Need a new PSU

So yesterday my computer's power supply died and now I'm in need of a new one, unfortunately I don't know much about them. Any advice on what I should look for in a power supply? Currently I'm looking for something 500w or higher but I wasn't sure if I should spend a little more for something better for when I might upgrade down the road. At the moment I've got my eye on this rosewill psu, is this a good brand for power supplies? Any advice or recommendations for other power supplies would be appreciated.

The Rosewill power supplies have been hit and miss. If you get a good one then they work ok. Longevity is questionable though.

The power supply is one area in your rig that you don't want to skimp on. Unfortunately it's where most people do.

I'd recommend spending just a little bit more money and purchase this Corsair unit;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

You'll be happy that you did.

The Rosewill power supplies have been hit and miss. If you get a good one then they work ok. Longevity is questionable though.

The power supply is one area in your rig that you don't want to skimp on. Unfortunately it's where most people do.

I'd recommend spending just a little bit more money and purchase this Corsair unit;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

You'll be happy that you did.

Seems like corsair has the best reviews around so I think I'll go with that, I noticed that their 650w power supply is only $10 more than their 550w so I think I'll go with their 650w, plus with cheaper shipping and if I were to do the rebate I could get it at the same rebate price as the 550w I think it's a better price overall.

To be honest I don't know much about power supplies or how electricity works for that matter, words like amp and volt make no sense to me and I've had it explained quite a few times, so the idea of paying this kind of money for a power supply is a little odd to me. I think, like you said, I will be happy I did it down the road since I'm the kind of person to almost never shut down their computer, so the amount of time this thing can stay operational for is a big plus for me, and I'd assume that's part of where my money goes anyway.

Lastly I just want to say thanks, power supplies are probably the thing I know the least about it in computers so it's nice to get some advice on them.

I'm really glad that you've done some research on your own. The Corsair TX650 is an Outstanding choice. It will serve you well for a long time. Congrats!

Edited by wevsspot

Seems like corsair has the best reviews around so I think I'll go with that, I noticed that their 650w power supply is only $10 more than their 550w so I think I'll go with their 650w, plus with cheaper shipping and if I were to do the rebate I could get it at the same rebate price as the 550w I think it's a better price overall.

To be honest I don't know much about power supplies or how electricity works for that matter, words like amp and volt make no sense to me and I've had it explained quite a few times, so the idea of paying this kind of money for a power supply is a little odd to me. I think, like you said, I will be happy I did it down the road since I'm the kind of person to almost never shut down their computer, so the amount of time this thing can stay operational for is a big plus for me, and I'd assume that's part of where my money goes anyway.

Lastly I just want to say thanks, power supplies are probably the thing I know the least about it in computers so it's nice to get some advice on them.

Or this Antec 650W for $16 cheaper ;) or even $11 cheaper after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Antecs are good units :ouch:

fine, then here get this unit instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151091

Super Quality and more PCI-E connectors , STILL cheaper ;)

Antecs aren't bad, currently use the Signature 850W. ;)

... but for the money and the rebate that newegg is offering at the moment the Corsair TX650W is hard to beat!

Antecs aren't bad, currently use the Signature 850W. ;)

... but for the money and the rebate that newegg is offering at the moment the Corsair TX650W is hard to beat!

I just beat it :rolleyes: lol, unless you mean that specific antec isn't as good. I mean personally I do prefer a single rail as well but both are good. Is there something about the Corsair that gives it the edge?? You are the PSU guru that's why I ask, I want to learn so I can help people better :)