HD 5770 Temps

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned about 15 HD 5770's and I have NEVER seen temps like yours. I would say even with your ambient (room) temps, that there is still something definitely wrong here. If it were me, and only if your comfortable, I would be taking my card apart and re-applying some new thermal paste to the gpu and all of the memory! If your not comfortable with that, then I would be contacting the manufacturer and getting an RMA #

The reason I love the 5770's are the fact they hardly use any power, and the temps reflect that! If I ever had a 5770 that got into the 80's I would be concerned, not because those temps would harm the card, but because the 5770 isn't designed to get that hot, it really is a "green" card! Let alone your 90-100C temps! There is a problem for sure!

I have owned about 15 HD 5770's and I have NEVER seen temps like yours. I would say even with your ambient (room) temps, that there is still something definitely wrong here. If it were me, and only if your comfortable, I would be taking my card apart and re-applying some new thermal paste to the gpu and all of the memory! If your not comfortable with that, then I would be contacting the manufacturer and getting an RMA #

The reason I love the 5770's are the fact they hardly use any power, and the temps reflect that! If I ever had a 5770 that got into the 80's I would be concerned, not because those temps would harm the card, but because the 5770 isn't designed to get that hot, it really is a "green" card! Let alone your 90-100C temps! There is a problem for sure!

15? Why?

Anyway, I've never broken 80C before running that benchmark with what is essentially worse than the out of the box cooling (worse because I left my GTS 250 running at 60C directly beneath the 5770, so it had to deal with more than just its own heat). I've also not seen anything on my system, besides that benchmark, that broke 70C either. None of my games give a load even as much as Folding does, it seems. Folding puts it in the upper 60C (67C right now) but if I look at the temps after exiting a game, and I mean immediately after exiting, the temp is already in the 50's.

Back to the topic of the thread. It is looking like the OP's 5770 is no longer good. Your sig says it is an XFX, and at least mine has their double lifetime warranty, so maybe yours will too. Of course overclocking voids most warranties, but I don't know what would happen if the issue is after the overclock is removed, as you said yours is.

One interesting note is that your idle temp is similar to what I believe mine normally is, or was before the GTS 250 got in there. The issue would then be with dissipating higher temps. That me explain it this way: I'm picturing a curve in my head that describes the heat sink's capability versus the heat. Yours seems to now drop off at higher temps more so than mine, and SpeedwayNative's collection. I cannot think of why, but it is probably not a good thing. True, I cheat a little, as the fan ramps up differently than stock (I like MSI Afterburner even without overclocking either GPU), but 100C is still pretty high, it seems. Perhaps not damaging high, but uncomfortably high.

Well let me say that this benchmark and furmark are the ONLY two gpu intensive programs i have EVER run that made the core get this hot. It's weird though, crysis dont heat it up anywhere as bad, so im beginning to think it's just the benchmark itself. And ive already replaced the stock TIM so idk. ill run some tests and see what temps i get.

RESULTS:

The Witcher Enhanced- Fan 51%-Highest Possible In-Game Settings, No Vsync

Max: 95c

FF XIV Benchmark-Fan 51%-Low Res

Max:105c

Fallout 3-Fan 51%-Highest Possible In-Game Settings, Vsync

MAX:83C

Left 4 Dead 2-Fan 51%-Highest Possible In-Game Settings, Vsync

Max:96c

Oblivion-Fan 51%-Highest Possible In-Game Settings,No AA, no Vsync

Max:73c

All are at 1600 x 900 res excluding the FF XIV Benchmark.

i think i have good contact already, as i dont have to put hardly any TIM on the core, which gets evenly distributed when i reinstall the heatsink. but i bought it at best buy so ill just swing in there and swap it for a new one if i get the time.