Help me choose a new GPU?

Locutus

So, I currently have a 4870, and my fiance's computer has an 8800GS

I'm considering doing an upgrade for myself, and selling my 4870 to someone else. But I was also considering getting a 4870x2 and doing a tri-fire configuration.

If I do sell the 4870, I'm not sure exactly what card I want to buy. Since my board only supports Crossfire and not SLI, I'll have to get just one card instead of two. But then I'm also thinking about dual GPU cards (such as the GTX 295.)

I will have about 200 bucks for an upgrade, 300 if I sell my 4870. Help me get the best bang for my buck.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I currently have a 4870, and my fiance's computer has an 8800GS

I'm considering doing an upgrade for myself, and selling my 4870 to someone else. But I was also considering getting a 4870x2 and doing a tri-fire configuration.

If I do sell the 4870, I'm not sure exactly what card I want to buy. Since my board only supports Crossfire and not SLI, I'll have to get just one card instead of two. But then I'm also thinking about dual GPU cards (such as the GTX 295.)

I will have about 200 bucks for an upgrade, 300 if I sell my 4870. Help me get the best bang for my buck.

for $300 you could get

Dual 5770s: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=177147 $300

5850: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5271083 $290

470: http://www.beachaudio.com/Gigabyte-Technology/N465ud-1gi-p-379359.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gv-n465ud-1gi&utm_content=atr $288

460: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261075&cm_re=460-_-14-261-075-_-Product $230

Well, that 5850 looks damn sexy and I could head over to Comp USA and pick one up in person. The problem is that the last time I was there the guy who was "helping" me was showing me benchmark scores and swearing on his mother's grave that there's nothing better than the 5850.

Silly people. XD

Well, that 5850 looks damn sexy and I could head over to Comp USA and pick one up in person. The problem is that the last time I was there the guy who was "helping" me was showing me benchmark scores and swearing on his mother's grave that there's nothing better than the 5850.

Silly people. XD

haha, actually I'd say the 5770 duo or 470 would be the best buys for performance, and bang for buck goes to the 460 of course

haha, actually I'd say the 5770 duo or 470 would be the best buys for performance, and bang for buck goes to the 460 of course

Yeah, but buying two of something at once is never a good idea, it removes possible upgrades from the table.

The 470 and the 5850 are the two that are tearing at my heart. I'm not sure which one I want...the 5850 which has awesome performance, or the 470 which is also good but has amazing PPD when [email protected]

But I think that the 5850 is a better choice because I can upgrade again in the future without having to rebuild my PC. Thoughts?

Dude get 470 and Oc it u will get even more performance than the 5850 ,ur performance will match the 5870.and since ur a folder Nvidia is better for u,but these conditions only apply if ur getting the 470 less than or equal to the 5850 price,in my country the 470 is priced almost to the 5870 thats y it isnt popular here.

Looking more into the 470 makes me wonder when the dual GPU 460 card will be coming out. If it's some time in the next few months I might want to wait for it, since it would probably be the best choice for me (as long as it's under 400 bucks.)

EDIT: I think I'm in love...

The cooler is huge, but imagine the overclocking capabilities of this monster. <3

Looking more into the 470 makes me wonder when the dual GPU 460 card will be coming out. If it's some time in the next few months I might want to wait for it, since it would probably be the best choice for me (as long as it's under 400 bucks.)

The cooler is huge, but imagine the overclocking capabilities of this monster. <3

Holy giant cooler, Batman! That thing is tall! You'd have to get a 4xSLI mobo just to run 2 of those things!

Holy giant cooler, Batman! That thing is tall! You'd have to get a 4xSLI mobo just to run 2 of those things!

Haha yeah. As it is with just one, I'll have to move my PSU to the top of my case for better airflow. XD

Imagine the profits of that company overcharging so much for that, if you want to spend that much here:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=176945

$330 with free shipping for a 5870.

Imagine the profits of that company overcharging so much for that, if you want to spend that much here:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=176945

$330 with free shipping for a 5870.

The thing is, I don't really want another ATI card. The folding scores are terrible and overclocking them is 90% useless.