Wall at 4 ghz 965

This 965 I recently bought overclocked fairly easy until I got to 3.80 Ghz. After pushing the voltage up to 1.450 I was able to advance to 4.00Ghz and had to move the voltage to 1.500 (about ran out of voltage to give) After that I have been struggling to get above that. I am using occt to test for stability and prime 95 large FFT to test it.

Here are my settings that im using. Let me know if you guys see anything I should attempt. Thanks in advance, Boinker

Vdda: 2.783 (something)

Memory: 2.100 (as per mushkin) timings are 5-7-7-27-32 2T

NF200: 1.26

1.20 HT: 1.28

Northbridge: 1.30

CPU-NB Multi: 13x (or 2600mhz nb speed)

CPU-NB volts: 1.350

Cpu-voltage: 1.500 (tried up to 1.550)

Cpu Multiplier: 20x

Core Freq: 200 (tried fiddling with that but no cigar)

the only thing would cooler temps.

Yeah, not sure what im going to do about that. I could get some better fans for the XSPC Radiator I have but that requires removing it....... its a pain.

What would you suggest insan3?

My 955 went to 4Ghz easily on air cooling. I had to push the voltage to 1.45 which made it hotter than I wanted it to be. So I dropped it back down to 3.8Ghz and dropped voltage back to 1.375. Mine is a C3 revision.

Yours should go past 4Ghz easily if you have a C3 version.

just give it up boink boink rofl.gif

wow......

What a tardo. I think its oink oink piglet.....

Op what revision do you have? C2 or C3??? Reason I am asking, C2's do not overclock any higher. Nothing you can do. C3's will go higher but not much. 4.1Ghz is about tops some get close to 4.2GHz but you need good cooling. All My Phenoms's I overclocked needed a lot of voltage to get top notch overclocks. I am talking 1.55-1.6V. A few things to do. Loosen timings up. that is number 1. You did not post what memory frequencies you run at. If the ram is rated at 1600MHz, run it at 1333Mhz. If it is 1333Mhz run it at 1066 and see what happens.

Clock down NB frequency to 2400 and Hypertransport to 2000MHz.

I feel your pain. I got stuck @ 4 GHz with mine too. No amount of playing with the settings would keep it stable above that. Some chips are just downright stubborn and won't go higher.

well I would say I feel more pain if this Cpu doesnt make it past 4GHZ.... Im trying out a Brand new Mobo and memory right now. And they are different then the one I was using 4 hours ago so I can say......... Yes "S*^%" Got WAAAAAYYY SERIOUS. :doh:

Going to give it another go.. :D

just give it up boink boink :rofl:

I refuse..... Talk to you tomorrow when you awake. :pfp:

wow......

What a tardo. I think its oink oink piglet.....

Op what revision do you have? C2 or C3??? Reason I am asking, C2's do not overclock any higher. Nothing you can do. C3's will go higher but not much. 4.1Ghz is about tops some get close to 4.2GHz but you need good cooling. All My Phenoms's I overclocked needed a lot of voltage to get top notch overclocks. I am talking 1.55-1.6V. A few things to do. Loosen timings up. that is number 1. You did not post what memory frequencies you run at. If the ram is rated at 1600MHz, run it at 1333Mhz. If it is 1333Mhz run it at 1066 and see what happens.

Clock down NB frequency to 2400 and Hypertransport to 2000MHz.

Thanks Doctor, Ill give that a try tonight to see what I can come up with. And to Answer your Question the chip is C3 Stepped, Was running Mushkin DDR2 1000 (the timings I posted were looser then factory). I'm now running a MA770T-ud3p with DDR3 1333 @ factory timings.

edit for rant.... This is always WHY i run a stability test Before I begin to overclock. Random Freezing was happening. figured it was updates, wouldn't make it seconds in occt normal, OK. Downclocked the memory for giggles and guess what...... Stupid Memory is getting RMA'ed when i get a chance.

Put my old Scythe Fans in my new Big radiator today.... I forgot how loud they are apparently but they sure do make a difference in how it cools down. But i would guess that a ten degree difference in full load temps on occt is pretty significant. :lol:

Got the gigabyte board running nice and stable at 4ghz (same settings as other board worked like a charm) so now its off to find more megahertz..

To all those that have helped so far. :thx:

So I dropped it back down to 3.8Ghz and dropped voltage back to 1.375. Mine is a C3 revision.

Yeah, if you want to play safely, that's the way to go. 3.8GHz @ stock voltage vs. 4GHz @ 1.5V. Is that 200MHz really needed? The performance increase is not really worth the risk IMO.

For 24/7 overclocks, I rarely increase voltage. But if you really want to go over 4GHz, try giving it even more voltage on the core. And BTW, NF200 is not a southbridge, it's simply a PCI-E bridge.

Thanks smith, Much appreciated. It makes me feel better that your the only one that actually noticed that issue... :rofl:

Im going to keep hunting the higher clocks... I would like to get at least 800mhz out of this chip but we shall see If i Fry it first. :lol:

BISHOP.............. WAKE UP.