Please help me choose a case.....

Hi guys/gals.....

I really need to make a choice already about what case to get and would love to get some help.....

I REALLY WANTED the Silverstone Fortress 2 (FT02) very badly...... but unfortunately it will cost me 420$ instead of 230$ because I would have to get it shipped to my country :(

I am going to have to compromise..... I have narrowed it down to 4 models each with their own downsides (the FT02 was/is PERFECT in my eyes) :

1) Lian-li PC-A70F - not too sure about the cooling capabilities for lack of any benchmarks and not too hot for it's looks but can live with it.....liking how easy it is to clean the intake fans although not liking the 140mm-only fan mounts in the front for lack of many good 140mm fans with 140mm mounts to replace them with (most I have seen come with 120mm mounts) and hate LEDs on my fans... will have to buy two 140mm fans to replace the ones on the front...plus I'm a little weary that it will be a noisy case......

2)Lian-li PC-A71F - Liking the looks more than the A70F model but again not sure about cooling capabilities and really hate the thought of having to take out 10 screws just to clean the intake fan filters....not liking the 140mm intake fan-only option in this case as well.....could be less noisy than the A70F (if that one IS in fact a noisy case.....not sure)

3) Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Like the looks but doesn't seem to be a great air cooling case...not the worst but an average performer for air cooling as it seems from reviews....I also have a lot of dust around me and don't like negative pressure in my cases but could live with it if the cooling is better than in the Lian-li's.....

4) Silverstone Fortress FT01 - Like the looks of it and the positive pressure....hate that I can't get to the top fan's filter to clean it without disassembling the whole fan and maybe even my whole CPU cooler as it seems to me.... like the CPU cooling in the case but don't like the GPU cooling capabilities....would probably have to use a dremel and cut some aluminum from this case so I could get to the top fan's filter and void any warranty I get....

I hope you can give me some good advice and if anyone has one of these cases I would love to hear your opinions.....

Thank you very much in advance....

PS to ADMIN:

I tried to register an account previously but I think I might have mistyped my email...... the username I used was "RockYourAzz" and I think the email was mistakenly typed without a "k" ......I waited for a verification email and it didn't arrive so I think something went wrong there...... I apologize for any inconvenience and I ask to delete the failed account if possible..... Sorry and thanks.....

EDIT:

I now have the funds to get a Silverstone FT02 (.....Thanks dad :thumbsup: ) so the options have kinda changed to only two models: the FT02 (silver or black?) or the Lian-li PC-A71F........

Edited by Rock

Heya Rock, and welcome to OCC :)

I'll put my vote in for the Lian-li PC-A71F.

Why? I'm a fan of hinged doors for one, it reduces noise from the intake fan and just looks sharp. Plus I'm a huge hater of LED fans, I enjoy my case being quiet, dark and classy. :happy:

The A70F has LED fans, that's a deal beaker for me. The Raven 01... meh... never liked it that much. The ATCS seems like a really good WC case, but I kinda doubt it's air cooling capability although it does look great lol. Also, the A71F uses two 140mm fans that operate at 1000rpm's. which really isn't that high overall, which in theory should translate to a very quiet operation level! I currently own the Silverstone FT01, and the stock 180mm fans were much quieter than I anticipated, at about 3 feet they are inaudible. Larger fans in general are quieter in my experience.. which isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

Also, the A71F covers it, but positive pressure rocks... It's awesome, you'll love it!

Edited by Munkypoo7

Hi Munkypoo7......Thanks a lot for your reply..... and for the warm welcome :)

I am wondering if you like your Silverstone FT01 and if you find the top 180mm fan difficult to get to and clean? ooo........ and if you would recommend it over the Lian-li as you might have mistaken the name of the Fortress 1 to the Raven 1 in my post?

Again, Thank you Munkypoo7.... nice username BTY :)

Hi Munkypoo7......Thanks a lot for your reply..... and for the warm welcome :)

I am wondering if you like your Silverstone FT01 and if you find the top 180mm fan difficult to get to and clean? ooo........ and if you would recommend it over the Lian-li as you might have mistaken the name of the Fortress 1 to the Raven 1 in my post?

