gigabyte vs asus

wich is better for AMD i've seen two i like problem is i can't choose i am like a kid....

processor: phenom II x6

Gigabyte AM3 AMD 890FX DDR3 ATX

VS

Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX DDR3 ATX

please advise me

Dean UK

dsedean - are you looking at the UD5 or UD7 version of the Gigabyte board?

to be honest i do not know, i want one that can handle Final Fantasy XIV with out a problem, my cousin said hes giving me this nvidia evga 790i ultra, but i am not to sure if it is any good, i know i would have to buy intel and i have no idea about intel..... hence why i was sticking to amd.... but i have 3 choices now.. and it is stressing me out as i got the money i just don't want to waste it on crap...

Dean UK

If the board your cousin is giving you actually works.... it is a very nice board..... and even better its free!

I'd be going that route.

There is a fairly substantial difference between the UD5 and UD7 versions of the Gigabyte boards in both features and price.. If you were looking at the UD5 Gigabyte board, then I would get the Asus instead. If you were looking at the UD7 Gigabyte board, I would get it instead of the Asus.

However - let me emphasize that if you're getting a working evga 790i board for free, that makes you the grand prize winner! Now keep in mind that you would be going with "yesterdays" technology if you went this route (socket 775) but it is still a very solid and reliable platform.

If the board your cousin is giving you actually works.... it is a very nice board..... and even better its free!

I'd be going that route.

There is a fairly substantial difference between the UD5 and UD7 versions of the Gigabyte boards in both features and price.. If you were looking at the UD5 Gigabyte board, then I would get the Asus instead. If you were looking at the UD7 Gigabyte board, I would get it instead of the Asus.

However - let me emphasize that if you're getting a working evga 790i board for free, that makes you the grand prize winner! Now keep in mind that you would be going with "yesterdays" technology if you went this route (socket 775) but it is still a very solid and reliable platform.

:( yesterdays technology :( problem is would it run well with new upcomming games or is it out dated? also if known when was the board made (year)

also can it be overclocked?

Like i said as long as i can play the listed games with out any problems i will be happy, also would it run the I5 3.6 ghz i found one searching on google approx £240

but as you stated yes it's free and i supose i could upgrade after a while to a foxconn-bloodrage my cousin is getting this and he said he can get it me for £80 i do not know if the foxconn-bloodrage is good for gaming (can you tell i know little about motherboards) :)

but i think i will concentrate on the nvidia one before that and get the detailing of the board and see what we can do. :)

Dean UK

I would not recommend the LGA 775 ,it is a dead socket,If ur getting the 1055T and ur gonna oc then get the asus board,u can get higher reference clocks on asus ones,But if ur not gonna Oc get neone mobo which is the cheapest cuz both companys are good but i like gigabyte more,but are u gonna crossfire,cuz if ur not going crossfire,get the mobos which have 890gx chipset and save some cash,mobos are not that important for gaming other than ocing,if u want the latest games to work would get a 890gx mobo like this http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_m4a89gtd_pro_usb3/ and a 5870

I challenge anyone to honestly say that a good socket 775 board paired with a dual/quad core processor and great VGA card(s) won't run any current game and most of those being released in the foreseeable future. That's just hog wash.

The OP is going to drop $160 to $200 on a new board when that money could be put towards video card(s).

The eVGA 790i Ultra is a great board! Pair it with an E8400 Wolfdale, Q8400 Yorkfield or Q9550 Yorkfield and twin GTX 460 1GB cards and you've got a screamer that will blow through anything on the shelves.

Of course in the end the choice is yours, but presented with the same options, I'd take the free board and update as I noted above.

I challenge anyone to honestly say that a good socket 775 board paired with a dual/quad core processor and great VGA card(s) won't run any current game and most of those being released in the foreseeable future. That's just hog wash.

The OP is going to drop $160 to $200 on a new board when that money could be put towards video card(s).

The eVGA 790i Ultra is a great board! Pair it with an E8400 Wolfdale, Q8400 Yorkfield or Q9550 Yorkfield and twin GTX 460 1GB cards and you've got a screamer that will blow through anything on the shelves.

Of course in the end the choice is yours, but presented with the same options, I'd take the free board and update as I noted above.

+1, Better off dumping the money into the video cards. I was going to upgrade and then decided to just get a 5870. Much happier with that choice for the money. Very few games even come close to touching a quad cores potential.

Also Gigabyte all the way for the record.

+1, Better off dumping the money into the video cards. I was going to upgrade and then decided to just get a 5870. Much happier with that choice for the money. Very few games even come close to touching a quad cores potential.

Also Gigabyte all the way for the record.

ok well you guys have talked me into taking the mobo off my cousin, hes happy to give it to me so i told him i will take him to alton towers :)

so looks like i will keep an eye out for a good quality graphics card and ram soon you all will see this mobo in the system build, i think i am leaning for a 3.6 processor maybe an i5 or duel core. but i do want a top notch processor.. shame i did want AMD but hay life don't go to plan.

.....i think i am leaning for a 3.6 processor maybe an i5 or duel core....

Just to clear things up here, you can only fit a socket 775 CPU into that motherboard, like Wevs suggested;

Pair it with an E8400 Wolfdale, Q8400 Yorkfield or Q9550 Yorkfield and twin GTX 460 1GB cards and you've got a screamer that will blow through anything on the shelves.