Sign in to follow this  
politbureau

1366 4.2Ghz+ Tri-Sli Motherboard Reccomendation

Finally looking to upgrade the mobo in my trusty Dell 730X, as it just doesn't have the juice to push my new 'golden' D0 chip... :down2:

I most certainly need something that will support Tri-SLI (as spec'd in my sig), and be powerful enough to OC my 920 to 4.2GHz and beyond. I'm fine with 16/16/8 setups, but I've seen a few 16/16/4 that I'd rather stay away from.

I'd like to keep price in the lower/mid range - around C$200-250 (about the same in USD), without sacrificing too much. I don't need dual gigabit connections or anything else - I have a seperate rig for 'work,' so this is gaming only...

I'm hoping it also be compatible with my Noctua D14, but that's not a deal breaker.

I've been looking closely at the EVGA SLI LE (757), as I've had nothing but luck with EVGA in the past, but not sure if there are other reasonably priced options that will go the distance.

Thoughts appreciated! Looking to buy in the next week :)

Cheers

If you populate my P6T Deluxe v2 with 3 cards it runs 16,8,8... I'm pretty confident PCIe 2.0 @ 8x would not be a limiting factor... the only problem is the 2nd and 3rd PCIe x16 slots are next to each other, so the 2nd card would have to be single slot cooling somehow

btw 20x multi will not get you as high as an OC as 21x (in case you can achieve that via Turbo forced on your mobo now)

If you populate my P6T Deluxe v2 with 3 cards it runs 16,8,8... I'm pretty confident PCIe 2.0 @ 8x would not be a limiting factor... the only problem is the 2nd and 3rd PCIe x16 slots are next to each other, so the 2nd card would have to be single slot cooling somehow

btw 20x multi will not get you as high as an OC as 21x (in case you can achieve that via Turbo forced on your mobo now)

Thanks HN - 16/8/8 is fine too, honestly, but a single slot isn't gonna cut it... I'd really like the Classified for the extra PCIe slot to run my X-Fi Titanium, but it's just not gonna happen at my budget, I'm pretty sure.

Two problems with the Dell - firstly, it won't run at anything above 200MHz bclk or the CPU at 4GHz. For some reason it just shuts down.. 201 x 12 doesn't fly, but 200x20 does. Also, if I set bclk to anything above 190 with Turbo enabled, the 21x mutli kicks in and pushes the CPU above 4GHz and again - shut down. It's like Dell built in a wall just to piss me off.

The real issue however is that the mobo does NOT support D0 chips properly. It sets the QPI and Uncore mutlipliers to 24x by default, and there is no way to adjust them (QPI can be adjusted to 18x manually, but that puts uncore:qpi at 9:12...). Plus the 730x is EOL now, so there is ZERO chance of a BIOS upgrade :(

Def getting the EVGA 3X SLI or the new FTW3 (if avail within the week).

Massive rebates on the 3X SLI (758-TR) right now, and can get it for $189 + tax.

Cheers