Artic Freezer 7 Pro To An H50 Today

Gonna see what help I can get from upgrading to a corsair H50 CPU cooler. ATM idle temps are 53,47,50,51 with my overclock in my sig, and I'm gonna run an OCCT right now to see what it's at under load. Max temps on an OCCT run.. 72,65,68,68. I think I'm gonna try to set up a push pull cause I have the fan power, but I'll do it with 1 fan to their specs and see what diff the push pull makes. Just need to log out of Everquest first lawl.

edit: guess we lost our sigs with the board change? I got q9300 OC to 3.2 @ 1.29375 vcore, Antec 902, GTX 275, 4 GB G.Skill ddr2 1066, evga 750i FTW, corsair 750 TX.

Well then, results are in. I have a feeling my Artic Freezer pro 7 wasn't set optimally. I did reseat it and apply new TIM a few months back, but it was my first time. When I did that reseat and TIM application I did get temps to drop by about 1 or 2 degrees. I'll upload pics of the contact surface after i took it off. On to the results....

New Temps:

Idle: 50, 43, 46, 47

ok, so I got 3-4 degrees better. I wasn't jumping around my room with joy though. Of course it's the load that matters right?

100% : 59, 53, 57, 58

Now I'm dancing.

post-70842-12757881422812_thumb.jpg

post-70842-12757881562586_thumb.jpg

is it just me, or does that TIM spread look a bit off? like the block isn't making contact in the middle (where the cores are located)? at least i knowk Intel's cores are located in the center of the chip - AMD might not be? either way, it does not look like the cooler was making contact in the center which *should* have some detrimental effect. though i've never heard of something like that before - maybe the heat sink wasn't tightened down enough? or maybe it was warped? something to think about....

I redid testing today with OCCT linpack cause it's a bit harsher than reg OCCT (right?) I also installed another fan for push/pull to see if that improved things.

First run , 1 fan 15 min OCCT Linpack : 63, 59, 62, 62

2nd Run after push/pull installed OCCT Linpack : 62, 59, 60, 60

Idle temps are 1 degree cooler across all cores in push/pull

One other interesting thing is my GPU temp. It dropped 3 degrees with the 2nd fan install. Maybe just from more air flow?

Final thoughts: I'm extremely happy with the upgrade from the Artic Freezer Pro 7 (rev 1) to the Corsair H50. Looking at the pics I posted it appears I didn't have the greatest contact between cooler and CPU before, but my temps were a degree or 2 better with that mounting then when MicroCenter did it when I bought the mobo/cpu/cooler/ram and they post-tested it for me. As I was doing different stress testing to get my OC stable, I frequently saw temps in the 80's across all cores so to see 20+ degree drops is very satisfying. Paying $59.99 for the H50 was also a deal sealer. I see it for around $80 most of the time. And of course the best benefit is telling chicks that I water cool. The one con is that I now have an intake without a dust shield, but maybe I can rig one with my side fan shield cause I have that set for exhaust now since the rear push/pull 120's are intake. Here's a pic of my airflow:

post-70842-12765706112105_thumb.jpg