Redesigned 360?

bp9801

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add to all this the new ESPN for gold members.

Thats a deal maker right here.

Its basically the end of cable for me, no more need for the service.

I just hope that deal comes to Canada so I can disconnect....

It better.

That is huge, a lot of gamers might shrug it off. But think of the millions of people who just buy these consoles for sports games... ESPN's partnership is huge no doubt about it. On demand videos, and live games (I think they said that).

Price $300 (Same price as the 120GB 360 without Wifi)

Built in Wireless N

250 GB HDD

"Available today" (so probably see it sometime this week)

Pictures of the new 360: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/new-xbox-360-shipping-today-for-299-250gb-hdd-built-in-wifi/

Backpanel shows: 3 USB, 1 USB or Firewire (can't tell), Ethernet, Standard RCA/Component adapter, HDMI, Optical built in, and a smaller PSU connector.

That "1 USB or Firewire" could be the dedicated Kinect port. Apparently this model has a single specific port for the Kinect, so that a single cable can be used, as opposed to the two needed for the older models (one's power, the other data).

Seeing more pictures of it now, it does look nice, but I would need more than looks to justify getting one.

One thing I am curious about is what this means for the 360's replacement. We are coming up on six years old, and isn't six years the normal lifespan of a console? If they are still releasing versions, beyond just new paint jobs, does that mean they intend on keeping it around for longer.

Edit: This might help make me get a 360 though: Kinect Star Wars. We shall see.

That "1 USB or Firewire" could be the dedicated Kinect port. Apparently this model has a single specific port for the Kinect, so that a single cable can be used, as opposed to the two needed for the older models (one's power, the other data).

Seeing more pictures of it now, it does look nice, but I would need more than looks to justify getting one.

One thing I am curious about is what this means for the 360's replacement. We are coming up on six years old, and isn't six years the normal lifespan of a console? If they are still releasing versions, beyond just new paint jobs, does that mean they intend on keeping it around for longer.

Edit: This might help make me get a 360 though: Kinect Star Wars. We shall see.

It'll probably be at least another 2 years before we start to see a new generation. 7 years is about normal for Sony, and Microsoft will probably wait to see what Sony comes up with before they announce theirs.

It'll probably be at least another 2 years before we start to see a new generation. 7 years is about normal for Sony, and Microsoft will probably wait to see what Sony comes up with before they announce theirs.

Yeah, maybe they'll put the time into the next one to keep out RROD's!

Honestly though, I doubt that either Sony or Microsoft will release something new for some time, even two years. I just say that because their hardware is still good and I'm betting they can still milk more from it. Especially the PS3. They can support 1080p, and 3D systems (just read a few minutes ago that Crysis 2 at least demoed a 3D mode that ran very well on the 360). The Wii could use a replacement in that time, because while Nintendo fans, including myself, can speak about game quality over visual quality, an HD Link or Mario would still be welcome. I cannot see how an improvement could be made to either the 360 or PS3 that would warrant a new system release. Incorporation of the motion tracking does not need an Xbox 720 or PS4, and improved stability also should not need a brand new device.

That's my opinion anyway. More may be known though as this week continues.

Oh wow, I just went out and bought another Xbox this past weekend after my old one RRODed... I might be returning it to get this new one.

EDIT: Scratch that, after reading the specs, I WILL be returning this one to get the new one. A larger hard drive and built-in wireless N for the same price as I paid for this old brick three days ago? Hell yes I will be returning it.

To transfer your data from your old hard drive to your new internal one, you will have 2 options:

• Use a Data Transfer Cable to connect the old HDD to the console via USB
  • Use a USB external HDD or Jumpdrive to transfer the data one by one.

The HDD that is internal also apears to be removable. It looks to be similar to a bay inserted drive.

It also appears that you will not be able to directly connect the old HDD's to the new console.

ATM, it looks to comes with the standard one year warranty.

I did hear a rumor that it will not have the 3 year RROD/E74 error warranty, but you would be able to purchase the extended warranty from Microsoft to continue covering the console for $29.95.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/xbox-360-slim-unwrapped-and-unboxed/#continued

Video for those who don't like slide shows. Only 1 Year Warranty, not 3 year :(.

Still has the 2x USB in the front and that 1 USB/Firewire I mention is actually a Kinect port. Proprietary hard drives, bastards. 360 HDD Transfer cables $20 at retail around when new 360 comes out.

The Xbox 360 Arcade is dropping from $199.99 to $149.99 at Target. The Elite will drop from $299.99 to $249.99.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/xbox-360-slim-unwrapped-and-unboxed/#continued

Video for those who don't like slide shows. Only 1 Year Warranty, not 3 year :(.

Still has the 2x USB in the front and that 1 USB/Firewire I mention is actually a Kinect port. Proprietary hard drives, bastards. 360 HDD Transfer cables $20 at retail around when new 360 comes out.

The Xbox 360 Arcade is dropping from $199.99 to $149.99 at Target. The Elite will drop from $299.99 to $249.99.

1 year might be OK. With all the money they have to spend fixing this RROD issue, that is a MAJOR incentive for them to make sure that this new one doesn't do the same thing. Something tells me they tested its capabilities using graphics engines that don't exist yet, while broiling the Xbox in the oven.

in the video you can see the close up of the side it says "Xbox 360 S Console (Gloss)" so i guess its officially called the 360 S then.

anyone else want to make a bet on how long until we see the first RROD on these new xboxes :lol:. like LoArmistead said, hopefully its fully fixed now. otherwise its a very low act by microsoft to drop the 3yr RROD.

when i get some spare cash i may decide to get one of these. i wonder what kind of game bundles places will offer.