When should a new console be released?

ddkshah

when would it be a good time for msft, nintendo, and sony to come out with a new console and why?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony and Nintendo should come out with one whenever they think is right and microsoft should not release anymore consoles because the 360 can handle facebook just fine.

Really though, I'm not sure anyone can really make that judgement very easily, especially with these companies feeding us lies all the time. Like the new commercial for the 360slim, anyone else seen it? "here today, ready for tomorrow" with same technology from 5 years ago, takes some balls to lie like that. :P

Edited by Deathmineral

Things are fine the way they are. 1080p is the best HD resolution right now. They are coming out with Kinect and Move. Sony PS3 is the standard for Blu-ray. Nintendo is the only one behind graphically anyway.

every 6 years

If that were the case, then we'd be due for another console cycle. But realistically, we could be seeing these consoles for another 3-6 years, because the games just aren't that profitable. We won't be seeing new consoles anytime soon, certainly not until technology advances to a point where the production cost of games comes waaaay down. Until then, they'll just continue formulating new gimmicks to make the consoles seem fresh.

If that were the case, then we'd be due for another console cycle. But realistically, we could be seeing these consoles for another 3-6 years, because the games just aren't that profitable. We won't be seeing new consoles anytime soon, certainly not until technology advances to a point where the production cost of games comes waaaay down. Until then, they'll just continue formulating new gimmicks to make the consoles seem fresh.

no 2012 is when they will supposedly release new consoles. E3 2011 is when they are showing off the prototypes

^ that makes sense to me, no point in releasing a new console any sooner as we haven't got enough games out that push the current tech to its limits so yeah.. :rolleyes:

2012 new consoles get released and become crazy killer robots and kill everyone, that is why the earth dies then. :lol:

Anyways, I still think they should just make consoles that can be upgraded, since I would rather have an i7 with a GTX480 running without windows (FPS go higher! yay! :D)

no 2012 is when they will supposedly release new consoles. E3 2011 is when they are showing off the prototypes

Sorry but 2012 is too early. I am expecting 2014-2016 because that is when ray tracing will be possible. The general audience can't differentiate between a game which is tessellated or not yet, but they can differentiate between graphics from now and what ray tracing will bring to them. But talking about the wii... 2011-2012

With the new attachments and revamped designs, it really seems like they are trying to milk the current consoles as much as they can. I think Microsoft is trying to prevent itself from bring the first console out of the gate this next go-round.

Now that both Sony and Microsoft released their functionality enhanced version of motion control, it's time for Nintendo to show the world they think Sony/Microsoft are behind the power curve by releasing something new.

Nintendo sacrificed graphics for functionality ...now that they are beat on both fronts they have the most to prove now.

Sony and Microsoft don't really need to worry about PCs stealing their market so they can chill for at least a couple more years.

With the new attachments and revamped designs, it really seems like they are trying to milk the current consoles as much as they can. I think Microsoft is trying to prevent itself from bring the first console out of the gate this next go-round.

Yeah maybe they will actually test the thing so they don't end up with another Red Ring of Death situation.