Links To Sites For Hardware Help

beeiilll

I'm looking for links to other sites that cater more to hardware help and reviews.

I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers on this forum, but it just seems to me that the level of help for members concerning hardware info has gotten less in the year since I have been on here as well as it has dropped since the passing of Verran (RIP).

And with this being a forum for overclocking and not so much for hardware, I would expect that true hardware info would be somewhat less than a major interest even though they do go hand in hand.

So I would appreciate any links that are out there for hardware. I personally am interested in learning about SSD's and the differences between the different controllers and construction of the various types.

I am also looking at doing a new build and would be interested in new motherboards and CPU's as well as memory, although I do have a new MB and CPU in mind for right now and really just need to find good memory for it. I did try to post about my new build on here and only got folks diss'ing my build choices concerning the prices rather than help which somewhat surprised me since it is my money to spend, but I do understand frugal and cheap if one wishes to go that way.

So Thanks for any links you might have to share.

Bill

I do agree somewhat with what you are saying but there are many great reviews here on OCC but if you are after hardware "how it works" type articles then perhaps OCC isn't the place but perhaps it's something to look at? What do you think Dave?

I certain amount of "dissing" does go on at times but I'm of the same opinion as you, it's your money and you spend it on the hardware you want to buy. If any hardware recommendations have been made then I'm sure the majority of the alternatives were suggested not because they were necessarily cheaper but because they offered equal or better performance, without a loss in quality for less money, there is a difference.

Wikipedia is a great start for information but any search engine will pick up the information you require, Google is your friend.

Members like to discuss anything and everything overclocking because its a hobby of theirs. But that in no way means they can't help out a fellow member with other hardware type questions. It's not like we only know about overclocking ;) I don't think questions go unanswered, if you are having problems why not ask? If you don't have a problem but still want to discuss, say SSD's, why don't you? In fact i think there are some members that really know a thing or two about them, Waco and Zertz come to mind.

Anyways, if you want to read some well written articles on hard drives and SSD's Techreport writes some informative articles on them.

As for the dissing, well it happens, on every site!

I do agree somewhat with what you are saying but there are many great reviews here on OCC but if you are after hardware "how it works" type articles then perhaps OCC isn't the place but perhaps it's something to look at? What do you think Dave?

I certain amount of "dissing" does go on at times but I'm of the same opinion as you, it's your money and you spend it on the hardware you want to buy. If any hardware recommendations have been made then I'm sure the majority of the alternatives were suggested not because they were necessarily cheaper but because they offered equal or better performance, without a loss in quality for less money, there is a difference.

Wikipedia is a great start for information but any search engine will pick up the information you require, Google is your friend.

Okay here is the link to my build that I had posted. http://forums.overcl...howtopic=175739

You will see that I asked about different motherboards if I was to go with liquid cooling as well as questions about liquid cooling.  No recommendations or suggestions on either, just concerns on my spending so much?

As for the remarks on the power supply, I would think that one would ask WHY I wanted such a large supply rather than just say it is overkill. Since no one other than me knows what I am going to use this system for I think it would be rather tough to make such statements? I do have a reason for the larger supply and just wanted to see if there are any manufactuers out there who do deal with them.

I will agree with you that there are many really great reviews on here though.

I have always thought that OCC was a good place to obtain info on many things. It just seems to me that it has changed a lot in the last year or two.

I always knew that Verran would steer me in a direction when I had questions or he would find out for me.

Nowadays it seems that there is not so much interest in helping since I see so many postings on things that have pretty much nothing to do with the forum.

It is more like a chat board rather than a forum to me.

"If you are building this PC because you can then that's fine but if your building for a purpose then pray tell."

You never responded.

"Nowadays it seems that there is not so much interest in helping since I see so many postings on things that have pretty much nothing to do with the forum.

It is more like a chat board rather than a forum to me."

People are always willing to help but there is some truth in what you say.

I think it's one of the trends that this forum has taken recently. Some of us are "thrifty" and it seems to bleed through in their (our) posts.

Don't let it discourage you, you need to take the upper hand and say "This is how I want to spend my money!" :thumbsup:

Sometimes you can get better responses if you don't focus your posts on the entire build. Allocate portions of your overall budget to certain components - say 20% for cooling systems. Then, given that rough budget, put up a quick thread about current watercooling components with that budget in mind. It's much easier to get people to argue about certain component performance if that's the matter up for discussion :teehee:

"If you are building this PC because you can then that's fine but if your building for a purpose then pray tell."

You never responded.

"Nowadays it seems that there is not so much interest in helping since I see so many postings on things that have pretty much nothing to do with the forum.

It is more like a chat board rather than a forum to me."

People are always willing to help but there is some truth in what you say.

Well I guess I do owe you an apology since I read through that posting and didn't catch the true meaning of "pray tell". My bad.

