GTX 470 & 480 SLI

Sleinous

Hi,

OK so i'm thinking this is a silly question but...

Recently I bought a new rig with a GTX 470 in it. The whole thing is on an ASUS Rampage III Extreme and i'm wondering if it would be possible one day (when prices drop) to buy ANY other GTX 400 series card and put it in SLI with the GTX 470 or would it have to be the SAME GTX 470? I was thinking of GTX 480 or 490 basically. Like i said this is a future idea, (very very far away future).

Thanks

Jon

It needs to be paired up with another 470.

as OwinC said it would have to be another gtx470 to sli with your current card but it wouldnt have to be the same model any gtx470 aslong as it has the same amount of memory on it should sli fine.

technically he could sli 470 with a 480/490 but the problem with that will be that both cards will always run with the slower card's clock speeds. So to the OP: if you have a 470 + a 490, it'll be the same exact thing as if you were running two 470s.

I once wanted to do something like this with my current radeon 4870, and I wanted to crossfire it with a radeon 2600...soon after I learned that it's a bad idea to do that.

Okay, also however I read a topic about someone running 2 different GPUs (for folding) non SLI, that would be fine yeah? Just a diff hardware ID for each one I guess. Meh, 2x 470s will still last me many MANY months to come.

I stand corrected with the different Firmi cards in sli.

You can use any 8000 series on up Nvidia cards in tandem for folding.

You can mix Nvidia and ATI together folding.

I stand corrected with the different Firmi cards in sli.
You mean I can pair up a GTX 470 with any other fermi? for non folding? Or just folding, where you can also pair up any card model/make as long as its CUDA enabled or something.

You mean I can pair up a GTX 470 with any other fermi? for non folding? Or just folding, where you can also pair up any card model/make as long as its CUDA enabled or something.

as far as im aware you cant pair different cards sli maybe for folding but not for gaming

K so I have 2 options, pair up 2x GTX 470s in the future. In which case id only be able to fold on one if the game im playing doesnt support SLI. Or.. get a GTX 490 or whatever they chose to release, (infact any nvid or ati card for that matter... and fold on the old GTX 470 or on the new card depending on the game I wish to play (obviously not putting them in sli or anything).

K so I have 2 options, pair up 2x GTX 470s in the future. In which case id only be able to fold on one if the game im playing doesnt support SLI. Or.. get a GTX 490 or whatever they chose to release, (infact any nvid or ati card for that matter... and fold on the old GTX 470 or on the new card depending on the game I wish to play (obviously not putting them in sli or anything).

how much is the 490 gonna cost though??