CPU Speed Gauge or Speedometer

Hi I was wondering if anyone know were i could get a cpu speed dial/gauge/speedometer to put on the front of my case.

Thanks

Well I know of a few CPU usage type gauges but you would need a small lcd screen on your case to use them. I like the idea but unless you are using power saving features or intel turbo boost it might be a kind of boring gauge unless you plan to overclock on the fly. I have seen LCD screens on some very high end modded cases but I can not find them right now.

I am going for a retro car dash buffed walnut chrome dials the whole deal.

Sounds really cool but I just can not wrap my head around how to make that work. You could preset the the CPU Speedometer to the speed you plan to run the processor at and have a the small motor in the electronic gauges (I assume) move the speedometer slowly to that speed, say over the course of 7 seconds or you could do it for the time it takes to start up.

You could use the inside of a ampermeter (not the digital one of course) and then get some kind of a custom dash on it. If you attach the wires from the ampermeter to the CPU power connector then I think it should show the amperage used by the CPU. The lower the CPU usage the less watts it uses, but as the volts are locked it has to lower the ampers and other way around for when CPU usage increases. Theoretically it should work. I'm not sure about how to connect the ampermeter to the CPU power connector tho... I mean it has either 4 or 8 pins and I honestly don't know to wich you should attach it to.

Oh and of course you could use a wattmeter instead of a ampermeter. Basicly you could just test the the pins with a multimeter while the PC is running and see which pins give you a reading on the multimeter. It should be totally safe, unless you short circuit some pins with one probe. Or you could ask Paul (paulktreg) about measuring the CPU's wattage/amperage as he know quite a lot about PSUs and electricity overall.

Edited by PingoPongo

You could use the inside of a ampermeter (not the digital one of course) and then get some kind of a custom dash on it. If you attach the wires from the ampermeter to the CPU power connector then I think it should show the amperage used by the CPU. The lower the CPU usage the less watts it uses, but as the volts are locked it has to lower the ampers and other way around for when CPU usage increases. Theoretically it should work. I'm not sure about how to connect the ampermeter to the CPU power connector tho... I mean it has either 4 or 8 pins and I honestly don't know to wich you should attach it to.

Oh and of course you could use a wattmeter instead of a ampermeter. Basicly you could just test the the pins with a multimeter while the PC is running and see which pins give you a reading on the multimeter. It should be totally safe, unless you short circuit some pins with one probe.

Take your word for it. is there like a step by step guide or just trial and error.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Take your word for it. is there like a step by step guide or just trial and error.

Pretty much trial and error. Just make sure you have the multimeter on right settings so you won't fry it.

SpeedCrazy

If you want the meter to show actual CPU clock it can be done but it'll be difficult and probably involve some serious electronics to drive an analogue frequency meter to read let's say 0 ~ 5 GHz. They may be available of the shelf but they'd probably be digital and quite expensive. If you want the meter to just "do" things then can I suggest you use an analogue ammeter in the ATX12V/EPS12V connector or a 6 pin PCI-E connector. You'd have to break all the yellow wires of either connector, connect them altogether, power supply end to meter positive and motherboard/graphic card bound wires to meter negative. A 6 pin PCI-E cable is supposed to be rated at 75W or 6A so something like a 0 ~ 10A ammeter would probably be OK for either option.

Need any help just ask. ;)

If you are able to explain n detail how to make a meter actually show cpu clock i would be very interested.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to make a basic one by writing a program to follow and transmit the cpu speeds to a usb device that could have a very basic meter on it.