I think it's one of the trends that this forum has taken recently. Some of us are "thrifty" and it seems to bleed through in their (our) posts.

Don't let it discourage you, you need to take the upper hand and say "This is how I want to spend my money!" thumbsup3.gif

Sometimes you can get better responses if you don't focus your posts on the entire build. Allocate portions of your overall budget to certain components - say 20% for cooling systems. Then, given that rough budget, put up a quick thread about current watercooling components with that budget in mind. It's much easier to get people to argue about certain component performance if that's the matter up for discussion teehee.gif

Yea, I do have to agree with the "thrifty" concern especially with today's economy issues.

I think you are right too that I may have to chop my build idea down into chunks to get better responses.

Problem with those system specs is that I am looking at a system that will be capable of OCing, doing some video and audio processing work on it, and playing with expansion as well. Hence the larger power supply since I may even try out 4 - 480 cards in SLI just to play with them and see how things work in the future if I want too.

Yup, a big chunk of change to throw out there but it will allow me to change things around and play with them as well as learn the newer tech stuff by having it on hand to bang on too.

Don't let it discourage you, you need to take the upper hand and say "This is how I want to spend my money!" :thumbsup:

Sometimes you can get better responses if you don't focus your posts on the entire build. Allocate portions of your overall budget to certain components - say 20% for cooling systems. Then, given that rough budget, put up a quick thread about current watercooling components with that budget in mind. It's much easier to get people to argue about certain component performance if that's the matter up for discussion :teehee:

Nate brings up some good points Bee.

There is still a ton of knowledgeable people here. After the last year the way the economy has gone a lot of people are tight with money and people tend to offer advice about saving money and getting the same performance. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say its my money and ask what the best is not what the best deal is. Its your money we can't tell you where to spend it in the end that is up to you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, times have gotten tougher and money is tighter and it is only going to get much worse in the future. But that still doesn't mean that I can't spend what I want on what I want now does it? Nor should I have to justify my spending whatever I want too. And it is hard to allocate spending on a system when you are going to build a whole new system and don't really have all the basic parts sorted out yet. So you put out the system specs you feel are a good starting point and go from there.

I have already changed my mind about the motherboard I want to use and am going to use an EVGA SR-2 and a couple of Intel Xeon X5680 CPU's. So that is going to change some of the other specs for the system right away as well as it will be using liquid cooling now, I'm just not sure of using basic water or maybe a Peltier style cooling setup.

Folks should not worry about my spending habits, just about what I am asking for help on in my opinion.

And just so you know, I have found 2 new (at least to me) forums that are much more like OCC used to be a few years ago. The people on those sites are there to help each other and make recommendations rather than infere their own opinions or add some dumb +1 comment just to up their post count.

I have gotten more out of those 2 forums in the last week than out of this one in the last 2 months!

I will hang around and lurk and read the reviews from time to time since one never knows when there will be something of real interest about computers that may come up.

I only wish the best to all on here, but I go to these forums to learn things about computers and overclocking - not videos of a new bicycle or who believes in God.

Bill

Yes, times have gotten tougher and money is tighter and it is only going to get much worse in the future. But that still doesn't mean that I can't spend what I want on what I want now does it? Nor should I have to justify my spending whatever I want too. And it is hard to allocate spending on a system when you are going to build a whole new system and don't really have all the basic parts sorted out yet. So you put out the system specs you feel are a good starting point and go from there.

I have already changed my mind about the motherboard I want to use and am going to use an EVGA SR-2 and a couple of Intel Xeon X5680 CPU's. So that is going to change some of the other specs for the system right away as well as it will be using liquid cooling now, I'm just not sure of using basic water or maybe a Peltier style cooling setup.

Folks should not worry about my spending habits, just about what I am asking for help on in my opinion.

And just so you know, I have found 2 new (at least to me) forums that are much more like OCC used to be a few years ago. The people on those sites are there to help each other and make recommendations rather than infere their own opinions or add some dumb +1 comment just to up their post count.

I have gotten more out of those 2 forums in the last week than out of this one in the last 2 months!

I will hang around and lurk and read the reviews from time to time since one never knows when there will be something of real interest about computers that may come up.

I only wish the best to all on here, but I go to these forums to learn things about computers and overclocking - not videos of a new bicycle or who believes in God.

Bill

Bill

You have to remember there is a ton of people out there that do not have the proper knowledge and tend to piss money away based on that lack of knowledge. Don't fault people for trying to save you money there is nothing wrong with that, however as I said before if you are firm on what you want just state that.

There is so many different forums out there each one has its own perks most of the time, if you feel that they are better then OCC that is your opinon and I wish you luck its your choice. If you choose to stay/lurk or whatever I welcome that.

There is a ton of forums out there that don't cater to the people with a budget in mind so you have to find the forum that is suited for you.