most elegant programming language to learn?

merseyless

decided to try and learn a programming language, but just don't know wich one to choose.

atm i'm concidering learning ruby.

any suggestions?

What do you want to do? Web applications? Desktop applications? A bit of both?

Usually a bit of C/C++ is a good place to start learning as it allows you to breanch out into other languages (C#, JS, Java, PHP) fairly easy.

What do you want to do? Web applications? Desktop applications? A bit of both?

Usually a bit of C/C++ is a good place to start learning as it allows you to breanch out into other languages (C#, JS, Java, PHP) fairly easy.

I think C as well. If you are looking to get into programming as a career then look at Java as well.

I would actually go as far as to say that Ruby is more awkward and harder to read than C/C++, and reminds me of languages like Pascal which I find tedious

BASIC was my first language, but that was because I was 10 years old and only had a ZX Spectrum :lol:

You could try Visual Basic if you want to ease yourself into coding, but I would highly recommend going straight to C, as you can learn pretty much any language easily with C under your belt.

I would highly recommend going straight to C, as you can learn pretty much any language easily with C under your belt.

+1, but add C++ to that.

Or if you just want something easy, look at the Python programming language. If you want to do some graphical interfaces, have a look at Qt. I'm currently working with the C++ Qt library but using the PyQt bindings. It's very easy and IMO what you will learn will be much more useful than some Visual Basic; Qt is used in many domains and it is very powerful. You can just use it in pure C++ too.

I think this would be your best bet:

Visual Basic 6 -> .net 3.5 -> C#

Just start with simple things for VB6, then move onto .net 3.5. It's more complex but offers a wider variety of applications to develop. Once you've got the hang of it, move onto C#. The syntax is nearly identical to .net 3.5 but C# is the most flexible for what you can develop.

Imports System

VB.NET Syntax:

Namespace Hello
Class HelloWorld 
	Overloads Shared Sub [b]Main[/b](ByVal args() As String) 
	Dim name As String = "VB.NET" 

'See if an argument was passed from the command line
	 If args.Length = 1 Then name = args(0) 

Console.WriteLine("Hello, " & name & "!") 
	End Sub 
End Class 
End Namespace using System; 

C# Syntax

namespace Hello {
public class HelloWorld {
	public static void [b]Main[/b](string[] args) {
	string name = "C#";

// See if an argument was passed from the command line
	if (args.Length == 1)
	name = args[0];

Console.WriteLine("Hello, " + name + "!");