Evo 4G

Dariuas

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I did some research on upcoming AT&T announcements and looks like they're going to announce some stuff on June 7. Most notably, AT&T will be announcing something called the HTC Aria, and apparently nobody knows what the thing looks like; could be a form factor similar to the Desire or it could have a physical keyboard. I guess we'll find out in a couple of days.

Dariuas,

Working at BB, do you have a special Sprint service plan? Like $20 a month for 3000 min, unlim data and text?

Null

I can take advantage of a special deal; I think its exactly as mentioned.

I would be more willing to listen to what you have to say if you provided an actual argument instead of your typical nonsense.

Well it was sort of a conversation starter, though a bit of a low blow. For Android 2.2 will have Flash support, and the iPhone possibly never will. Despite many iPhone supporters touting that Flash is a dying breed....the fact remains that it is a VERY common entity on the internet. Flash is reason alone to get the phone. Naturally, the phone ships with only 2.1 but down the line (or if somebody leaks it to run on a custom 2.1 rom) it'll be here.

Then there's the screen real estate (which may or may not be too big), I honestly wish I could have an Incredible/Nexus One and an EVO for a week just to figure out if I'd better enjoy the 3.7" or the 4.1".

Then there's the the EVO's interesting feature of the hdmi out, which I'm interesting to see work.

I'll never go AT&T but if you know some more juicy details on the iPhone 4 I'll be glad to talk about it. I'd probably never own one but I could at least respect it from a distance, Android treats me just soo well to think about anything else now. I mean I struggled along with Windows Mobile and it really wasn't the worst experience and it had it's perks but Android is just so, free and refined.

Well it was sort of a conversation starter, though a bit of a low blow. For Android 2.2 will have Flash support, and the iPhone possibly never will. Despite many iPhone supporters touting that Flash is a dying breed....the fact remains that it is a VERY common entity on the internet. Flash is reason alone to get the phone. Naturally, the phone ships with only 2.1 but down the line (or if somebody leaks it to run on a custom 2.1 rom) it'll be here.

I would hardly say Flash is reason enough to get a phone. I rarely come across websites that absolutely require it, and most video sites work just fine, especially if they embed Youtube videos. The App Store has tons of free games available, so I don't need Flash to play games (plus, judging by some demo videos I've seen, they don't work as great as dedicated apps anyway). Videos and games are the two big reasons to have Flash, and since there are alternatives available on both the iPhone and Android platforms, Flash isn't really a major selling point for mobile phones. It's merely a novelty.

Then there's the screen real estate (which may or may not be too big), I honestly wish I could have an Incredible/Nexus One and an EVO for a week just to figure out if I'd better enjoy the 3.7" or the 4.1".

This is the main thing I like about the Evo. Having a larger screen would be fantastic for browsing the web and watching videos. However, now that I have an iPad, my iPhone rarely gets used for anything besides calling/texting and the occasional web browsing (usually just to look up something quick). So I'm not sure whether it would be worth the hassle of switching from the iPhone OS to Android if I'm rarely going to use the thing. Now if I didn't have an iPad, then I would definitely get myself an Android phone with a larger screen than the iPhone.

Then there's the the EVO's interesting feature of the hdmi out, which I'm interesting to see work.

This seems like another novelty feature; adding it in just for the sake of being able to say that they did (the specs on the Evo really give the phone the feeling of it being an engineer's wet dream haha). I could see myself using it just to try it out and then never use it ever again.

I'll never go AT&T but if you know some more juicy details on the iPhone 4 I'll be glad to talk about it. I'd probably never own one but I could at least respect it from a distance, Android treats me just soo well to think about anything else now. I mean I struggled along with Windows Mobile and it really wasn't the worst experience and it had it's perks but Android is just so, free and refined.

Yea, I really like the Android platform. I've played around with several of them, including my mom's Hero and even though it was 1.5/1.6 (I forget exactly) I really liked it (enough to the point where I skinned my iPhone with SenseUI :P). This is why I'm on the edge between an Android phone and the iPhone. AT&T is announcing some new Android phones on Monday, though nobody knows for sure what. Let's see what Apple has to offer on Monday and then I'll figure out which direction I'm going to go.

I would hardly say Flash is reason enough to get a phone. I rarely come across websites that absolutely require it, and most video sites work just fine, especially if they embed Youtube videos. The App Store has tons of free games available, so I don't need Flash to play games (plus, judging by some demo videos I've seen, they don't work as great as dedicated apps anyway). Videos and games are the two big reasons to have Flash, and since there are alternatives available on both the iPhone and Android platforms, Flash isn't really a major selling point for mobile phones. It's merely a novelty.

This is the main thing I like about the Evo. Having a larger screen would be fantastic for browsing the web and watching videos. However, now that I have an iPad, my iPhone rarely gets used for anything besides calling/texting and the occasional web browsing (usually just to look up something quick). So I'm not sure whether it would be worth the hassle of switching from the iPhone OS to Android if I'm rarely going to use the thing. Now if I didn't have an iPad, then I would definitely get myself an Android phone with a larger screen than the iPhone.

This seems like another novelty feature; adding it in just for the sake of being able to say that they did (the specs on the Evo really give the phone the feeling of it being an engineer's wet dream haha). I could see myself using it just to try it out and then never use it ever again.

Yea, I really like the Android platform. I've played around with several of them, including my mom's Hero and even though it was 1.5/1.6 (I forget exactly) I really liked it (enough to the point where I skinned my iPhone with SenseUI :P). This is why I'm on the edge between an Android phone and the iPhone. AT&T is announcing some new Android phones on Monday, though nobody knows for sure what. Let's see what Apple has to offer on Monday and then I'll figure out which direction I'm going to go.

I'm no phone expert but I definitely been in arguments of this nature before and it seems rather illogical to me to write off a feature just because you personally won't use it. In my opinion an extra feature should be appreciated whether you use it or not. I personally don't know what the iphone and ipad are capable of but if apple uses the same business sense that they did when they were making the first generation of ipods then I would feel pretty confident in assuming that the iphone has less features than the majority of it's competitors. However I'm not trying to fight my way into this argument since like I said, I'm not knowledgeable about phones, nor do I know much about these particular phones, I don't even know the prices for that matter. All I'm saying is that a phone or any other electronic shouldn't have it's features stepped on just because it doesn't fit preference.

Also you said "the specs on the Evo really give the phone the feeling of it being an engineer's wet dream haha." To me that sounds like a pretty good phone, I mean you don't really want a phone that's the engineer's worst nightmare, right?

Keep in mind that I wasn't doing a direct comparison between the Evo and its competitors in general, I was going a comparison for ME. So writing off a feature because I personally will never use it is perfectly valid :P

By wet dream I mean they designed a phone with every conceivable feature (everything but the kitchen sink, if you will).

How about watching HD videos you've captured with the phone on the big screen?

I even use my Zune (with an annoying dock, HDMI out would be amazing) for watching clips on my TV simply because it's such a pain to bring over the whole computer.

I am interested to see how the HDMI functions, I havent found a cable yet though. I will be going to E3 so I am excited to be able to do as TK says and show movie captures.

The other thing I am in interested in doing with my EVO, is ripping blu rays (Any suggestions on good software to use?) and be able to take those movies with me

to a friends house, and let everyone enjoy the movie.