Your Degree?

Ghost2520

I graduated high school with a 3.5 gpa. It was enough to go to Michigan Technological University, where I went for a BS in computer science. Remember when all your teachers/parents say "hey, dont think just because you dind't have to study to make grades in HS, that you dont have to study in college to get those same grades." Boy, were they right, and I only learned my lesson after my 2nd year and I was barely making a B-/C average. I ended up busting my arse and pulling off decent grades my last 2 years, but my advice is to start high on the GPA scale in college.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't understand how u say you are stuck with community college. commmunity college is a good alternative. i am going to be going to community college in the fall because i can't affrod a four year school. its the same education, andf when u get out of teh two years of community college the four years just look at ur grades in college most of the times. when u get out u go to finish ur last two years and where is ur degree from? the college u chose to finish at. there is nothing wrong with community college.

personally i think certs and college are great but not needed.....i grad with a gpa of about 2.0 ( haha )

i got a job working for the gov admining solaris servers....got tired of living in DC and now doing DSL tech work for Sprint....

no certs and no degree yet decent pay :)

its all about who you know

Edited by Hades25

personally i think certs and college are great but not needed.....i grad with a gpa of about 2.0 ( haha )

i got a job working for the gov admining solaris servers....got tired of living in DC and now doing DSL tech work for Sprint....

no certs and no degree yet decent pay :)

its all about who you know

they are if ur like me and want to be a lawyer.

Let me tell you this. Everything that you're HS guidance counselors tell you about the college process is BS. Period. Let me tell you. I went through HS with the idea that if I got the best grades, highest testing scores, did the most extracurricular activities that I could, and rose above all my peers around me, then no college out there would refuse me. Thats the biggest croc of crap that I was fed as a student.

When I went through the college admissions process I went into it wearing all that like a badge of honor and applied to more than half a dozen prestegious universities and got flat out rejected by all of them. Was it that my 31 ACT wasn't high enough, or my leadership positions in the 5 clubs I was in weren't enough, or my perfect GPA wasn't good enough? No, it was because I, along with how many thousands of other kids who applied to those same colleges, all had enough credentials to meet the admission reqs but then simply had all our names thrown into a big pot and a relative few were randomly drawn.

Thats how it works! Trust me. Colleges really do not care how you did in HS other than if you meet all their admission reqs. There are a select few who do, but in those basically what it boils down to is not who has the better potential than the others; no it is the fact that they want a diversity on their campuses. What that means is that if you're white and male and meet all the requirements for admission you can pretty much know that you probably won't be accepted. That is the cold truth of the college admissions process. Especially if you are thinking about going into any sort of science and technology area. Trust me, I know many a people from my HS that had the same if not less credentials for getting into some of the same places that I applied to who were selected and recieved massive fundings for their educations simply because they are considered a "minority"

That is the way it works. As far as your situation, I wouldn't worry to much about it with your grades and such. Just do as best as you can and then apply to as many colleges as you can. If you get accepted then thats awesome, and if not, then they weren't worth your time and they don't deserve to have your presence grace their campuses anyways ;)

Edited by xboarder

Let me tell you this. Everything that you're HS guidance counselors tell you about the college process is BS. Period. Let me tell you. I went through HS with the idea that if I got the best grades, highest testing scores, did the most extracurricular activities that I could, and rose above all my peers around me, then no college out there would refuse me. Thats the biggest croc of crap that I was fed as a student.

When I went through the college admissions process I went into it wearing all that like a badge of honor and applied to more than half a dozen prestegious universities and got flat out rejected by all of them. Was it that my 31 ACT wasn't high enough, or my leadership positions in the 5 clubs I was in weren't enough, or my perfect GPA wasn't good enough? No, it was because I, along with how many thousands of other kids who applied to those same colleges, all had enough credentials to meet the admission reqs but then simply had all our names thrown into a big pot and a relative few were randomly drawn.