Again, Thank you Munkypoo7.... nice username BTY :)

Haha thanks :P

My FT01 is actually really easy to clean, but it seems I got a newer revision of the case, or something, because it isn't like most other FT01's.... I havent modded it at all, but the filters are extremely easy to clean, I'll show you what I mean (Excuse the crappy pics, I'm in no way a photographer... I'm camera disabled lol)

p7200002b.th.jpgp7200001b.th.jpg

While I'm assuming you are referring to this:

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/10/silverstone-ft01-review/14.jpg

(Image courtesy of Bit tech)

Instead of removing it from the interior it kicks out to the side, making removal and cleaning a super easy job :)

I *would* recommend the FT01 over the Lian-Li, only if you get this revision, as the original one is just the creation of someone having a brain fart. However the FT01 is a mid tower, not a full tower ;) Also, I'm just not a fan of the Raven, dunno why, but I never liked the look of it :\

edited for typos because they suck.

Edited by Munkypoo7

Lol Munkypoo7....

What a coincidence..... I knew that avatar looked familiar but since it wasn't licking the screen I thought you were someone else :)

Just because of your comment in a silverstone cases forum about getting the new revision of the FT01 I called, annoyed and made the warehouse guys check to see if the FT01 they have there is the new revision I have read you got...... small world :) I even saved that picture of your case to show them I wasn't crazy :)

Unfortunately it was the older revision and once again dreams were shattered..... O cruel world..... (sometimes people get really dramatic about their hardware)

The FT01 could have been close to perfect for me if only it would have gone through some QA in its first outing :(

I still have a few more days to decide but right now I am still a bit torn between cooling, functionality and looks.....

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out Munkypoo7.....

PS

I don't mind getting a mid tower as long as I get to have room for at least 6 hard drives....

PS#2

I also hate the looks of both raven cases with their cheap looking plastic facade......just so you won't think your alone.....and from what I seem to read from others - you aren't..... not by a long shot :) it is very unusual in my eyes for a silverstone case to be "ugly" but those cases proved me wrong..... unfortunately

Edited by Rock

Damn........... I was almost secure about my decision with the Lian-li PC-A71F and now I'm getting second thoughts about the cooling capabilities of the case since it seems like the front fans are in quite a distance from the CPU......... Thinking maybe I should splash in more money and get that Silverstone FT02 after all.........but then I wouldn't have the room for all the hard drives I want......... or maybe I will as I can always get five more in there with 5.25" to 3.5" adapters and have 10 drives......although they might heat up too much for lack of airflow to them..........and I would also have to decide if I want a window or not and that would take me another month to decide........AAAAAAAAA to many choices!!!!!!!! :doh:

If anyone has the Lian-li PC-A71F case or the Silverstone FT02 or even might have both (VERY slim chance....I know) please post some CPU and HDD temperatures..........please..........or maybe send me some money (if you send enough I might even stop posting these annoying posts here - you will be heroes)

Thank again and sorry for being a bit annoying....... I have an extremely hard time deciding anything......... :dunno:

The fans being far aren't a problem. As long as air is getting in the case, the back fans are pushing air out the back and forcing air to fill that now empty space (and so the air is still moving over the cooler).

Thanks for the help tkrow21...... I guess I'm just being very anal about this........ I'm looking for the most optimal air cooling and seems to me the air that will get to the CPU and GPU will be somewhat warmed by the hard drives as opposed to the silverstone case and there isn't any intake fan mounted in front of the CPU like I would prefer...... thanks though - it bothers me a bit less now for some reason........hmmm..........humans are quite simple sometimes....... or maybe it's just me....... :thx:

Thanks stars1........ The Lian-li is my main contender to the FT02 (I have gathered the funds to invest in it......)...... So I'm now torn between the Fortress 2 and the PC-A71F.......

Thanks again......

PS

by the way how are your temperatures with the A70F?

Hey..... I just wanted to thank you for your help and your warm welcome...... I hope I wasn't too annoying :biggrin: ........ I would also like to say that sometimes good things come to those who wait and I'm very happy I waited this long to make my decision because today I found out that a supplier in my country is bringing the FT02 at a much more reasonable price in three weeks (i've already made an order)....... So I guess this is it and I'll be getting my original choice - the FT02..... without having to spend more than I originally intended......yey!!! (or yeay.....whatever....) :woo:

Thanks again for helping (trying to anyway..... :D )