upgrade advice

ok i need so help here i have $450 to upgrade my current pc my system is

[email protected]

Msi P45 neo 2 with crossfire support

4 gigs of patriot DDR2 800

HIS 5870 and EVGA 8800gts for PHYSX

Coolermaster 650w psu

win 64

my question is do i buy a second 5870 for crossfire or upgrade cpu to a i5 750 $189 motherbord to ASUS P7P55D $134 memory to OCZ Reaper X 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $100 any advice would be helpful

What is your current monitor size? Personally, I would go for the CPU upgrade myself, as 2 5870's would be overkill in my opinion. Of course, I run 20" monitor, and teh games I play (DAO, MW2, L4D2) can run max settings at 90fps on my 5750. If you think you need the GFX juice, then do that, but your cpu would probably bottleneck a 5870 Xfire setup. Just my 2 cents.

What is your current monitor size? Personally, I would go for the CPU upgrade myself, as 2 5870's would be overkill in my opinion. Of course, I run 20" monitor, and teh games I play (DAO, MW2, L4D2) can run max settings at 90fps on my 5750. If you think you need the GFX juice, then do that, but your cpu would probably bottleneck a 5870 Xfire setup. Just my 2 cents.

i am using a 23" i run all games at 1920x 1050

i am using a 23" i run all games at 1920x 1050

How are your frame rates? Honestly, it's really just whichever you feel like upgrading most. But I must say, I do love my i5-750, it is dayum fast :biggrin:

How are your frame rates? Honestly, it's really just whichever you feel like upgrading most. But I must say, I do love my i5-750, it is dayum fast :biggrin:

my frame rates are really good have not found a game that i cant max out im just trying to keep my pc current

I truly do not know, but maybe someone else that reads this will. Would that CPU possibly bottleneck two 5870's. I honestly don't know, but that could make one possibility less appealing.

In any case, my vote would be a new CPU, because the one 5870 should probably be enough for most games, on a single monitor.

I truly do not know, but maybe someone else that reads this will. Would that CPU possibly bottleneck two 5870's. I honestly don't know, but that could make one possibility less appealing.

In any case, my vote would be a new CPU, because the one 5870 should probably be enough for most games, on a single monitor.

yea i agree, go for the cpu and mobo upgrade. Another 5870 really isn't necessary if the cpu will just hold them back.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm probably gonna get an 875K, an EVGA P55 (for SLI support) and 2x2GB of G-Skill DDR3 1600

If you're a bit tight on cash you can go for the i7 870, but it doesn't have the unlocked multiplier.

ya but I would think they'd both top out around the same, the multiplier will assuredly not be what stops his overclocking on the 870

my frame rates are really good have not found a game that i cant max out im just trying to keep my pc current

If its a gaming computer and your games are playing happily at good frame rates with current setup then not much point to upgrade if its not going to improve that experience. I was faced with a similar decision and came to the conclusion that the latest CPU/Mobo etc wouldn't be a major benefit for that use so I invested in new desk, chair, monitor, hard drives for extra capacity and keyboard/mouse to enhance my gaming.

If you wanted to do video processing or something else that was multithreaded then definitely mobo/cpu and Ram upgrade would be of real use otherwise maybe look to the accessories and your gaming environment.

Edited by dihartnell