My new build. Let me know what you think!

hawkin90

My current build, let me know what you think. It might be the final one if not someone has some very good ideas :)

It's a good system for overclocking and building/changing new parts later on

I'm gonna OC the i7.

Corsair Obsidian 800D Big Tower Black

Corsair HX 1000W PSU

Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-960

ASUS Rampage III Extreme, X58

Corsair H50 Hydro Series CPU Cooler

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 6GB CL9

XFX Radeon HD 5970 2GB GDDR5

Corsair SSD Force Series 2,5" 120GB

OEM SSD 2.5" to 3.5" Bracket SATA

Western Digital Caviar® Black™ 500GB

Western Digital Caviar® Black™ 500GB

Creative X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY champ

Edited by hawkin90

Why did you choose the i7 960 over the 930? Overclocks on the 960 aren't going to be much higher than the 930 using the H50 cooler. If you are going to fork out the cash for the 960 you might as well throw in a little extra and get the 970 for the extra 2cores/4threads or even go for the 980x for the bonus of an unlocked multiplier.

Okey. Thanks for reply.

There is no difference between the 960 and 930? If so I'm wasting my money. I mean the 400mhz in between them doesn't matter? What is the max I can OC the 930 with the H50?

Thanks for help.

Edited by hawkin90

Okey. Thanks for reply.

There is no difference between the 960 and 930? If so I'm wasting my money. I mean the 400mhz in between them doesn't matter? What is the max I can OC the 930 with the H50?

Thanks for help.

The only difference with the two is the multiplier. 930 has a 22 multi and 960 has 24 multi. With the h50 you will probably be limited to around 3.8ghz-4.0ghz with either chip because of temps. The extra multiplier is only really helpful when you are using extreme cooling and trying to squeeze every last bit out of the chip. the extra 400mhz isnt going to mean anything once its overclocked.

The only difference with the two is the multiplier.

Thats for the most part true, but not entirely. The better chips (higher model number) generally require less voltage to achieve similar clocks. The difference is miniscule though, and I agree that a 930 would be better for you than a 960 if for no other reason than the money. I got my chip to roughly 4.6GHz for benching using the H50, but its an EE processor, so you can probably expect a max OC at around 4.2GHz. At the end of the day though, one chip wont OC higher than the other, it will just require slightly less BCLK on one versus the other.