Brink (360/PC/PS3)

WhenKittensATK

im very excited for Brink. So many good games coming out in the near future and absolutely nothing out right at the moment (not a sc2 fan) so im very very excited to see some good games come out q4 this year and early 2011

Definitely. My next purchase will be Fallout: New Vegas and maybe Civ V, then after that, who knows. :lol: I may sneak in Gothic IV if its good.

Brink is coming along nicely, totally looking forward to its release.

So many good games coming out in the near future and absolutely nothing out right at the moment (not a sc2 fan) so im very very excited to see some good games come out q4 this year and early 2011

:withstupid: although i'm not mega excited for brink. depending on how much cash i have left over from other game purchases in 2011 i'll definitely consider getting it when it comes out. 2011 is shaping up to be a big year in gaming

I don't understand why these guys are so proud of their smart system. I mean I get that it's new and unique but in combat it simply looks like a hindrance, you can't very easily shoot and do these free run tricks at the same from what I can tell. I mean if you're running towards a rail and need to jump over that but you have an enemy around that isn't on the other side of that rail, it basically prevents you from aiming at the enemy because you have to aim at the rail.

Also, release day DLC? fail.

Edited by Deathmineral

I don't understand why these guys are so proud of their smart system. I mean I get that it's new and unique but in combat it simply looks like a hindrance, you can't very easily shoot and do these free run tricks at the same from what I can tell. I mean if you're running towards a rail and need to jump over that but you have an enemy around that isn't on the other side of that rail, it basically prevents you from aiming at the enemy because you have to aim at the rail.

Also, release day DLC? fail.

1. You aren't locked into the free running motion. You can quit it at any time. From what they said.

2. Where is this release day DLC? There are preorder bonuses, that really doesn't count as DLC. Plenty of games have release day DLC and they usually don't fail :P

3. Let us know if you can find someone who can free run and shoot a gun at the same time. This isn't called the Matrix Brink.

Brink Steam Community Page

Edited by Krazyxazn
  • Like 1

1. You aren't locked into the free running motion. You can quit it at any time. From what they said.

2. Where is this release day DLC? There are preorder bonuses, that really doesn't count as DLC. Plenty of games have release day DLC and they usually don't fail :P

3. Let us know if you can find someone who can free run and shoot a gun at the same time. This isn't called the Matrix Brink.

Brink Steam Community Page

Exactly my point, you have to quit the motion to shoot, they said in the video that they designed it so you can shoot and move at the same time.

Release day DLC is fail because it's something you put out after you release the game and after people have played it a little bit. If they already have that piece of the game ready before the game is released then it should simply be a part of the game.

Here's someone that can run, flip, cartwheel and shoot all the same time, Rayne from Bloodrayne.

I'm not saying this game sucks or anything, I'd still like to play it, I think it looks like a lot of fun. The problem I have is that a lot of big titles try to come up with something new and revolutionize something in a game and they get an ego about it, all this game really focuses on is this SMART system which isn't anything special from what I've seen, maybe if this system allowed you to do things that would normally be scripted into most games then I would like it more but so far it doesn't seem much more advanced that mirror's edge. A good example of things I would like to see this smart system do is to give you the ability to aim at a ledge and grab it to keep from falling to your death from a 4 story building, this is something you often see in other games but it's always scripted or in a cut scene, I think to be able to do that kind of stuff in real time would make this a much better system. Another example would be if you were fighting some hand to hand on a roof top and they got you to edge of the roof and knocked you off then you could use the SMART system to reach out and grab that person to drag them with you or keep yourself from falling. I mean the thing is that this a FPS game, meaning the whole goal is to kill people and nothing else so instead of making the smart system only help you travel they need to make it assist you in combat. If it can't help in combat then it's just a gimmick in my opinion.

Idk, I still see it as a way to position yourself. I've been playing a lot of LoL and positioning is key to winning. Being able to flank or escape your enemies makes all the differences if that seems like a gimmick to you then idk what else I can say.

They aren't really focusing on SMART its just that's what the topic of this Dev video is. They got plenty of other things like a rich environment, customizations, streamlining, and etc.

