StarCraft II Replay Exchange Thread.

sack_patrol

starcraft2_banner.jpg

StarCraft II Replay Exchange Thread

So, I got this idea from one of Day9's dailies to start a thread where people could exchange replays and talk about strats and tactics. He, and obviously I think it's a good idea because everyone can learn a lot from not only their own replays, but also other people's replays by exploring different ideas and discovering new tricks, strats and tactics that we can later implement in our own games. I think that a thread like this will be more effective than just downloading different replays from random people, because here we can talk about our replays and share our thoughts and ideas that were going through our heads while we were playing the game.

In addition to that, I will add a few links that might be convenient.

Official StarCraft II Website

OCC's Starcraft II thread

StarCraft II Replays

Edited by ballist1x

Here are my 5 placement matches. I honestly have no idea what I was doing... I was reading unit descriptions and requirements... and overall being a total noob.

I know that I need to focus more on my money because my marco is awful...but I really don't know what to build except the things that I need... Basically I have no mid game...

There was one game that I show some really nice micro (for my skill level which is pretty low).

Any comments and observations relative to those games would be nice.

Oh yea and, does anyone know a better place to upload my replays but in Rar Archives so I don't have to upload each one.

• Like 1

My second batch of replays. Mostly losses. I really think that I'm extremely slow and what I get attacked I have very much money, and not enough units... but for some reason, whenever I need something I never have enough to build it. It's really frustrating cuz it's the same kind of loss every single time.

I think this 100% Random thing isn't such a good idea. I might try to just play Protoss and master the Dark Templar rush since I find it the easiest to make, although I'm still falling behind on macro even with it. IMO, it's an easy beginner tactic to practice because I can just let my DTs rush and kill everything, and I can focus on my micro without even needing to check on them, and hope that they do well... which I think will be the case most of the time because this is Bronze League after all.

Plus, I learned something from Day9 that goes like this: If you're falling behind on macro and end up with a lot of money (my case), a way to practice and remedy this is by deciding on a strategy and doing it every single time, but when it's time to attack, all you do is send your forces in, and don't even look or micro them. Instead focus 100% on macro and the base and building more stuff and totally forget about the units and the battle. This, obviously will lead to nasty losses, but it's very helpfull in the longrun since after I'm comfortable with controlling my base and building units, THEN I add micro to the mix and I'm the best player in the world.

So that's something to try.

EDIT: lol I tried a dt rush, failed the first time cuz I messed it up and it was 3 minutes late, so the zerg easily got overseers and it was gg for me. Then the second time it was a PvP and I was doing kind of ok though it took me a while to find out where he was cuz the map was a big 4 player map. But the interesting part came when the guy late scouted me with a zealot (which I dunno how got past my 2 zealot block next to the gateway) and at that time I was building the Dark Templar Shrine and he went right past it. So I though: "my DT rush just wen't down the toilet" but I still decided to do it... just for pracise. So I got my 3 DTs and rushed his base and I thought: "he'll prolly have a bunch of those invisible little flying robots that can reveal other invisible units so I'm screwed". But for my surprise the dude didn't have anything in preperation for the DTs...not even a Robo Bay. So I told him: "didn't u see the Dt Shrine" and he was like hurr durr whatever, so I ended up winning. All this to say: why the hell did he fail his scout so badly???! xD

Edited by ballist1x

Third batch of replays here. Those are my final 10 games that I've played on the ladder. I don't think that I've gotten much better than I was in the beginning but maybe there are "bits of truth" ,as Day9 says, in my games and with more playing I shape them up to be actual good strategies with a nice start, middle and end.

I've started taking notes on a .txt document for things that I'd like to try out, and basically any information and thoughts that come up. Later I'll get a notebook and transfer there. It's really helpful because weather you're watching replays, or just thinking about the game, you can always take notes on things that you think are useful to remember. This makes remembering strategies, and overall learning the game much easier.

I also noticed recently that Desert Oasis has a really short attack distance, so that's something I'd like to exploit with some kind of air unit rush or drop.

I wonder why nobody is participating... I guess everyone is going for the Campaign first but still. I guess I'll just use this as my work log then.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my last game that I played a few minutes ago. It was a PvP. I think it was one of my better ones so far, but I'm not sure since my opponent could have simply been a very inexperienced player, although after watching the replay I did see some openings where he could have clearly taken me out, although I'm not sure if that is also true because of my constant harass, making it very hard for him to leave his base. I also think that my micro/macro is slowly shaping up, even though I had 1k minerals at the end of the match, and an expansion with no probes on it. I also managed to show some nice Sentry skill by droping a forcefield on his ramp while half his army was chasing me down, so I split it in half and took it out easily.

And best of all. I didn't wing the game 95% of the time I would say. I had a plan, and I stuck to it, with some small adjustments on the fly, like the Sentry which I just thought off for a second, but I think I should have had one more.

Not too bad for a copper leaguer.

Edited by ballist1x