64 bit key activate 32 bit Windows?

Miek

On my computer, I'll be using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. It'll be the first time I've used a 64 bit OS.

If I find that it isn't running things I want it to, I will switch to 32 bit Windows. *If* that happens, can I use the key from the 64 bit edition to activate a 32 bit edition?

Thanks. And as I said, I'll only do that IF I find things I want to run don't run. Though I will keep my laptop with 32 bit Vista on it as well.

Silly question: Would an i5 run a 32 bit OS? I read on the Intel site that "Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS."

I'm not sure what that even means.

Edited by Miek

I know... I know... I'm so paranoid. I admit it. :dunno:

My only real concern is FL Studio and associated plugins for it. However, I'll still have my laptop with 32 bit Vista as a "fallback" if it doesn't work, I guess.

Edited by Miek

Ye I tried to play Aoe 2 on 64bit, it didnt work, but I just downloaded the XP emulator thing and bingo it worked :D Im so impressed with win7, for once it does EXACTLY what it says on the tin, especially 64bit

The release copies of 7 I've bought come with a single key for both 32bit and 64bit, so the key will be fine.

There are no 64bit processors that won't run 32bit applications on the market. That Intel comment may have been that a 64bit CPU is needed to run a 64bit OS, and a 32bit CPU can't run a 64bit OS or any programs you try to access in the 64bit OS.

I've never heard of a 32bit program not running on a 64bit system, but I don't doubt Sleinous. I would think it is very unlikely for there to be issues, and Sleinous is a one in a million person :thumbsup:

As Sleinous pointed out Ultimate has XP-mode, in case you do have problems.

What's the difference between this and this? All I can see is that one costs $100.00 more than the other.

Also, the first link doesn't say whether it's 32 or 64 bit.

Edited by Miek