Thats how it works! Trust me. Colleges really do not care how you did in HS other than if you meet all their admission reqs. There are a select few who do, but in those basically what it boils down to is not who has the better potential than the others; no it is the fact that they want a diversity on their campuses. What that means is that if you're white and male and meet all the requirements for admission you can pretty much know that you probably won't be accepted. That is the cold truth of the college admissions process. Especially if you are thinking about going into any sort of science and technology area. Trust me, I know many a people from my HS that had the same if not less credentials for getting into some of the same places that I applied to who were selected and recieved massive fundings for their educations simply because they are considered a "minority"

That is the way it works. As far as your situation, I wouldn't worry to much about it with your grades and such. Just do as best as you can and then apply to as many colleges as you can. If you get accepted then thats awesome, and if not, then they weren't worth your time and they don't deserve to have your presence grace their campuses anyways ;)

very much agreed. its like affirmative action which in my book is also total bs.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I have 3 English projects do this week and have been working my arse off on them. Anyways as far as the community college I am planning on going to, probably Green River. I want to get a degree in computer science and video production, I think both would get me a good start as to what careers I want to pursue. Basically any job that involves computers is good for me... I know all about that miniority thing... its all too unfair in my opinion. I live in Washington and Asians (no offense intended) are picked over us whites when 45% of Washington is Asians! I wouldn't call that a miniority... oh well I'm in 10th grade I guess I got one or two more years to make a final decision on the college.

BTW when did you guys start trying to apply for scholorships and the colleges?

oh well I'm in 10th grade I guess I got one or two more years to make a final decision on the college.

BTW when did you guys start trying to apply for scholorships and the colleges?

If youre only in 10th grade then you don't really need to do anything until next school year. Take the ACT or SAT in the spring of your Jr. yr and again in the fall of your Sr. year (you can take them more than once if you think you can get a better score). Then apply to whatever colleges you want to by like October of your Sr. year. But its never too early to look around for scholarship stuff which is in-and-of-itself more important than applying to colleges (IMHO). Most scholarships have deadlines in the early spring of your Sr year so make sure you do it before then...but it seems like you got a ways to go until then so just enjoy your HS time man while you got it!

so just enjoy your HS time man while you got it!

ain't that the truth. man i hated high school but now that i am out in the real world working and spending my money i wish i was back in high school again.

If you are going with those goals in mind, some 4 year degree in communications will get you far. WSU has a better communications program then UW and has turned out a couple CNN anchors I think. Look into it, UW is impossible to get into as a transfer after next fall and WSU is searching for people, it's almost easier to get into an ivy league school then most programs at UW (comp sci, business, pre-med). Check it out, and with running start not only are you able to get 2 years ahead but the stupid high school BS that you go through is over. I didn't take any classes at HS after 10th grade, I loved it.

In highschool, i had a 3.7gpa unweighted. I'm on Long Island, NY, so we have regents exams, and i took all those things and graduated with a regents diploma or something like that, and all honors. I only took two AP classes (AP Calculus and AP Biology), but i wish i took more. It's definitely worth it if you can handle it, so take all the APs you can. I got a 5 on both of them (the highest score), and Cornell gave me 8 credits for the Bio and 3 for the math, and it also got me out of some requirements which was nice :)

Math had always been my best subject. If you're having trouble with it though, i'd suggest moving back into an easier math, as it's better to get an A in a lesser weighted course, than a C or D in a harder one.

I applied for early decison to Cornell University and was accepted :). Don't think it was cause of my grades though. Tons of people get good grades in hs. I was president of my high school's Key Club (a charity/community service organization), so that's what put me over the edge, extracurriculars.

I graduated from Cornell in May with a BS in Applied Economics and Management. Basically their business degree. I'm currently unemployed, and have been job hunting recently...not nearly as hard as i should be...bumming around is too appealing ;). So i can't help you with what it gets me yet. I was offered a $35k job back in august but turned it down since it wasn't in the field i want, which is marketing. Have an interview tomorrow and another friday, so fingers crossed :) Two of the marketing positions i should have gotten, they said they decided to go with someone with more experience, which really sucks. One of them, i took a skills test for, and did better than everyone else, yet they still didn't choose me. Need experience to get a job, need a job to get experience. owell :(

Hope this little life synopsis helps. lol