most elegant programming language to learn?

merseyless

I would forget VB6 and go to straight to VB.Net if you are looking that way and if you do go that way then do C#. VB is more wordy than C# but otherwise they are really close and moving from one to the other should be easy.

If you REALLY want to get into coding then C++, trickier to get to get to grips with but once you can handle it all other declarative languages look easy :). I haven't used Qt but I hear good things about it and it would be worth looking into to.

You might also consider adding TSQL to the mix too.

Ultimately it depends on what you plan to do with these skills and whether you want to concentrate on a particular platform linux/Windows,both

If you try C++/C and find it's too much then go to an easier language (maybe even easier than VB)

If you are planning on book learning then get one that takes you through the process of writing a proper application, isolated examples, whilst helpful, can leave you frustrated/disappointed. Its much more rewarding I think to code up a working application than have a bunch of code samples.

I say java. My first programming was in java and I caught on fairly quickly. I used php and C# also and I think java explains things way better in their docs.

C#. Very organized, well structured source. The language is very dynamic, as you can also implement other languages like ASP for web pages. You can also make Windows applications. There are many things you can do with it. It is along the same dynamic level as Visual Basic. Both can make web pages and Windows applications ect.

Normal, as both were developed by Microsoft.

Edit: I really think you should go on Bjarne Stroustrup's side.

It is irrelevant that they are both developed by Microsoft. The point is, is that the languages are on a broader scale of what both can do.

Skip C/C++. It's not that clear to go from C++ to C#. And why use C++ when you have C#, unless you're a linux programmer. If it's the first language you're trying to learn, then go with Delphi (Object Pascal). It will be a lot easylier to switch to C# when the time comes.

Java is also a VERY good place to start, far better then C++, that requires a lot of skill to begin with.

If you want to get serious, just download the Express versions of Visual Studio and start from there. If you find it that you don't like Microsoft then switch to Java. If you find Java too complicated then just learn some basic PHP stuff, and just start builing websites (you'll need xhtml/css too, but that's ridiculously easy). A pinch of JavaScript might also help to get things moving.

• 5 months later...

I don't think you will get any argument going with Java, given its versatility and "easy to learn, hard to master" depth.

Also, If you are just learning, C is good to learn, C++ is better if you are doing serious projects because it takes half the time and space to write an equivalent program. From a conceptual standpoint, C is all you need.

Once you have done some successful, advanced projects in Java and C/C++ other good places to branch out:

-Python

-C#

-PERL/LISP (You should really start with these before working with Ruby, and they are good for learning AI scripting. I hate both of them with a blood passion though.)

-ASP

My personal experience was:

BASIC (programming my calculator while bored in class) --> Visual Basic --> C --> C++ --> Python --> Java --> Jython --> PERL --> starting reading up on C# but got bored, don't do much since I got out of school.