Network Card

Foozle

Hey guys,

I was considering buying the killer gaming network card, what are peoples thoughts on it? Is it really worth it, will it give me a noticeable difference while playing online?

The products website can be found here: http://www.bigfootnetworks.com/killer-2100/

Post up any thought you have on the subject.

the Killer 2100 is a vast improvement over the previous generations, if I had the money I would definitely get it. You may not notice it if you have great latency already, so it's really up for debate if you'll actually notice any improvement

In theory it should improve your performance no matter what.

What the card is supposed to do is handle the networking management via the card rather then giving the job to the CPU to do.

So while playing games in theory your networking packets will not have to wait to be managed by the CPU rather they will already have been working on via that LAN Card. Freeing up the CPU to do other things or get to other things faster thus giving you better FPS in games.

I thought about getting one of these a few years back when I was super in to playing World of Warcraft, but I could never muster up the 150 bucks (at the time) to buy one.

So I do not really know for sure if it works out. A ton of the reviews I read back in the day about it though all showed a really nice increase in gaming performance in World of Warcraft.

I think even the newer cards also will handle other applications other then just network management as well.

Overall though from the reviews you never really see a super gain or anything usually only 5-10milliseconds.

Though I have not seen or read any new reviews on the new 2100 card so maybe it has improved a ton!

My suggestion to you would be to find out what games you play, find a review for this card that reviews using the game you play and make a decision based on that.

For some people it might be a no brainier that extra (ms) of no lag could mean life or death or something if your a healer in WoW. Or getting or receiving a headshot in counter-strike or whatever games you kids are playing these days! biggrin.gif

I personally think that it's a HUGE waste of money, if you want a good NIC grab one of those Intel PCI-e and call it a day http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

Your focus should be on a good router that supports opensource software I.E. openwrt, tomato, or dd-wrt firmwares, and a solid modem if you want a solid network.

• 4 weeks later...