Possible with single watercooling loop?

Hey Guys

I'm currently watercooling my cpu (i7 920 @ 4.0ghz) with a Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima XT watercooling kit and was looking at expanding this cooling to include my motherboard (Asus Rampage III Extreme) and gpu (Sapphire ATI Radeon 5850) on a single loop if possible. I don't mind changing/adding parts to make this one work but would really like to keep it and on the single loop with reasonable temps. Would this be possible at all?

Cheers

Yeah i'll definitely be getting a 360 rad, what would you guys recommend for flow order?

pump to cpu to gpu to rad to pump is from what I have read the best order to go, if you wanted a second rad you would put it in between the cpu and gpu.

pump to cpu to gpu to rad to pump is from what I have read the best order to go, if you wanted a second rad you would put it in between the cpu and gpu.

Best is Pump/Rad/CPU/Res. The pump dumps a little heat back in the loop and pump to rad may cool a degree or 2 better.

Yeah i'll definitely be getting a 360 rad

my advice would be save your money - if i'm not mistaken, the 220 already has a double 120 rad. just get another 220 rad (or another double 120 from a different vender) and add it to your loop between your CPU and GPU. that would give you 4x120 rad - which is more than enough to cool an OC'd 920 and an OC'd GPU. note: i am assuming a 360 is a triple rad (3x120) note 2: does the swiftech 220 system still use the 955 pump? is so, it *should* be enough for a double rad setup though your pressure and flow rate will drop somewhat from adding the GPU block and the extra rad. you may want to consider upgrading your pump (or adding a second) if you go with my suggestion - or even if you dont, and instead go with a 360 as you planned - you will still lose pressure and flowrate. keep that in mind :)

Edited by bschmidt71

my advice would be save your money - if i'm not mistaken, the 220 already has a double 120 rad. just get another 220 rad (or another double 120 from a different vender) and add it to your loop between your CPU and GPU. that would give you 4x120 rad - which is more than enough to cool an OC'd 920 and an OC'd GPU. note: i am assuming a 360 is a triple rad (3x120) note 2: does the swiftech 220 system still use the 955 pump? is so, it *should* be enough for a double rad setup though your pressure and flow rate will drop somewhat from adding the GPU block and the extra rad. you may want to consider upgrading your pump (or adding a second) if you go with my suggestion - or even if you dont, and instead go with a 360 as you planned - you will still lose pressure and flowrate. keep that in mind :)

The 220 comes with a MCP-655B pump. The only thing that was stopping me from getting a 2nd rad is that I would have to mod my case to fit it in (using a corsair 800D which has enough space for a triple rad). I think if I will need the 2nd rad, I'd probably get a 2nd loop to keep things tidy, this would also be handy if i decide to xfire my gpu in the future. What do you guys think?

The 220 comes with a MCP-655B pump

my bad - i thought it was something like that hehe (955...655...typo ??) :)

if you want to keep it all internal and a 360 will fit, then by all means go with the 360. me, personally - i always look for the add-on angle rather than the replacement...that's just how my mind works (all things being relative of course) - which was why i first suggested simply adding...well, you get the picture.

with the 360 rad and a GPU you may still want to look at an extra pump (or upgrading to a slightly more powerful one)

on the other hand: buying another 220 will give you expansion room for xfire (as you stated) if you have a place to put it. a separate loop isn't entirely necessary. you can daisy chain pumps in the same loop for decent efficiency and place the radiaters between the heat sources and it will work just fine. my loop (see sig) is as follows:

TEC -> pump1 -> CPU -> 240 rad 1 (double) -> pump 2 -> GPU 1 -> GPU 2 -> 240 rad 2 (another double) -> TEC (Boreas) ----- all in a single loop

but, in the end all we can do is tell you what you most likely already know (the pro's and con's). whether you should get a 360 to replace your 220 or get a second 220/240 for future upgradeability can only be decided by you my friend - hell, you could probably add your GPU to your 220 (as it is now) with minimal impact to temps if it really came down to it. as i said before: personally, i would get the second 220...but that's just me :)

The mcp655 is plenty for what you are wanting to do. My loop consist of swiftech xt cpu block, bitspower mosfet block, koolance north/south bridge block, 2x gtx 480 koolance block in series, xspc 360 rad, and the mcp655b with the speed set to 4. Flow is still strong enough to create ripples on top of the water coming back in to my res. My cooling isn't great but it's still a lot better than air. cpu at 4.0 1.35vcore hits 63c running 20 runs of intelburntest on high and my hottest 480 levels off at 65c running kombuster for about 20 minutes.

I'm planning to add another 240 rad and put my video cards in parallel to help with cooling but I have a lot more heat in my loop than you will, so I think you would be more than happy with a single 360 and the mcp655.

I will most likely try how you have it set up Water_hazard, then take it from there and make any adjustments if necessary. What order do you have the parts in your loop?

Edited by profetik