Help! PC pretty much dead

Sorry for the bad typing but I can't turn on my PC.

None of the USB devices turn on and neither does my monitor (but my external hard drive does have a power light on when I turn the PC on). The fans spin up and light on and so does my cd drive but besides that nothing plugged into the PC works.

I had this problem a few times before but a reboot would fix things but now nothing works. I even opened up the case and made sure all the wires were secure.

Sorry for the bad typing I'm on my phone.

Thanks for any response.

Dead memory is most likely your culprit. Take out one stick and try to boot. If it does the same thing try the other module and see what happens.

....good call frank...

clear cmos too

Dead memory is most likely your culprit. Take out one stick and try to boot. If it does the same thing try the other module and see what happens.

I did this and my computer booted up fine! I'll put it the second stick of memory to make sure that it is what's causing this problem.

Edit: I put the second stick of memory back in and it works like a charm. I'm confused.

I did this and my computer booted up fine! I'll put it the second stick of memory to make sure that it is what's causing this problem.

Edit: I put the second stick of memory back in and it works like a charm. I'm confused.

maybe not seated properly in the socket?...for now it's good though...you're back up

maybe not seated properly in the socket?...for now it's good though...you're back up

Possibly but when I was checking all the wires before that included the memory and video card.

The worst problem to troubleshoot is the problem that you can't repeat. Usually means your problem was either something logical or a momentary bad contact somewhere. Most likely a dirty contact on a memory module.

Do some maintenance and dust everything really well, clean expansion slot and memory contacts, replace thermal compound on CPU (also GPU and chipset if you're feeling frisky or just want to be thorough).

With the exception of the thermal compound replacement, I do this every few months, when I get a new component, or just get board. Be sure to wear a wrist strap and work on an antistatic workspace to avoid zapping your goodies

The worst problem to troubleshoot is the problem that you can't repeat. Usually means your problem was either something logical or a momentary bad contact somewhere. Most likely a dirty contact on a memory module.

Do some maintenance and dust everything really well, clean expansion slot and memory contacts, replace thermal compound on CPU (also GPU and chipset if you're feeling frisky or just want to be thorough).

With the exception of the thermal compound replacement, I do this every few months, when I get a new component, or just get board. Be sure to wear a wrist strap and work on an antistatic workspace to avoid zapping your goodies

My case is really dying for a some cleaning, I haven't touched it for almost two years! Any idea how to go about cleaning it out? I'm not really sure, especially tight spots like in between the fins of my heatsink or fans at the top of my case that are not removable. Also, what should I use? Napkin? Vaccuum?

My case is really dying for a some cleaning, I haven't touched it for almost two years! Any idea how to go about cleaning it out? I'm not really sure, especially tight spots like in between the fins of my heatsink or fans at the top of my case that are not removable. Also, what should I use? Napkin? Vaccuum?

you laugh but this what i use: echo power

kwik edit: if i remember right roadrunner does the same !!

just pull the side cover, remove anything that could potentially be affected by high winds,

and then just hose 'er out !!

I use an air compressor and a new toothbrush or trimmed down pint brush to help scrub the leading edges of the fins.

Then I wipe out the case with a tack cloth.

Then put everything back together again.

Yeah as Owin said, I use an Air Compressor as well.

Hold it back like 2 or 3ft and then spray air right in to it..

Just make sure your in a well ventilated area, if not you will get consumed by dust! Oh also, when your done blow your nose a few times get all the dust particles out of your nose lol!!

As for your computer not booting up I know you got it fixed, in the future a good thing to try is to just unplug everything and re-plug it in one by one.

Usually a culprit ends up being something got a bit loose. I used to have this problem all the time when I took my PC out to a bunch of LAN Partys n such.

Sometimes it happens with the case just sitting still.. No clue why.

Not sure if anyone mentioned since it was your ram, to maybe run memtest on it. Make sure both sticks are still good just to be sure.

Yeah as Owin said, I use an Air Compressor as well.

Hold it back like 2 or 3ft and then spray air right in to it..

Just make sure your in a well ventilated area, if not you will get consumed by dust! Oh also, when your done blow your nose a few times get all the dust particles out of your nose lol!!

As for your computer not booting up I know you got it fixed, in the future a good thing to try is to just unplug everything and re-plug it in one by one.

Usually a culprit ends up being something got a bit loose. I used to have this problem all the time when I took my PC out to a bunch of LAN Partys n such.

Sometimes it happens with the case just sitting still.. No clue why.

Not sure if anyone mentioned since it was your ram, to maybe run memtest on it. Make sure both sticks are still good just to be sure.

It was probably loose, because I ran stress tests (memtest, Prime95) multiple times to make sure it was stable and I did not get any errors.

Also, I'm going to use an air compressor, because the amount of dust in my case is not even funny anymore.

Edit: My neighbor has one that I can use, so that's pretty sweet.