites.

Just on sites like Justin.tv that force commercials to users on a LIVE stream is just a bad idea. Watchers miss out on things happening because a commercial is playing. Since its a LIVE broadcast you can't go back to where you left off. So when commercial ends you get fed back to where the video is playing a realtime. You just missed everything that happened during that commercial.

Hulu on the other hand isn't a live broadcast. So it picks up where you left off after commercials.

I don't get any ads like that on JTV, I was getting them on Livestream though. I tested JTV just now while signed in and signed out and didn't get an video ads during the broadcaster's video. If some of you guys could test it out for me and confirm whether JTV does it or not it would help a lot.

:withstupid: I never saw the original, so I was thinking of taking it out of the library...but an OCC multicast would be cool. heh

I love the eyeball scene! :lol:

Once this is all sorted out, when we have the first movie and time committed, I can post up a news item if you'd like. However, that would then get picked up by Google and whatnot and we may have non-OCCers connect in. Would stream quality degrade with more people watching?

The quality of the stream won't degrade with a lot of people watching, there are some channels that get 100s of viewers and have good quality. It's coming from JTV and not the broadcasters themselves so JTV has the kind of bandwith to keep it quality... well not really great quality since these kind of sites do tone down the quality of the stream a little, but that shouldn't be a problem if we can cast at good enough quality.

We should find a host that allows multiple audio streams, I think it would be neat to chat during the movie but have the option to listen to JUST the movie audio.

Maybe something like Stickam but set to private with a password?

For chatting we could use steam or ventrillo, I'm sure that many of us here already have it so it would probably be the best option. I actually considered this when I first got to think about the communication and I just assumed everyone would feel the chatting would get in the way of the movie's audio.

As for copyright, I'm still not sure what JTV's policy is on that, I do know that they have a warning system however so if I'm infringing on any copyrights they should give me a warning or two before they ban the account. I saw that IVI mentioned it would be the same as having everyone over to someone's house to watch a movie if it was invite only, JTV does have an access code option, I'm not sure if that would be considered an invitation only situation but that's about the best I can think of.