Gaming - GTX 460 & 1080p or 1920x1200

I am currently thinking of purchasing a new graphics card and a monitor to accompany it. I've been looking at a price point of about 400 for both. Right now i am looking at a GTX 460 1GB, and a 1080p or 1920x1200 monitor. I know that the 1GB of vram will definitely help on most games at higher resolution and that is why i picked it. Currently, these are the products I am looking at:

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 460 1GB External Exhaust

Monitor: ASUS 23" 1080p Monitor

Here are my questions:

1. Will the GTX 460 be able to push the 1080p or 1920x1200 monitor at max specs in games at a FPS of at least 30(I know it probably wont be able to touch Crysis at 1080 and a 30 FPS frame rate, but i can do with just high, not very high)?

2. Will I be able to run the game at 1600x900 on a 1080p monitor, or 1680x1050 on a 1920x1200 without the monitor having any problems besides the lower resolution(you might not understand what i am saying)?

3. How high do you think I can push the GTX 460 in overclocking? I've seen them as high as 840mhz stable, but it has varied from what i have seen. Is it safe to say 800mhz stable?

4. Are all current games able to run on 1080p? or may they need 1920x1200? This is very crucial to my decision.

5. Can a 1920x1200 monitor run 1080p? Can a 1080p monitor run 1680x1050?

6. I know that the GTX 460 card i am looking at is only at the preorder stage, but when do you think it will be on newegg? I want the external exhaust feature because of my case design.

7. Will I be able to run my current EVGA 9800GT 1GB as a sole physx card alongside my new GTX 460?

8. Last but not least, I have a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Motherboard, and I have two PCIe slots and two PCI slots. Naturally, my GTX 460 would go into my PCIe 1 slot, and the 9800GT into the second slot. Then my PCI wireless card would go between them in the only open PCI slot. But one problem, since P55 chipsets only allow 1 x16 PCIe lane, the PCIe lanes would split into x8 and x8. At this point, would the added physx card give me any benifit over just the GTX 460 doing rendering and physx in a x16 lane?

Current Graphics Card: EVGA 9800GT 1GB

Current Monitor: Dell 1024x768 Monitor

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. yes and yes you can push Crysis to very high at 1080p, but you'll have to live without AA

2. yes, the monitor will just stretch or shrink the image and make it look weird though

3. 800+ is what I've been seeing

3. yes, in fact any game should have support for any resolution (if they were programmed right)

4. see #3

5. yes. yes

6. They should restock the second half of this month

7. depends on your motherboard. If it has 2 PCIe ports then yes it can

8. yes...if you play a game with heavy Physx use i.e. Batman: AA

hmm, I looked at your Mobo specs and the second PCIe slot will run at x4 which will bottleneck the 9800GT, but having it will still add FPS to the Physx games

1024x768? this is going to be one hell of an upgrade

1. yes and yes you can push Crysis to very high at 1080p, but you'll have to live without AA

That's kind of what I figured.

2. yes, the monitor will just stretch or shrink the image and make it look weird though

But since they are the same aspect ratio, will the stretching and shrinking not occur? The only thing I could see happening is that it would be like pixel doubling.

3. 800+ is what I've been seeing

Great. What I'll probably do is put it at around 800MHz.

3. yes, in fact any game should have support for any resolution (if they were programmed right)

Alright great to here. I was just worried because I was looking around and to take crysis for example, I looked like they didn't have a 1080p resolution for it. The only way that you could is by making a custom resolution in the control panel or something like that.... True?

5. yes. yes

Good. The only difference in image quality is that it will be stretched correct?

6. They should restock the second half of this month

Well is restocking same as releasing?

7. depends on your motherboard. If it has 2 PCIe ports then yes it can

8. yes...if you play a game with heavy Physx use i.e. Batman: AA

hmm, I looked at your Mobo specs and the second PCIe slot will run at x4 which will bottleneck the 9800GT, but having it will still add FPS to the Physx games

This one I overlooked. I forgot that it runs x16 and x4. Not just x16 then if the other is in use x8 & x8. The x16 slots goes directly into the CPU lane, and the x4 goes to the chipset. This is good knowing that the x4 will be used for just Physx. I couldn't even imagine anyone running full rendering on an x4 slot.

1024x768? this is going to be one hell of an upgrade

Haha, yea this upgrade is long overdue. I was cut on my budget when I built my Core i5 system and i didn't have the money to buy extra things. I had an old 1024x768 LCD laying around so my only concern was to get a card that could push crysis on max with the highest AA and AF. The 9800GT did that for me and it was only like 130 for the 1GB EVGA version. Naturally knowing about the physx config I could do in the future with a bigger monitor I grabbed the 1GB version for longevity.

