Overclocking my rig

Pec0

IVI recommended a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer which is what I originally ordered for my rig but it was HUGE and didn't fit (mainly because I have an HTPC case.)

Instead, I use this Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and my quad core runs 42-47C under full load folding 24/7 in ambient air temp of 26C or so. I was pleasantly surprised with it.

Caveat: It is an AMD cooler but maybe AC makes an Intel cooler, idk.

Super bonus, the AC was $30 free shipping. :cheers:

"Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro"

That looked ideal but I didn't see 775 in the description. :dunno:

Edited by Pec0

"Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro"

That looked ideal but I didn't see 775 in the description. :dunno:

Yeah, like I said, this is an AMD cooler but AC may make one for Intel, idk...google it!

The AC website shows this cooler for a 775.

Now you just have to find it for sale locally. The website has a "where to buy" link

My link is not working but Damian linked to one on the egg :biggrin:

Edited by ivangela

Oh crap i did not notice you were running the stock cooler. In that case i would highly suggest you invest in an aftermarket cooler.

This is a really good cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=cooler_master_hyper-_-35-103-065-_-Product

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go for this one. Looks like a wee peach!

Edited by Pec0

Good for you....although $20 more than the AC...I'm just sayin' :whistling:

Don't do that to me!! I'm Scottish, I love a bargain!! haha :lol:

Now you have me doubting if i can get a better one and researched it further the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus didnt get the best of reviews on this very site:

My link

This line in particular "it offers a decent level of cooling performance" makes me go MEH!! :down:

That review was done with an i7 920 because the cooler is specified 1366 capable , MASSIVE difference in heat output vs your C2D.

The 212+ would be more than capable for your processor.

That review was done with an i7 920 because the cooler is specified 1366 capable , MASSIVE difference in heat output vs your C2D.

The 212+ would be more than capable for your processor.

OK bugger it. Just going to order it just now. Hopefully get it tomorrow or Saturday. Will it just be a matter of un-mounting my stock heat-sync and replacing it with this or will I need to remove/reapply thermal paste?

OK bugger it. Just going to order it just now. Hopefully get it tomorrow or Saturday. Will it just be a matter of un-mounting my stock heat-sync and replacing it with this or will I need to remove/reapply thermal paste?

A little more involved that just a swap, but it's not hard to do and yes you need to clean off your old TIM and replace it.

Someone on another forum made an installation guide specifically for the 212+, I'll find it and edit this post with it for you.

HERE is the one I was thinking about, didn't realize it was an AMD install, but same principal. You can also check out Youtube, I know there are a couple video's on there about installing one also.

after you recieve your new cooler you should be able to hit like 4.2/4.5ghz no problem that seems to be the norm for e8500's. Also the board you are using is perfect to P45 board are amazing dual core overclockers. At one time I used the same board but that was back in the beggining and there were major DDR3/P45 problems. but with some VTT and vcore voltage you should be good, maybe adjusting GTL REFS as well.

That E8500 should do 5.0Ghz fairly easily on air considering I used to run my E8400 @ 4.95 on air when doing SuperPi bench's and the like. Either way that E8500 is an all around bullet proof cpu that should last you quite some time.