ATI 5850 overclocking question

id_mew

Hi guys, I've been trying to overclock my HIS 5850 and I managed to get it stable running at 890/1250 @ stock voltage using 3D Mark Vantage and Unigine Heaven benchmark.

I run both programs successfully a couple of times with no issue at all, I even played Metro 2033 on the highest setting getting around 30 FPS.

But as soon I run MSI Kombustor to stress test, using my overclock 890/1250 it freezes within 2 minutes and I get a blue or black screen than I would have to restart my computer manually.

So my question is, does this mean I don't have a stable overclock???

why would it run fine in game, 3D Mark Vantage and the heaven benchmark with no problem at all??

Thanks for your help.

Hi guys, I've been trying to overclock my HIS 5850 and I managed to get it stable running at 890/1250 @ stock voltage using 3D Mark Vantage and Unigine Heaven benchmark.

I run both programs successfully a couple of times with no issue at all, I even played Metro 2033 on the highest setting getting around 30 FPS.

But as soon I run MSI Kombustor to stress test, using my overclock 890/1250 it freezes within 2 minutes and I get a blue or black screen than I would have to restart my computer manually.

So my question is, does this mean I don't have a stable overclock???

why would it run fine in game, 3D Mark Vantage and the heaven benchmark with no problem at all??

Thanks for your help.

Sounds more like maybe it was a heat issue to me. What temps was it reaching prior to freezing?

Kombuster and other stress test software would generally make the card work harder than a game so probably not get as hot gaming (perhaps after a longer time it would) so ok in game but not Kombuster.

Sounds more like maybe it was a heat issue to me. What temps was it reaching prior to freezing?

Kombuster and other stress test software would generally make the card work harder than a game so probably not get as hot gaming (perhaps after a longer time it would) so ok in game but not Kombuster.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I don't think it's a heat issue, I manually set the fan speed in MSI afterburner to 50%, and my GPU doens't go above 70 C when I stress test.