Sign in to follow this  
la1fas

CPU PHEN2 X6 1055T

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying this processor: CPU PHEN2 X6 1055T SAM3 BOX/125W 2800 HDT55TFBGRBOX AMD

Yeah it has 6 cores, but only 2,8GHZ.. My 2 year old pc with 2 cores has that much.. So can anyone explain how this works?

Is it possible to overclock it to 3.2 or so? with air cooling?

Or should I buy CPU PHEN2 X4 965 SAM3 BOX/125W 3400 HDZ965FBGMBOX AMD?

Thx

Depends on what you're going to do with the computer. The extra two cores of the 1055T versus the 965 will be helpful for multi-threaded applications, but for single threads then it can actually go either way. The AMD 6 cores also have Turbo Core which will under clock three cores to "over clock" the other three (thus keeping within the same heat threshold) and I think that can get as high as a 600MHz boost. When Turbo Core is acting, the clock speed would, if it is 600MHz, I don't remember exactly, then be the same as the 965.

As I said, to get a good response to your question, we will need to know what you're going to be using the CPU for. For future responses, the 1055T and 965 are about the same price.

As far as overclocking to achieve 3.2GHz, the 1055T has a locked multiplier, so even if it can get that high on air, overclocking will not be as easy as on a Black Edition, like the 965. The 1090T is a BE, but it is also $100 more expensive than the 965 and 1055T.

I hope this helps, and that others can be even more helpful.

Phenom IIs usually clock to around 3.8GHz without any voltage increase, although it's been a long time since I haven't played with a non-BE...

I would go with the 1055T. If you have a good motherboard, you won't have any difficulties overclocking it. :)

I would spend the extra $100.....but that is me....

Ramping up the HTT sometimes gets ram conflicts, even on a divider, this is due to the load put on the CPU IMC....plus, some MB's get a little quirky when you start jamming super high HTT, you may never really be able to milk the full potential on the 1055....

Having the unlockage makes life a bit easier and gives you multiple options with configuration....

That said, I have seen lots 1055 clocks @3.6 gig and beyond, if all you want is 3.2, should be a piece of cake blindfolded..

Good luck....

Laterzzzz........

Ramping up the HTT sometimes gets ram conflicts, even on a divider, this is due to the load put on the CPU IMC....plus, some MB's get a little quirky when you start jamming super high HTT, you may never really be able to milk the full potential on the 1055....

Good motherboards will hit 300MHz reference clock without any fuss. You just have to decrease the ratios.

Good motherboards will hit 300MHz reference clock without any fuss. You just have to decrease the ratios.

Yup, I agree, however, I got the sense the OP was on a budget, investing another $150 to $250 on a new MB (and maybe ramski, DDR3? another expense) may not be in the budget....my statement regarding the CPU IMC still stands, this is still a very senstitive spot when it comes to ram conflicts, yes, even on a divider to make it easier.....

I have run into several CPU's that fail miserably in that area, but shine rather well when clocking with x's rather than HTT....

YMMV

laterzzzz........