Marter

Help on Video Card for gaming and rendering

So I've been lurking... for quite some time before working up the courage to post.

Recently, my old GT8800 died after a successful reign of two years. [i bought the card off eBay, so no RMAing for me]

I'm using my integrated GPU and I'm really starting to hate the additional 300-400% in rendering and processing times on my computer and being forced to game at low resolutions without any eyecandy <.<.

I heavily use Photoshop and After Effects and I lightly use Premiere Pro. I do play some video games at my main monitor's resolution of 1680x1024.

I play some video games, Modern Warfare 2 mostly (and Black Ops when it comes out) I'll really like to max out the settings without any lag.

I have about two hundred max I'm willing to spend and I don't care about NVIDIA or ATI. I'm slightly biased towards NVIDIA because of the ability to use Mercury Playback Engine if I ever upgrade to CS5.

I've done some research and I think the ATI 5770 or the GTX260 are decent cards. I'm not really sure and I wanna ask the experts at OCC for their advice.

My Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 [2.8ghz triple core]

I have 8 gigs of ram [DDR2]

My motherboard is : GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128384)

I have a 750W Corsair Power Supply.

Help is really, really appreciated!

The GTX260 has more processing power with CUDA , if DX11 is not important to you and you wont be crossfiring then get the 260 as it will run well in synthetic programs and rendering .

well as of right now only Nvidia has support for Adobe with CUDA. once ATi gets Direct Comput set in stone i'm sure the big boys will jump on the boat like CUDA support. so the most power for the money is around GTX 260 or 275. who konws once Fermi gets cheaper the 460/465 may be the best option.

I guess I'll go for the GTX460 and have the option of using MPE via hack if I ever decide to upgrade to CS5.

Thanks for your input!

i maybe mispoke about the 460 because the reviews iv read state that ECC in the ram has been remove, this may have a larger inpact on CUDA when doing adobe work. im not to sure though because an error only comes up 1 in every trillion times but all the other cards had ECC on the memory so no way to compare.

might want to check folding reviews and see if it took a big hit since it should be around the the 285 speed if not faster for CUDA

Hey Marter........don't know if you bought a card yet or not but I am in the market for a new GPU too and I have similar requirements as you do (MPE support+some light gaming....maximum res 1680x1050)........ I would put my bet on the GTX 460 too....and more specifically the Gainward Goes Like Hell version or Palit Sonic Platinum version (both overclocked to 800mhz for the core and 4000mhz for memory - close performance to GTX 470 by most reviews - minus the GTX 470 power hunger and heat)....... I am going to "hack" it for use with MPE and found a couple of positive results that mention it is usable on the GTX 460:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/679608?tstart=0

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://datainfo.tistory.com/entry/gtx460glh&ei=0tZUTKazC96XOMfS6J4O&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCsQ7gEwBA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGTX460%2Badobe%2BMPE%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Ddf

the second link was in Korean and doesn't translate too well to English but by the chart in the lower section it can be seen as even slightly beating the GTX 470 in Premiere Pro CS5 with MPE on a six-layer project (the Gainward overclocked version).......

I just hope you are aware though that MPE is only supported in Premiere Pro and not in After Effects..........By the way if it weren't for me wanting MPE support I would have gone straight to the HD5850 and H5870 for gaming performance advantage (and a slight subjective dislike for NVIDIA).....although for GTX 460's sake - it does seem to be on par with the HD5850 on gaming performance and price.....

Hope this helped you a little in our decision

Don't get the 768MB version of the 460, get the 1GB it's better all around. The 768MB version isn't as good and was stupid for them to put out, if you're gonna get one of those you might as well get a 260 or 275 if you can afford it