Games on disc or download?

Guest_Jim_*

Games on disc or download?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer games on discs or downloaded games

• Physical disc (CD, DVD)
    • Download Service (Steam, D2D, &c)
    • If it doesn't have a board or dice, I'm not interested
    • Either Media (doesn't matter, disc or download)

Just back them up after the update. I recently backed up Portal a second time, and the new backup is larger. Shattered Horizon, after with Firepower is smaller than my backup before Firepower. The updates are included in the backups.

I don't know about DLC's though.

My point being that one could back it up and not have to redownload unless an update was released while it was not installed on your system.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both for me! Both have their pro's and cons.

With physical copies you get some nice classy looking packaging (especially when it comes to collectors editions, shame I never have the money to buy them)

Whereas with digital media, if you have an internet connection, you can find, install, and play the game you want to potentially in one sitting, without having to change disks, select install locations, et cetera. There are more but I've done a lot of work today so I'm just feeling lazy :P

I have a TON of Steam games. I have a TON of physical copy games.

Preference = Physical Copy

Just too many Pros, and even though everyone and their granny's dog went into all the Pros for Steam and no one took the time for physical copies I won't list them either. But in a nutshell... physical copies mean less work, less waiting and always available no matter where I am or where I go. More time I have to actually play the games I want to play and less time spent tinkering with something is just the way i like it! :thumbsup:

But I will still use and abuse Steam for all the good deals they provide. Preferences aside, I'm not going to turn down a good deal.

I still like having a physical disc. That way I can loan it to a friend and they can loan me one of their games!

Some games, like just cause 2 and mw2 are automatically registered to steam.

i am honestly a fan of both.

i like having a base install of a game on a disk. i can patch the game with having a major portion of it installed already, so it takes less time.

steam downloads are much more convenient, and 20mb connection, so most games are downloaded in a flash.

Download for me. Two main reasons:

1. No physical disc that can be scratched or lost. Also I rarely have a CD/DVD drive hooked up to my PCs so having to switch DVDs when playing games would be a pain in the behind.

2. I don't have to drive to the store to buy the game. (Although I could buy it on some website and get delivered)

i said it doesn't matter but t he only time i want a real disc with when DRM is gone, otherwise a digital version mostly don't have any. if they do well i'll just play it on the console because my computer has better use than run like crap for games.

the major problem with digital is that steam like to delete/cancel/authenticate accounts so since one of my accounts i don't have the email for anymore and secondly i sure can't remember what CC i used 5 years ago that account is lost. lucky for me it was only the orange box...but really comon. if its digital it can be gone the next day without warnning.

I'd have to say it depends on the game in the past I typically liked physical copies over digital ones because digital copies required a good internet connection and used a lot of bandwidth to download the games and take up a lot of space on the hard drive plus some download services use to have download limits and you use to not be able to back them up onto DVDs. Also digital downloads required a credit card which I didn't have years ago however in the past few years I've slowly been moving over to digital downloads due to many of those problems going away.