Games on disc or download?

Guest_Jim_*

Games on disc or download?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer games on discs or downloaded games

• Physical disc (CD, DVD)
    • Download Service (Steam, D2D, &c)
    • If it doesn't have a board or dice, I'm not interested
    • Either Media (doesn't matter, disc or download)

Just saw this article at IGN: Gamers Still Prefer Physical Discs. Now I'm curious about what people here think.

I personally prefer physical media, though I will admit I have been primarily getting games on Steam for some time now. (Of course, I'm not considering console games, just PC.) That said though, one of the first things I do after downloading a game on Steam, is back it up to my external HDD, so while I purchase a download, I do back it up so I have a copy, like having a disc.

What do the rest of you think? Please post if you prefer downloading games, because while I can think of advantages to physical media, I cannot think of many for downloads and I want to be enlightened. Seriously, I do.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I don't even know what that third option is.

I didn't vote because it all depends on the game and situation. I have more downloadable games because of Steam Sales, but I still like boxed games for some, especially if I want collector's editions (eg. DAO & SC2).

Steam for me. I got a sliding drawer with like 15+ game boxes. I don't need more. I had so many boxes that I just threw away the boxes and kept the discs and manuals.

However if its a collectors edition of a game that is filled with real items I'll buy the box.

I didn't vote because as of now, it's pretty even for me. I recently have been leaning towards download-able (Steam) games since you can just click the icon and go rather than putting the disk in every time. It does have it's flaws though, if Steam fails, you can't play any of your games you bought from Steam. But I also like seeing a collection of boxes and games in my drawer (unless it's an exaggerated amount). I lean to both sides.

Sorry, but I don't even know what that third option is.

I didn't vote because it all depends on the game and situation. I have more downloadable games because of Steam Sales, but I still like boxed games for some, especially if I want collector's editions (eg. DAO & SC2).

I'm sorry. I didn't realize all of the answer didn't post in their. It was just a joke answer though, so nothing major. "If it doesn't have a board or dice, I'm not interested."

Let's not consider Steam Sales, as sales in general are not limited to downloads. At least, if this were for science, we shouldn't consider them, or biases from console systems, which will rely more on physical media than PC's. As this is for my curiosity, answer as you wish.

Steam for me. I got a sliding drawer with like 15+ game boxes. I don't need more.

However if its a collectors edition of a game that is really filled with real items I'll buy the box.

Size of the boxes is one of things I thought of for going with downloads. Also finding the boxes, because while a disc can get lost in a pile, or accidentally thrown out, downloads (at least from Steam, no experience with any other system) are harder to misplace, and can always be downloaded again when wanted.

Collector's Editions do make an difference though. In fact, the last PC game I got on disc was Supreme Commander 2, which I pre-ordered from Gamestop. Got me two additional maps and $10 off.

That aside though, I just too much like having that physical backup, which will install faster than it would download.

So currently downloads win, except for when CE's are involved. But then there are Digital Deluxe versions, that are download exclusive.

I didn't vote because as of now, it's pretty even for me. I recently have been leaning towards download-able (Steam) games since you can just click the icon and go rather than putting the disk in every time. It does have it's flaws though, if Steam fails, you can't play any of your games you bought from Steam. But I also like seeing a collection of boxes and games in my drawer (unless it's an exaggerated amount). I lean to both sides.

Started the last post before you put this up.

I will add a "Either Media" option. I admit I had not thought of it before your post. Thank you.

Edit: Answer added. Wasn't sure if I could I have put it between "Disc" and "Download" without disturbing the votes already placed, so it's the last option.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize all of the answer didn't post in their. It was just a joke answer though, so nothing major. "If it doesn't have a board or dice, I'm not interested."

Let's not consider Steam Sales, as sales in general are not limited to downloads. At least, if this were for science, we shouldn't consider them, or biases from console systems, which will rely more on physical media than PC's. As this is for my curiosity, answer as you wish.

You can't just discredit Steam Sales as being a reason to go the download route. It's a very legitimate reason, and if you've followed OCC you'd know that every time there's a major Steam Sale, people go nuts here. Rarely do I ever see a retail sale that beats Steam.

I voted download. But that's what I prefer if it's with steam since they keep track of the games I've bought and I don't have to worry about losing the downloaded file and not being able to install it. If not through steam my second choice is a disk.

Up until Nov I liked having the disks but since the new internet service went online here, I prefer downloading so it doesn't take no where near as long.

You can't just discredit Steam Sales as being a reason to go the download route. It's a very legitimate reason, and if you've followed OCC you'd know that every time there's a major Steam Sale, people go nuts here. Rarely do I ever see a retail sale that beats Steam.

The scientist in me though would say to discount discounts like that, as the question is about the preferred means of ownership, not the circumstances that cause the game to be bought. But then of course, that would include throwing out CE's and DD's... Now that I think about it in that light, the scientist is saying that it must be considered. This is why I started the topic, to learn more and think more.

To clarify (since that last paragraph was kind of stream of consciousness) I change my original thought and indeed Steam Sales are a good reason to vote download.

I just thought of another difference (can't say advantage or disadvantage) to downloads; impulse buys, thanks to the immediate availability.

Also, I'm deleting my own vote from the poll, so I can think about it some more (currently swaying to Either Media).