Sign in to follow this  
brad257

Which HDD - (500GB) F3/Baracuda/Caviar Black

As the topic title which HDD is the fastest/best for gaming system out of these drives, I cant afford/justify a raptor or SSD.

Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache (WD5001AALS)

Seagate 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache (ST3500418AS)

Any suggestions and opions would be greaty appreciated

Thanks Guys

I have two Samsung drives, one is an F3 1000GB, I'm perfectly happy. If I were you, I'd get the 1TB version though, it's only 20$ more!

I have the Caviar Black Sata 6GBPS 1TB and it works perfectly so the 500gb Sata 3gbps should too , I previously had a Seagate 1Tb but it got corrupt , WD and Samsung seem like better quality to me . If you are only looking at the mentioned 500gb series and dont want to spend any more then get the Caviar Black since the cache is larger and will assist in tasks such as gaming . You wont really use all 500gb unless you have like a hundred games and a lot of work files . Seems like the Caviar Black is the way to go if your fine with spending a little extra for the larger cache.

I'm also a fan of the WD Caviar Black line up.

I had one Sammy F3 drive (1TB) go bad on me, and Samsung had the gall to say it was my fault it decided to start clicking and die. They actually blamed my PSU, which at the time was a Corsair TX750W, which I knew had zero issues otherwise all of my other components would be toasted as well. The instant they told me that I literally hit the hard drive with an axe and then a sledgehammer, then picked u the pieces and threw it in the little Miami-Dade roller dumpster.

Went to Best Buy the next day, did a price match from their own site, and got my 1TB Black Caviar for $65 + tax. Haven't had an issue since, and knowing that I have one of, if not the best hard drive customer support team behind me, I'm more than satisfied. (that sounds wrong in retrospect... but whatever).

On the side, having a little extra cache on the WD makes the deal sweeter as well, while for normal use you may not notice much, in game you actually might, well my little brother did when he was at 16mb vs 32mb.. might have been a placebo effect, but he was happier :)

TL;DR---> Get the Black Caviar :happy:

Thanks for this, it is a very interesting drive and I am deffinately going to take this into consideration

This drive seems to be dubbed as a Laptop HDD I know its a 2.5inch drive but how come it is being marketed as a laptop drive and not an all rounder?

Ivy,

I was quickly going to point the OP to a couple of WD Black Edition 1TB drives stroked in RAID0.

But that review has got me thinking :)

I wonder what would happen to disk performance if you stroked those down to say 320GB of usable disk space in a RAID0 configuration?

I'll bet they would be close in performance (benchmarking anyway) to the full SSD performance.....

edit - doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love from buyers at NewEgg - but pricing has come down.

Edited by wevsspot

Ivy,

I was quickly going to point the OP to a couple of WD Black Edition 1TB drives stroked in RAID0.

But that review has got me thinking :)

I wonder what would happen to disk performance if you stroked those down to say 320GB of usable disk space in a RAID0 configuration?

I'll bet they would be close in performance (benchmarking anyway) to the full SSD performance.....

edit - doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love from buyers at NewEgg - but pricing has come down.

Yeah I'd be curious of that too, I've been pondering doing something similar to my Veloci since it's really not that fast anymore lol (the stroking down part, not the raid :D)

raid-o or short stroke isn't gonna matter. Access time (combined with throuput of course) is where it's at with SSD's and you aren't gonna touch 0.1ms with any mechanical drive.