Oil Cooling???

• 2 weeks later...

I watched this, and went on the best tangent ever:

SYSTM (YouTube channel)

They did that aquarium oil-cooling kit, and it turns out a lot of other crazy stuff not even related to PC's, but just awesome stuff in general, like night vision and alcohol distillation.

One thing they mentioned, that I actually suspected at first but couldn't find any data to confirm, is that oil is not nearly as good as water at conducting heat, and while it might be more conductive of heat than air, the fact that it has a higher resistance to flow means it won't be a big improvement, if any, because it'll want to stick around more. So an oil-submerged system might look dead sexy (heck, it could even spark a conversation with a girl) but it couldn't out-perform a water cooling system.

Oil can out-perform a water cooling system. Why? Because you can make it colder than you can water. Guess what, water freezes at 32*F. Oil does not. At normal not cooling the water or oil, except with a radiator, yes you are right. But you absolutely are wrong about oil not being able to out-perform water.

its cool to mess around with ive thought of doing in the thing that puts me off is should you come to replace any hardware its a right pain cleaning the oil off but it would make a cool looking file server or media pc giving it that cool fishtank look

Oil can out-perform a water cooling system. Why? Because you can make it colder than you can water. Guess what, water freezes at 32*F. Oil does not. At normal not cooling the water or oil, except with a radiator, yes you are right. But you absolutely are wrong about oil not being able to out-perform water.

You might have a point there. According to WikiAnswers, mineral oil freezes at around -30C. However, a solution of 70% Ethylene Glycol (antifreeze) and 30% water has a freezing point of -51C. This concentration does have a lower boiling point than mineral oil, but if you're running the system cold it shouldn't be a problem. Basically I think a system with refrigerated antifreeze in the form of a traditional water cooling rig (replacing the radiator with a refrigerating system, of course) will be more effective than submerging the system in oil.

Hmm... I wonder if you could submerge a computer in distilled water? Because pure H2O by itself won't conduct electricity. You would have to be absolutely certain there are NO ionic substances ANYWHERE though. And it would have to be sealed permanently and guarded with your life - imagine your baby brother dips his grubby, sweaty little paws in and the whole thing blows up! :rofl: