Your Degree?

Ghost2520

Well in High School 9th grade I had a 3.6 gpa and this year (10th grade) its been about a 3.3. Anyways I'm in advanced math (placed a year ahead of the normal 10th grade math) and also joined honors english this year. I also take an extra credit 0 period class. Well my math class is doing pretty bad, 20 out of 30 people have a 69 or lower. Me included. I have a 68. My parents already have decided it will be awhile before I get my liscense now, and they are saying I'm screwed as far as college.

My question is, what did you guys, who have already graduated college do for school? What degree did you have and what grades did you have in high school to get in to college. Also as far as success, how much do you earn with those grades? My parents are pretty much aproaching this as I'm stuck with community college...

so how successful have you guys been? :(

Edited by Ghost2520

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I litterally did enough to get by in highschool. I was only interested in sports, and trying to get an athletic scholarship. by the end of my 12th grade football season I knew I was screwed on playing any further (knees and drugs didn't help me get past a top 50 choice for MSU or UofM's programs).

I graduated with a 3.0... well I graduated about 2 months early (they let you do that when your whole day is electives including 4 gym classes). I did my 6 weeks of basic training for the navy, got the boot cuz I'm diabetic. Came home and started working for the school district I just escaped from on a full time basis. Did nearly 2 years of night school, had a perfect 4.0 (helps to test out of 6 CIS classes at a time)... and I dropped out due to boredom (dont' do the whole community college thing, it sucks).

from there I tried to be a sponge for info at work, read as many online write ups on anything I could, read every book and mag out there, and god knows I tried just about everything I could get my hands on. Soon took the A+ exam/joke, then onto MSCE (all 7 tests in 1 day), CCNA, CNA, MOUS, Net+, MAC+, and finally CCNE (yes I have 2 engineering certs). It also helped when I was living at home cuz I could just ask my dad a million questions (he's got all the certs I have except MAC+... but he's got CNE and several degrees including 2 masters 4 bacholers and 3 assosiates ranging from business to electrical engineering to systems analysis). We actually studied for the MCSE together, but I took the tests 3 weeks before he did :)

the moral of the story: YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING. IF YOU THINK YOU DO, YOU'RE DUMB

Well, I don't have my degree yet (just one class short, so I'm fixing that right now) but I ended HS with an 82 average. Now I have a 70. Whatever that translates in to as far as GPA? We don't use that system, so I don't know much about it.

That doesn't mean you MUST have an 80+ average to be accepted, or to even do well. You obviously have a decent head on your shoulders, as you're in advanced math and honours english. If you were in regular math and english, I'm sure your grades would be wayyy higher, and you wouldn't be here asking this question. The fact that you're in these programs does count for something.

Just work hard and you'll be fine. That's what I did.

I made great grades (mostly As and Bs) in high school; I had the chance to take multiple AP classes, but I declined heh. I applied to three of my wanted colleges and accepted easily hehe ( IAD, SCAD, AAT--art schools basically). But I chose to go to a technical college out of highschool (my grades are great-- As); I have two more quarters before I graduate (with two degrees and a couple certifications) then I plan to go forth with my bachelors (not sure about this yet). I personally didn't like highschool; the faculty was a joke and the students were even worse heh.

Edited by O(V)eGA_l2el)

I don't plan on stopping learning, next year I'm leaning towards doing the running start program which is an after school community college course that lets you get in a few college credits before you graduate. I'm also getting the microsoft cert next year (hopefully) and so on. Going to take video production 2. I just hope that even though I got one D I can still get into a good video production school. :(

I came out of HS with a 93% average. I absolutely HAD to get those marks, because the cutoff to get into my program was 92%. Of course marks matter if you want to go to a good school for a good degree. That being said, it all depends on the course you want to go into. Academia isn't for everyone. Right now my average (in university) is 74%, which is about middle of the pack. Higher grades don't always mean more success either...in my program MS picks out the students with the highest marks and look how some of their products turn out. RIM on the other hand usually picks them out of the middle or lower because they know that those people are usually involved in other things rather than studying 24/7 like my asian room mates.

The school I'm thinking about going to is Art Institute of Seattle. I'm going to check on their requirements later. They have an awesome video production course there I have seen their setup. If I can't get into that place I'll probably go to UW they have a pretty good Video Production class.

Actually Dignan should probably answer this, if I remember right he is into Video Production and in my relative area. :)

Yes, yes I can.

DON'T PANIC, it's okay, you can still get into a 4 year no problem and going through running start is probably your best bet anyways (explain later). Also on the math, I took a dive the last semester of math, I had to weasel to graduate. Don't worry I went through this exact thing.

With running start you are going to be going through general ed classes instead of a technical program like the art institute or any of the ones highline or green river offer.

The great thing about running start is, when you transfer with a 2 year AA degree form a community college that CANNOT look at your high school transcript or SATs and factor that in. (part of the direct tranfer agreement in WA state)

The thing is, you have to take general ed classes and can't do technical programs as they don't count for HS credit so you are looking at a 4 year program.

Ahhh heck I'll PM you my phone # so I can explain this a lot faster then typing.

well... i havnt graduated but i have a 3.567 looking for maby a 3.6 - 3.7 this quarter... not sure

but as far as college goes... its good enough and as far as driving goes... I got my permit today

I just started Devry for a Bacholers Degree in Bio Medical Engineering, Suppossedlly can make anywhere from 60 to over 100 thou a year, but I want a Bacholers in Nano Technology too, and Buisiness. Anyway, I agree with Bigred you never stop learning and if you think a person thinks the've learned enough then there obviously an idiot. Don't do the Community College thing I did it about three times, at least tried to, it blows. Anyway good luck.