Melee attacks kill, they aren't a knockback in this game. So seeing stuff like that probably won't ever happen. Grabbing people seems like a cool idea, but it just doesn't fit into this style of a game. It's not melee focused. If it was a melee focused game then it would make sense.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Idk, I still see it as a way to position yourself. I've been playing a lot of LoL and positioning is key to winning. Being able to flank or escape your enemies makes all the differences if that seems like a gimmick to you then idk what else I can say.

They aren't really focusing on SMART its just that's what the topic of this Dev video is. They got plenty of other things like a rich environment, customizations, streamlining, and etc.

Melee attacks kill, they aren't a knockback in this game. So seeing stuff like that probably won't ever happen. Grabbing people seems like a cool idea, but it just doesn't fit into this style of a game. It's not melee focused. If it was a melee focused game then it would make sense.

I can kind of see what you mean by positioning yourself but it doesn't necessarily apply to every character you know? I mean it has this team based play similar to TF2, as in it has a sniper, a stealth, a scout, a heavy weapons, etc. but not every character could use this system to their advantage it seems like, let's say you're using a big character, you would probably make more noise and be easier to spot while moving around, on top of that you would be slower while performing certain movements, of course this is all speaking in a realistic manner, I'm not sure just how realistic this game is designed to be, though I assume it's something that it aims for if shooting during a free run movement isn't possible. It just seems to me like this system might not be as well thought out as they make it sound when talking about it in their videos. I don't want to sound pessimistic about it, I definitely think it's neat and fun but maybe a little over hyped.

I know they're focusing on a lot more than the SMART system but out of all the pieces of the game this kind of seems like their favorite piece.

As for melee attacks that kill, kind of disappointed by this, I figured they would really use the SMART system with this somehow but now it sounds more like call of duty with some mirror's edge sprinkled in, and normally I don't like to say that about games, I like to think that all games are and try to be unique and not feel like other games but sometimes I find that a game just does feel like another game.

I guess I'm really just sort of disappointed is all, I thought this game had a lot more potential earlier but as I'm seeing more and more of it I'm finding it just doesn't feel very special.

Listening to you guys go back and forth about a game thats not releasing for another year and only has 3 pe-release teaser videos out is giving me a headache....

On a side note...

This game looks awesome!!!

I can kind of see what you mean by positioning yourself but it doesn't necessarily apply to every character you know? I mean it has this team based play similar to TF2, as in it has a sniper, a stealth, a scout, a heavy weapons, etc. but not every character could use this system to their advantage it seems like, let's say you're using a big character, you would probably make more noise and be easier to spot while moving around, on top of that you would be slower while performing certain movements, of course this is all speaking in a realistic manner, I'm not sure just how realistic this game is designed to be, though I assume it's something that it aims for if shooting during a free run movement isn't possible.

The only thing similar to TF2 are the class selections. One of Brinks cool features is it's customization system. You can change many things about your personal character from his hair, tattoos, attire, even body weight. So along with the body weight options, check out this video, close to the end he talks about how you can balance looks with physical abilities like overall agility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6CxTL25fvg&feature=related

It just seems to me like this system might not be as well thought out as they make it sound when talking about it in their videos. I don't want to sound pessimistic about it, I definitely think it's neat and fun but maybe a little over hyped.

The video that krazy posted, they talk about how they went through "4 or 5 prototypes" to try and get it right. So...yeah i think they know what they are trying to do and what they are trying to get at ;)

As for melee attacks that kill, kind of disappointed by this, I figured they would really use the SMART system with this somehow but now it sounds more like call of duty with some mirror's edge sprinkled in, and normally I don't like to say that about games, I like to think that all games are and try to be unique and not feel like other games but sometimes I find that a game just does feel like another game.

Mirror's Edge sucked. The POV was horrible, the story barely hung together. If anything Mirros Edge is the one you should be calling out for having a "gimmick of a feature". Since it came out first, maybe (although i really have no idea) the devs learned from the mirrors edge developer mistakes. Just because that game came out first doesn't hold an advantage over Brink in my opinion.

A good example of things I would like to see this smart system do is to give you the ability to aim at a ledge and grab it to keep from falling to your death from a 4 story building, this is something you often see in other games but it's always scripted or in a cut scene

Maybe that would be fun for an single player Action or RPG game but this is a multilayer FPS. It's true what krazy says, that style of gameplay doesn't really fit with Brink.

Edited by damian