PS3 Deals?

Capo

Hi All,

Simple question - so I'm finally thinking of getting a PS3. What model is the best one to go for? Are there any specials going on right now or any which are coming up soon?

Assume I know nothing. :)

Thanks!

First off, depends where you are? Europe? Americas? Asia?

And secondly, the newest model is always the best. As for special offers, the usual are:

• Normal PS3 + Game
  • Normal PS3 + Larger HDD + Game

Or, in this case, which I recomend you get:

When it becomes available.

If you are looking for the Game + PS3 bundles, Play.com would be one of your best bets:

http://www.play.com/...2/2-/Promo.html

Edited by MrAlex

And secondly, the newest model is always the best.

Not if you like backwards compatability with PS2/1 games then don't both with the slims. Unfortunatly, they are almost everything that you can find nowdays so you are probably gonna be stuck with that.

Logic Buy is a good site to use for deal-shopping, no matter what you are looking for. They have two deals listed right now, one with 1 game & 3 Blu-Ray movies, and the other with LBP and a HDMI cable.

I know how it goes though, I finally caved and got my first console since 2000 (first edition PS2) in my 360S. I'll need it at college with Steam's ports blocked and all. :(

Not if you like backwards compatability with PS2/1 games then don't both with the slims. Unfortunatly, they are almost everything that you can find nowdays so you are probably gonna be stuck with that.

Logic Buy is a good site to use for deal-shopping, no matter what you are looking for. They have two deals listed right now, one with 1 game & 3 Blu-Ray movies, and the other with LBP and a HDMI cable.

I know how it goes though, I finally caved and got my first console since 2000 (first edition PS2) in my 360S. I'll need it at college with Steam's ports blocked and all. :(

Why does your college block steam?

All PS3s play PS1 games, slims don't do PS2 is all.

I wouldn't worry about the hard drive in your PS3 either, they use a regular 2.5" sata drive so you can upgrade that yourself if you find you need more hard drive space down the road.

Also, I wouldn't recommend any kind of bundle unless you know for sure you want the extras and it's actually a good deal compared to what you could get those extras for separately.

Edited by Deathmineral

Unless you buy a used one, I don't think you will find a PS3 that can play PS2 games.

PS3 Model History

I can't view this website from where I am currently at, but this website might give you the information you need if backwards compatibility is a make/break deal for you.

I'd just buy the Slim, unless you'd rather have the piano black gloss finish on it. I own the Slim but haven't owned the previous versions so I can't compare the differences. Like DM said though... I wouldn't do a bundle unless its actually a good deal (costs less than what you'd pay for each individual item) ...and you actually want the game(s) that come with it. Another thing I don't like about bundles is that they usually include the older model in them ...and yes, this applies to the Slim as well. If you decide to go with the Slim the newer model is CECH-2101B (well for the 250GB version) which has a 40nm chip instead of a 65nm one. Most bundles will give you the 65nm version. May not be a huge deal to you, or you may prefer it ...either way it something to take note. Only real advantage is better energy savings, which should result in less heat generated.

I'd buy it from the place that gives you the most benefits since its going to be the same price regardless where you go. So if you like Best Buy for reward zone points... buy it there. Got stuff to trade in, then sometimes GameStop runs pretty good deals ...but their deals change each week. You may want to check out Amazon, no sales tax and no delivery cost is hard to beat ...and sometimes they do have good deals on bundles. Last time I was poking around there I thought I saw the 250GB model with a game and I think an HDMI cable for the same price as the no bundle 250GB model. Probably has the 65nm graphics chip in it, but if that means nothing to you ...then worth poking around on there to see what they have these days.

I vote for the PS3 Slim model.

I have the MGS 4 80GB model and it supports backwards compatibility. I don't use it for backwards compatibility. I mean if you still got PS2 games just plug in the PS2. It not that big of a deal.

Edited by Krazyxazn