Finally, a new question. For AA, as you get a bigger monitor the need for it decreases correct(Because of the density of the pixels.)? AF stays constant across all monitor resolutions correct?

Thanks.

For AA, some games may need it but others may not. It just depends on how well it looks to you. I'm running at 1920x1200 and the majority of the games I play I run at 4x AA. My card is capable of it and it just helps with smoothing things out that much more.

For AF, I've been running everything at 16x for years. :lol: A ton of cards can handle high AF since it is not as taxing as AA, so with the GTX 460 I can see 16x AF being just fine.

For the restocking question, the GTX 460 went up for sale this week so you should be perfectly fine to order one. If the one you want is out of stock atm, just wait a bit until Newegg has new stock. Typically it only takes 2 weeks for new supplies to come in. If you have the money now and the one you want is in stock, I'd go ahead and place the order. :)

Also, when you have a 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 monitor, running anything but the native resolution will look stretched and weird. Its playable but it just looks weird.

For AA, some games may need it but others may not. It just depends on how well it looks to you. I'm running at 1920x1200 and the majority of the games I play I run at 4x AA. My card is capable of it and it just helps with smoothing things out that much more.

Yea, I heard about AA not being as needed on higher resolution monitors, thats why i asked.

For AF, I've been running everything at 16x for years. :lol: A ton of cards can handle high AF since it is not as taxing as AA, so with the GTX 460 I can see 16x AF being just fine.

Ah, I didn't know that AF was less taxing then AA. That's good considering I will still be needing it on my bigger monitor.

For the restocking question, the GTX 460 went up for sale this week so you should be perfectly fine to order one. If the one you want is out of stock atm, just wait a bit until Newegg has new stock. Typically it only takes 2 weeks for new supplies to come in. If you have the money now and the one you want is in stock, I'd go ahead and place the order. :)

It's not really a restocking question, because that variant of the card hasn't been released yet. EVGA has only released the GTX 460 in the standard fan in the middle configuration that blows air out the front and the back. I am waiting for the fully external exhaust variant of EVGA's GTX 460 to buy because I would like it blowing out of the case, and with my current 9800GT, it fits for airflow better. I was just wondering if EVGA had given a release date for the external exhaust card.

Also, when you have a 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 monitor, running anything but the native resolution will look stretched and weird. Its playable but it just looks weird.

I figured this, but my main concern was if games nowadays support 16:10 and 16:9.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah, all current games should support 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. Some may need it to be configured before the game launches but all should support it just fine.

As for the EVGA one, I'm not sure when that will get launched. I'm sure it shouldn't be too long, EVGA always has several versions ready to buy within weeks of a new product launch.

Games support both. I used to have a 16:10 and now a 16:9, all I had to do was switch the aspect ratio setting from 16:10 to 16:9.( of course the resolution also)

Oh yeah, all current games should support 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. Some may need it to be configured before the game launches but all should support it just fine.

Ah, very very good. Yeah I was expecting having to change it but that is once and done. Great!

As for the EVGA one, I'm not sure when that will get launched. I'm sure it shouldn't be too long, EVGA always has several versions ready to buy within weeks of a new product launch.

Ah, yeah I love EVGA, they haven't failed me once. This is also great news.

So considering Crysis is still top dog on the taxing of the GPU, will I be able to run it at max + full AF + and at least 2xAA or 4xAA on 1080 at 30FPS? If not at stock will I be able to run it at 800MHz and achieve 30FPS? This is with factoring in my 9800GT doing Physx.

Thanks.

I play crysis @1650x1050 with x2 AA at Medium setting and i still see pixels on roof houses ...etc and i play GTA IV @1920x1080 with full AF i dont know if GTA has AA but i can see pixels behind my car while driving ,i think AA and AF are necessary even at high resolutions.

I play crysis @1650x1050 with x2 AA at Medium setting and i still see pixels on roof houses ...etc and i play GTA IV @1920x1080 with full AF i dont know if GTA has AA but i can see pixels behind my car while driving ,i think AA and AF are necessary even at high resolutions.

Couldn't the pixels in crysis be because you are at medium setting? Also what setting do you have GTA IV on?

Na i upped the setting in crysis to Very high i could still see the pixels and it was very laggy, in GTA IV most setting are on high and some on very high.

Well could the crysis problem also be with the lower resolution? Aren't you running 1680x1050 on a 1920x1200 screen? Would there be problems with running a 16:10 resolution an a 16:9 display?