dsedean

final fantasy XIV

Then the RPG element is removed, and the game is no longer an RPG :)

Well not exactly, but that also has nothing to do with turn-based versus "live action", although there has been debate over the distinction. It's more of stat-based vs. twitch-based. Stat-based and turn-based are mutually exclusive. You can have the former without the latter. Most MMOs are the former, not the latter. Stat-based combat systems aren't considered turn-based because there are no distinct turns. One character may hit once every second, while another hits once ever 1.2 seconds. Then you have spells/skills that could be used at any point, although they're often on cooldowns. If you can't define a turn, then does a turn actually exist? Again, people have debated this, but IMO, the answer is a clear NO.

As for whether moving to a twitch-based system (where human skill determines whether you hit or miss, not a dice roll) move the game away from being an RPG, that's also debatable, and why people label games that attempt that as cross-genre games, like Borderlands. I think it'd be nice to have a fully twitch-based, non-shooter RPG, but there are a lot of obstacles to overcome in order to accomplish that.

Specifically in Final Fantasy games, if you took away the stat element, you'd be left with very little.

Games like Fallout 3 are considered FPSRPG and work very well - games that rely on foundations similar to those in Final Fantasy (ie a Dungeons and Dragons style of approach be it past, present or future) are not really suited to it.

IVY is referring to a step well outside the FF standard genre with CC, but the battle system in FF13 was sort of "twitch", in that you had to be very quick in some battles to ensure you set your paradigms correctly before attacks and the like.

Yeah but Crisis Core was a FF and works great. Though I must say the game has an equivalent flaw to accompany it's pro. All leveling is random, and is decided through probability.

Beings as psp's arent that popular, I'm still going to guess you've played Kingdom Hearts right, that's the kinda gamelay I'm after with singleplayer FF's

Okay.

:thumbsup:

All jokes aside, this should be more like WoW than a typical FF game to be honest, though it will have similarities of course.

Yeah, I figured an MMO couldn't be fully JRPGish, as that would be rather boring waiting for others to take turns IMO. But in any case, when it comes to MMO, I'm holding out for SWTOR.

I'd say FF7 Crisis Core had the best battle system because it was live action (like Kingdom Hearts). I'm liking turn based less and less. I've seen FFXIII and it's a mixture of both, but why not just be live action?? They push closer and closer to it but refuse to just be done with turn based all together. I understand for MMO's live action might be a little much but for single player there's no excuse, I don't want to click dodge or something and have some virtual probability program decide whether my foe's attack hits me or not, I should be deciding that.

well I have the CE preordered already. cannot wait to play it on 9/22.

my cousin is in beta, he says its sweet.

Then the RPG element is removed, and the game is no longer an RPG :)

Specifically in Final Fantasy games, if you took away the stat element, you'd be left with very little.

Games like Fallout 3 are considered FPSRPG and work very well - games that rely on foundations similar to those in Final Fantasy (ie a Dungeons and Dragons style of approach be it past, present or future) are not really suited to it.

IVY is referring to a step well outside the FF standard genre with CC, but the battle system in FF13 was sort of "twitch", in that you had to be very quick in some battles to ensure you set your paradigms correctly before attacks and the like.

ok lets start with final fantasy xi. it was released years before WOW. WOW kind of took a lot of final fantasy xi players i remember about 20% left final fantasy in the first year of WOW.

now lets talk about final fantasy XIV the battle system is a lot lot different from XIII. i have chosen gladiator and started with just quick stab and fast slash. you chose them this is a level 1 physical level 1.

the characters to choose from are very simular to final fantasy XI but you go into more detail then XI inside each speices you can choose race, build, looks, and can even put scars on your face (i am elvan dude in world Ultimicia)

you now need to choose a first name and a surname for you character.

i think when the game comes out i will be the big galka looking thing..

i refure to the XI names as i can't remember the new names yet.

but please remember each final fantasy is different each time.

so enjoy it. my problem is my laptop struggles to play it sometimes :( bluddy piece of CR*P)

I'd love to comment on the FFXIV gameplay, but I like many others, have not had much joy getting past the character creation screen so far :) Hopefully the Beta will continue for a few days in the next window.

With a two month window before the intended retail date, I'm not feeling too confident right now! But I've never gotten into a subscription game before, and this seems to be a decent alternative to WoW on the face of it. Here's to getting into the game to find out for sure!

I'd love to comment on the FFXIV gameplay, but I like many others, have not had much joy getting past the character creation screen so far :) Hopefully the Beta will continue for a few days in the next window.

With a two month window before the intended retail date, I'm not feeling too confident right now! But I've never gotten into a subscription game before, and this seems to be a decent alternative to WoW on the face of it. Here's to getting into the game to find out for sure!

wait till you get to play it. what server/ world are you trying to go on? the first part ou start off in a boat and have a rookie fight, don't worry you can't die you get heald by an npc white mage/medic once you get into yellow health. make sure when you aer in battle to combo your moves you should get two in total.

XI was better then WOW specially with DRAGOON and SUMMON jobs, unfortunatly we must wait for summon job and i doubt dragoon will be back with a wyvern as they have lancer :( shame but hay it's a new final fantasy.

Dean UK

The Beta test day has been plagued with server issues and barely anyone got in today, but never mind. I'm due to be on the Sephiroth server ... once I get in there.

Will wait patiently to see when the the next beta test schedule is.

The Beta test day has been plagued with server issues and barely anyone got in today, but never mind. I'm due to be on the Sephiroth server ... once I get in there.

Will wait patiently to see when the the next beta test schedule is.

:withstupid: I want to get into the next beta for sure (if there is one), I loved FFXI

:withstupid: I want to get into the next beta for sure (if there is one), I loved FFXI

Perhaps I didn't explain that well - the Beta is still closed, but Square Enix have scheduled dates for people on the closed Beta to be able to log in and play online - it's not on 24/7 right now. In fact, they've barely managed to get the log in to work at all since moving from Alpha to Beta!

Perhaps I didn't explain that well - the Beta is still closed, but Square Enix have scheduled dates for people on the closed Beta to be able to log in and play online - it's not on 24/7 right now. In fact, they've barely managed to get the log in to work at all since moving from Alpha to Beta!

Yeah I realized how I mistook that the second I clicked post. :pfp: but I just let it be. Well enjoy it, keep us updated! (get some screenshots too :woot: )

Yeah I realized how I mistook that the second I clicked post. :pfp: but I just let it be. Well enjoy it, keep us updated! (get some screenshots too :woot: )

WIll check to see if screens are allowed (should be?), and that of course, assumes I get online some time!

edit: EULA says no screens etc in Beta unless an announcement says otherwise.

WIll check to see if screens are allowed (should be?), and that of course, assumes I get online some time!

edit: EULA says no screens etc in Beta unless an announcement says otherwise.

ah well, I'll just be all the more on the edge of my seat. I can't wait for some kinda free 10 days of play or something to try it, then I'll make me a nice Lalafell. (I miss my old TaruTaru character)