Starcraft II

tkrow21

Everyone else you aren't friends with should only be able to see your gamer handle.

+1

and even if some friendship is established, maybe I don't wanna give him my real name and info right away so it's best to just see a nick or something...you know..just like every where else.

Only time I ever visit their forums are to look up guides. I rarely ever post anything. I like the idea of holding accountability on the internet. All this anonymousness is causing too many acts of trolls, bullies, pedophiles, and etc. If you act accordingly no one is gonna bother to look you up anyways,

But still I guess its playing with fire and its better to be safe than sorry by not implementing this change as a mandatory feature.

Only time I ever visit their forums are to look up guides. I rarely ever post anything. I like the idea of holding accountability on the internet. All this anonymousness is causing too many acts of trolls, bullies, pedophiles, and etc. If you act accordingly no one is gonna bother to look you up anyways,

But still I guess its playing with fire and its better to be safe than sorry by not implementing this change as a mandatory feature.

I could list quite a few reasons why this is a dumb move ...and I still might.

Problem is... this change won't stop the trolling, bullying, etc.. In fact, it has the potential to raise it outside of the forums. So now instead of someone calling you a turd on the forums they are finding you on facebook and e-mail bombing you. Which is why I don't do facebook nor put my stuff on the net. This will be a perfect example of where the "cure" is worse than the "disease".

Makes you wonder if anyone had the balls to e-mail bomb the dev who put out his real name after people found his info out. Or how would you like to be the person getting e-mail bombed from angry forum posters thinking you are this dev? Yaaa... fun times. :erm:

The worst part is that a community moderator at the Battle.net forums, under the name “Bashiok”, posted his real name information to prove to the community how harmless it really is. Within minutes, people were posting links to his address along with pictures of his family. Yikes.

It could be more than just your e-mail you have to worry about.

Simple fix? ...don't include real names in a gaming world - not sure what Blizz doesn't understand about Keeping it Simple. Their fix won't fix squat. All it does is introduce risk. No benefit, all negative. I seriously fail to see how Blizzard even came to the conclusion this is a worth while thing to implement. Even when I don't agree with something with every fiber in my being, I can usually see where they were coming from and why that person/company would make that decision. This one... I just don't get ... ...at all.

Blizzard isn't as dumb as we thought...at least they listen:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/09/blizzard-backtrack-on-realid-changes/

:woo:

I will take my Blizzard Fanboi Club Card back tyvm!

I didn't plan on using the forums, but that is still the best decision as it sounds like it would have kept evolving over time based on that article. What I also found interesting is that they are keeping it in the game ( :erm: ) ...but sounds like it will be optional. In Beta the only way I saw it being "optional" was just not including anyone on your friend's list. Should be interesting to see how they implement it in the retail version of the game.

Very cool though - thanks for posting that link :thumbsup:

I'm surprised that their legal department didn't look at the possible legal actions that might of been taken against them if they were to use this method....

Anyways I have played a few games since the beta has started back up. Kinda rusty :(

Kinda rusty :(

Tell me about it. I'm piss poor with my macro. I can't keep my minerals down at two bases, let alone harass. I used to be able to keep my minerals down and harass with three full bases. :(

you guys are rusty?

I didn't even know Beta was turned back on :erm:

I'm guessing with a clean wipe on everyone? Maybe I should use those Practice games again than :lol:

There won't be any "new" players anyway. The only ones that should be in the practice games should be ones who have already played beta.