Redesigned 360?

bp9801

Im double checking that my VGA cable that I use on my Elite will still work with the new console,

If it does, I will be getting the new one when it comes out. :thumbsup:

Also, I did read that it has a much better cooling and heatsink system. Its overall a better system.

ie: we shouldn't see nearly as many issues with this new one.

The old "new" systems were the same thing, just with a little different internal design. From what i've seen, this is very much revamped.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price $300 (Same price as the 120GB 360 without Wifi)

Built in Wireless N

250 GB HDD

"Available today" (so probably see it sometime this week)

Pictures of the new 360: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/new-xbox-360-shipping-today-for-299-250gb-hdd-built-in-wifi/

Backpanel shows: 3 USB, 1 USB or Firewire (can't tell), Ethernet, Standard RCA/Component adapter, HDMI, Optical built in, and a smaller PSU connector.

I have to admit, this new slim xbox certainly does look appealing, but then again what console isn't going for the black look these days? Even the wii is jumping on it, PS3 had it going all along though. Not quite appealing enough to make me get one though.

That "1 USB or Firewire" could be the dedicated Kinect port. Apparently this model has a single specific port for the Kinect, so that a single cable can be used, as opposed to the two needed for the older models (one's power, the other data).

Seeing more pictures of it now, it does look nice, but I would need more than looks to justify getting one.

One thing I am curious about is what this means for the 360's replacement. We are coming up on six years old, and isn't six years the normal lifespan of a console? If they are still releasing versions, beyond just new paint jobs, does that mean they intend on keeping it around for longer.

Edit: This might help make me get a 360 though: Kinect Star Wars. We shall see.

I don't think this is their way of extending it's life but more of a way for them to make some more money while attempting to solve the RROD once and for all. Assuming they actually made these slims better that is. Mostly I think it's just a way to make more money though, when it comes to microsoft I personally expect a new OS out of them every 3 years, of course it's not really a new OS, just the old one with added features.

guess the Valhalla motherboard revision has finally been launched, i just didn't expect it to come in a totally different package

Microsoft is saying that this console (the new motherboard, didn't know the name till now) will NOT have the 3RROD or E74 errors that the others consoles had.

That alone is interesting enough to make me want to get it. :biggrin:

The camera and control unit will be sold seperately also and are backwards compatible with previous xBox generations. Just in case you want the capability but dont want to spring for a whole new box. It will definitely launch in Q3 - 2010.

• Ok so say they fix the RROD issue ( shouldn't have had it in the first place :erm: ), but say they fix it - Check
  • New body style to go with redesigned system - Check
  • New functionality most 360 gamers won't really care about (Kinect) - Check
  • Built in WiFi now that most people who were going to buy this accessory already have it - Check
  • New (faster?) operating system instead of the old dinky slow one - ???

We already know both Sony and Microsoft are going to keep their systems active longer than the typical lifecycle of a console because they went on record saying so. Now Microsoft has confirmed it by releasing this version of it instead of announcing a next gen version. This version has more overhead than just a new case.

So anyone want to take a guess on how much longer we are on the 360 platform for games?

3yrs? longer?

So anyone want to take a guess on how much longer we are on the 360 platform for games?

3yrs? longer?

I will take a stab and say that new consoles will not be coming until 2013.

3yrs? longer?

I'm thinking 2014 or 2015 is when all three have new consoles. And since this is a guess that won't matter (and I doubt it will haunt me) I'll speculate even more. Nintendo displays new hardware within about a year from now, meaning not much later than next years E3. Microsoft and Sony will both say they aren't worried about, but by the next E3 (2012) there have at least been rumor's with pictures. Even further guess, Sony will have something out before Microsoft.

Why do I think Nintendo will be the first? They need it the most, and may already have had the project going for years. If the Wii really is just an improved GameCube, then the team working on new hardware could have been working prior to the Wii launch. Something new was needed, so they went with the Wii.

To sum up: Nintendo 2012-2013, Sony 2013-2014, Microsoft late 2013-2014.

In two years, I'll bet I will have forgotten about this thread and will never know whose guess was closest.