Alexpho

How do I set timing on my memory ???

Hi there. First post here. I built my first system based off a M4A87TD EVO motherboard and AMD 965. I 've read that the first thing in overclocking is to properly set timing on your memory. I have 4 sticks of 2 gig DDR3 for a total of 8 gigs. When I searched through the Crucial website and read through the charts of the manual for the motherboard, no numbers are available for timing. ONLY THE NUMBER 9 ?

I've set ( by default ) on the motherboard to " AUTO " on all fields related to memory.

The system runs fine, but I just want to be sure I am maxing out and getting all the benefits out of my expensive memory set up.

So is this type of memory not available for manually timing ? Should I just leave it on auto ?

Thank you.

In your BIOS, go to the AI Tweaker menu, then scroll down to "> DRAM Timing Configuration"

Inside that menu you will be able to manually set your memory timings.

In your BIOS, go to the AI Tweaker menu, then scroll down to "> DRAM Timing Configuration"

Inside that menu you will be able to manually set your memory timings.

HI GUYS

Why is it if you change your RAM timings to for arguments sake 900mhz (on ddr800's ) in the bios , software like cpu-id and Everest show it as 300mhz ?

What you're talking about isnt the timing of the memory, its the frequency. CPUz doesnt report the effective memory speed, only the actual memory speed. What do you think DDR stands for? Double Data Rate. So when CPUz shows 300MHz, the memory is operating at that frequency, but communicating at 2*(memory_multiplier)*300MHz. Many people run their memory at a 1:1 ratio, so the effective memory speed of 300MHz memory is 600MHz.

What you're talking about isnt the timing of the memory, its the frequency. CPUz doesnt report the effective memory speed, only the actual memory speed. What do you think DDR stands for? Double Data Rate. So when CPUz shows 300MHz, the memory is operating at that frequency, but communicating at 2*(memory_multiplier)*300MHz. Many people run their memory at a 1:1 ratio, so the effective memory speed of 300MHz memory is 600MHz.

my mistake ... at least you know what i meant lol ..thanks :sleep: been a long day

Sorry for the confusion. I do know how to go into Bios and see the timing option. However, my question is about the " Timing numbers ", it is not available on the sites or instruction manual. To what do I set these RAMS to?

Ohhh. Whats the make/model of your memory sticks? What you're talking about is called the SPD, or Serial Presence Detect, info of the sticks, which tells you the rated timings for the advertised speed of the memory. I believe you can actually see the SPD data in CPUz under one of the tabs if you cant find it anywhere else more official. Theres always customer support phone numbers and manufacturer forums too. Tell me the make/model of your sticks and I can try and help more.

Ohhh. Whats the make/model of your memory sticks? What you're talking about is called the SPD, or Serial Presence Detect, info of the sticks, which tells you the rated timings for the advertised speed of the memory. I believe you can actually see the SPD data in CPUz under one of the tabs if you cant find it anywhere else more official. Theres always customer support phone numbers and manufacturer forums too. Tell me the make/model of your sticks and I can try and help more.

It is Crucial part number CT2K25664BA1339, the two pack kit. Do I still need to manual set the timing? If so, how?

Thank you so much for your help.

Alex

I dont think you need to manually set your timings, no. Download CPUz and post a couple screenshots of the memory tabs so we can make sure your memory is running at acceptable timings. My guess is that since the product page for the memory only lists the CL timing as 9, you can probably assume the memory runs at the standard 9-9-9-24 timings like a lot of other modules.

I dont think you need to manually set your timings, no. Download CPUz and post a couple screenshots of the memory tabs so we can make sure your memory is running at acceptable timings. My guess is that since the product page for the memory only lists the CL timing as 9, you can probably assume the memory runs at the standard 9-9-9-24 timings like a lot of other modules.

Cool. Thank you. I have to do nothing since CPUZ is in fact stating 9 9 9 24. I was simply following the many how to overclock write ups and a writer stated that memory settings are the first and most crucial point, so I freaked out.

Thanks,

Alex

a writer stated that memory settings are the first and most crucial point

He's absolutely horribly wrong :D Are you trying to overclock your processor or your memory subsystem? In either case, memory timings should be one of the last things you even bother worrying about.