Is it time to put my 4870x2 down??

IVIYTH0S

460GTX vs HD4870x2  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Judging from my review below, which card would you choose??

Review:

I got the 460 to overclock to 885mhz/2040mhz/1770mhz (Core/Memory/Shader) and I'm having trouble with the decision still, I just run a few benchmarks with it and then popped my 4870x2 back in and ran the same benchmarks.

Which do you guys think I should do??

It seems to be like this:

Efficiency (total system wattage taken from my Kill-a-watt meter): 460 GTX

460 GTX (Idle: ~160W, Load: ~352W)

4870x2 (Idle: ~220W, Load: ~467W)

Size: 460 GTX

P1040336.jpg

Quietness: It's about even here, the 4870x2 would rev up to full some times but then turn off, whereas the 460's fan would ramp up and then stay on (but not be as loud).

Benchmarks:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=169202&view=findpost&p=1834037

Unigene Heaven(DX10): 4870x2

Unigene Tropics(DX10): Tie (since the 4870x2 is pretty much stock)

Unigene Heaven(DX11): 460 GTX

Unigene Tropics(DX11): 460 GTX

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=175408&view=findpost&p=1834033

StoneGiant(DX10): 4870x2

StoneGiant(DX11): 460 GTX

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=177201&view=findpost&p=1833952

Kombustor(DX10): 4870x2

Kombuster(DX11): 460 GTX

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=176018&view=findpost&p=1834017

Furmark 1.82: 460 GTX

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=176573&view=findpost&p=1834318

Cinebench: 4870x2

all those comparisons and I still can't choose!! :dunno:

As some of you know, I have a new favorite gpu (the 460 1GB). Now my 4870x2 is a tank and all but I just purchased a Palit 460 Sonic for my cousin, I'm debating about whether or not to just give her my 4870x2 and I take the 460 or if my 4870x2 is still better?? (naturally I'd overclock the 460)

I love the 460 for it's size, power consumption, folding ability (given since it's nvidia), and the obvious no worries about scaling.

The 4870x2 is hard to get rid of though since some reviews that include it still lets it bat back and forth with 5850s/5870s but not always consistently. In a perfect scaling scenario my 4870x2 is assuredly better but OC'd I'm wondering if the 460 is pretty much even with it (since the 460 OC'd can trade blows with a 5850, and even will beat it stock on some nvidia favored games)

This is a tough decision.

I'd give you upwards of 200 bucks for that 4870, which is a bit high seeing as I could get two single 4870s for under a hundred each. ;)

I want to tri-fire it with my 4870. <3

If I was you I'd take the GTX 460, but thats my personal preference. Or you could give her the GTX 460, get one for youself and give the 4870x2 to me, I wouldn't mind at all. :D

hmmm idk, what would you offer

I'd give you upwards of 200 bucks for that 4870, which is a bit high seeing as I could get two single 4870s for under a hundred each. ;)

I want to tri-fire it with my 4870. <3

Yeah but then I'd still have to pay $30 more for the 460 :mellow: , where as it would be an even trade with my cousin :P

hmmm idk, what would you offer

No offense but to think about it now... how much does that brick weight and then the lenght of it and now think about shipping it around the world :D Well anyway as I stated above, I'd take the GTX 460, but well it's pretty much up to what you like.

No offense but to think about it now... how much does that brick weight and then the lenght of it and now think about shipping it around the world :D Well anyway as I stated above, I'd take the GTX 460, but well it's pretty much up to what you like.

actually for S's & G's, a flat rate small box (which would fit the 4870x2) is only like $14USD

actually for S's & G's, a flat rate small box (which would fit the 4870x2) is only like $14USD

Oh yeah I forgot that sending a box from US to EU would be $14 but to send it from EU to US would be $40, just for the kicks of it and the fact that I get to live in such a nice place like Europe. Well unfortunately I don't have that kind of spare money atm.

Coming back to the topic... I don't think you'd have any problems with running games on the GTX 460. It's a good card and afaik handles the modern games quite well.

Edited by PingoPongo

Shoot, I didn't know I was competing with anyone.

EDIT: Actually, I didn't know they were ~200 on ebay (my earlier post was a complete shot in the dark.)

Does it have a custom cooler or anything? Otherwise I think I'll save up for my own 460 or better. XD

Shoot, I didn't know I was competing with anyone. I could offer you two fiddy + shipping?

Don't worry. I'm no competition if that's what you mean. I said I can't afford it atm.

I could get the card if i'd manage to show up @ IVI's door with a hovercraft tho :biggrin:

Edited by PingoPongo

id use the GTX 460 and oc it,and give the 4870x2 to ur cousin.cuz its new and powerful ,less heat and dx11 :biggrin:

I'm really leaning on this course of action

I think I second that. I agree it's a tough choice.

I know :ouch:

Shoot, I didn't know I was competing with anyone.

EDIT: Actually, I didn't know they were ~200 on ebay (my earlier post was a complete shot in the dark.)

Does it have a custom cooler or anything? Otherwise I think I'll save up for my own 460 or better. XD

Yeah that's what I'm saying, if i'm gonna switch cards this is my only option :cry:

Don't worry. I'm no competition if that's what you mean. I said I can't afford it atm.

I could get the card if i'd manage to show up @ IVI's door with a hovercraft tho :biggrin:

Fact!