What do you think about the news posted on OCC?

d3bruts1d

24 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the news posted on OCC?

• I do not read it.
    • There is not enough news - in general.
    • There is not enough news - in a category that interest me (let us know where to focus)
    • There is just the right amount of news.
    • There is too much news.
    • News? What News?
    • Other / Decline to comment

As you know, we are always looking for feedback and ways to improve OCC. This week, we are using the poll to find out how you feel about the OCC News Page, and it is a follow-up to a poll that sdy284 ran back in 2007 (link).

In addition to your vote, feel free to let us know how else we can better improve the news page. Does the layout work for you? Should there be longer stories? Would you like to see more images? Editorials? What features would you like to see implemented on the news page?

And, in case you didn't know, you can tip the news team on a story that interest you by using this form. :)

I voted "There is not enough news - in a category that interest me (let us know where to focus)" because overall I think we generally have enough news postings (except weekends, but most sites are idle then as well), but I'd like to see some more gaming news - PC, specifically.

As for your questions:

Does the layout work for you?

Overall, the layout works well. The only thing I don't like is when we have more than one posting pinned (or one long one) because I don't like having to scroll to see what's really new.

Should there be longer stories?

Generally speaking, no. The longer a story is, the more apt I am to ignore it. One to three paragraphs, although only the latter if they're small to medium length paragraphs. The only way I'd read a long posting is if the title and/or first sentence really grabs my attention, so the editor would have to work extra hard to get me to stay with it.

Would you like to see more images?

Not exactly because adding images for the sake of adding images isn't good. If a story warrants an image, then great...if not, then so be it.

Editorials?

Absolutely not. IMO, that's what the forums are for. The front page should be relegated to actual news. A news editor may state his opinion in one or two sentences along with the facts, but a full blown editorial is not appropriate. Instead, the editor should just create a forum post.

What features would you like to see implemented on the news page?

The "subscribe" feature to actually work - you can click on it, but you'll never actually get notified.

I read nearly every article on the news site unless it's something I really don't care about.

The news articles are what I commented on for the entry into the Cyberpower contest a while ago on what I'd like to see improved upon at OCC. I realize that this is an overclocking and hardware site, but we have a large gaming community and I'd like to see some gaming news on the front page.

II think the length of articles is fine and so are the number of images. But I would like to see fewer opinions from the writer and a bit of a different layout for the news. Instead of a big block of text stretching horizontally, perhaps placing it into a more vertical block would look nicer, and I also think it makes it easier to read. See Neoseeker's articles to see what I mean.

I read nearly every article on the news site unless it's something I really don't care about.

The news articles are what I commented on for the entry into the Cyberpower contest a while ago on what I'd like to see improved upon at OCC. I realize that this is an overclocking and hardware site, but we have a large gaming community and I'd like to see some gaming news on the front page.

II think the length of articles is fine and so are the number of images. But I would like to see fewer opinions from the writer and a bit of a different layout for the news. Instead of a big block of text stretching horizontally, perhaps placing it into a more vertical block would look nicer, and I also think it makes it easier to read. See Neoseeker's articles to see what I mean.

Neoseeker only shows titles and a tagline on the front page, and clicking on one, the layout is the same as here...not sure where you see a "vertical block".