Overclocking my rig

Pec0

C0 and E0 are the revision levels of that processor model. The E0 is the later of the two revisions.

If you're not sure about the revision level you can check the stepping code on the original processor box, you can check the stepping code on the cpu IHS heatsink, or easiest yet....... use CPUz to determine all the cool info on your processor.

You can download CPUID/CPUz here;

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Here's what mine looks like;

cpuzi7920.jpg

By wevsspot at 2010-08-10

Mine is a D0 revision i7 920 :)

• Like 1

If someone............ *whistles*, was to put a new CPU Heat-sink on the wrong way round and took it off to turn it round.......... would this separating the CPU from the heat sink diminish the efficiency of the thermal cooling paste and should it be removed and reapplied?

would this separating the CPU from the heat sink diminish the efficiency of the thermal cooling paste and should it be removed and reapplied?

Absolutely!

Anytime you remove the heatsink you should always re-clean both surfaces (cpu ihs and heatsink base). Use 90% or higher pure rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid. Wipe with a soft lint free cloth (I use old socks :))

Absolutely!

Anytime you remove the heatsink you should always re-clean both surfaces (cpu ihs and heatsink base). Use 90% or higher pure rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid. Wipe with a soft lint free cloth (I use old socks :))

., that will be why my temps are up a bit. :withstupid: Can we change that to I am stupid..

I wouldn't go that far :)

There's always a temptation to take shortcuts, especially when dealing with that greasy paste mess. But a thorough cleaning and re-application of the thermal paste is the only correct method.

Just ordered some TIM cleaner and Thermal paste from Ebuyer. I think I'll do my North and South Bridges when it arrives next week. Anyone got any recommendations or info I should know on how to clean them?

Edited by Pec0

I use a paper towel for the first couple of passes. After that I switch over to an old cotton sock for the final pass or two.

Nothing hard about it at all. But for future reference you don't need to spend a ton of dough on special cleaners. Rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid both work great.

Just make sure you don't get the cleaning fluid or paste on the underside of the CPU or it will create problems. Also you shouldn't need any more than a pinhead size amount of paste on the center of the CPU,

it should only be enough to elimenate microscopic air pockets as most of the Heatsink serfaces are not 100% smooth and therefore get air trapped in the microscopic ridges created by the machining prosses

of the heatsinks contact surface. Air pockets are bad for heat dissapation between CPU and the heatsink.

Hope this helps :)

• 1 year later...

I hope it's ok to revive an old thread.

I've tried upping my FSB Frequency by 15. However as soon as I do so and run a stress test with OCCT, the tests stops 3 minutes in as it's hit the 80oC limit. I've been reading through this old threat and some posters are suggesting it should be getting temps of below 50oC under load and I should be able to squeeze 5Ghz out my processor. I have:

•  
  • Intel Dual Core E8500 Wolfdale
  • Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro

Can anyone tell me if I should be able achieve those temperatures?

Should I really be able to squeeze 5Ghz out my CPU and

Can anyone given me any idea why my CPU is running so hot so quickly?