Miek

My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

So what made you change from a gtx470 to a gtx460? Honestly i think you would be happier with a more powerful card. You have the space in your budget for it. i just dont want you to be disappointed after all this deliberation

The performance difference between a GTX 460 and 470 isn't that far apart.. just a few frames as shown here. Save a 100 bucks (give or take) and get similar performance? I'd say thats an easy answer.

Referring back to a previous post I personally wouldn't start installing components into the case as you get them.

Set up a minimum build, use the motherboard box, mobo, cpu, cooler, one stick of ram and graphics card and just make sure things are "working" before you install into the case, this way you can tell if anything is DOA before you install anything.

I think the ESD wristband is an excellent idea. Static is a funny old animal in that any damage done may not be immediately apparent. I have seen many a posting saying it isn't necessary but would be interested to know how things are six months down the road. Static electricity can damage components but not kill them immediately.

I think the ESD wristband is an excellent idea. Static is a funny old animal in that any damage done may not be immediately apparent. I have seen many a posting saying it isn't necessary but would be interested to know how things are six months down the road. Static electricity can damage components but not kill them immediately.

I have a story about static electricity and how it can kill components. I had my PS3 on the carpeted floor for maybe a week at the most in my old apartment. I finally had gotten something to set it on so I did that and thought it was fine. Few weeks later and the system starts acting weird, won't play certain games, the menu icons are covered by white boxes, and the games it does play randomly freeze. Turns out the system got grounded from just being on the carpet for a week at best.

So yeah, take measures against static electricity. Whether its the bracelet or working on a tile/wooden floor or just grounding yourself to the case can all help out.

Hmm... Pretty much ALL of the EVGA GTX460's are sold out. Should I go with this Zotac? Is Zotac a good brand not likely to fail? The only thing I don't like about that card is the positioning of the DVI ports on the back- It looks like ventilation good be compromised.

I would have ordered already but I've been working a lot and tomorrow I'm going to go to a football game. Then I'm going to the Rocky Mountains for a week, so I don't think I'll be able to order then. :wacko: However... Maybe if I can jam in an order tomorrow somehow my parts will arrive before/soon after I get back. I really hate waiting. :-/

And pertaining to cables: Will my motherboard include all needed cables? ie. SATA cables, etc.

Edited by Miek

I'd personally go with a Gigabyte GTX 460 over a Zotac but thats just me. :P

How long will you be gone on the trip? If its over a week, I'd say to wait to place the order until you get back. Don't want to have it sitting outside in the sun/rain for a while if it gets there early.

And yes, the motherboard should come with enough SATA cables to hook up 2 to 4 devices, just depends. I've had motheboards come with enough cables to hook up all my drives and then some.

Hmm... Pretty much ALL of the EVGA GTX460's are sold out.

Umm....what?? (oh you said EVGA, anyway get this one it's the one I have and it's a beast)

Look at my sig for the OCs I got, this thing now is a 470+GTX

How long will you be gone on the trip? If its over a week, I'd say to wait to place the order until you get back. Don't want to have it sitting outside in the sun/rain for a while if it gets there early.

I will be gone for about a week, give or take a day. The parts aren't actually shipping to my home. They're going to ship to where I work because I live out of town and don't want things left outside. My plan was to order either today or tomorrow. Then I can pick up the parts on my way home and start building.

Oh- and I'm going to switch my keyboard to a USB one- I found a PS/2 keyboard laying around that I can use for setup. :D

I am also tempted somewhat to use the GD80 instead of the GD65. My only gripe about that is that the GD80 costs as much as some X58 boards (though even if I went for it, the cost would still be lower. Cost of P55 + i5 + 4GB RAM < cost of X58 + i7 + 6GB RAM by upwards of $150 with parts I wanted).

Edited by Miek

Ahh, got it. Well hopefully you'll be able to get the parts soon.

As for the motherboard, I think either would work. If you need to save money then I think you'll be fine with the GD65. If the temps get high you can always rig up a 60mm fan to blow directly at it to help keep them down. But if you go with the GD80 then you wouldn't have the problem.. provided the cost is still within your budget.

For the keyboard, will you be buying it on this order or doing some research and just using the PS/2 one for now?

I'll be buying it with the rest of the parts- the one I found is an old POS, quite frankly. But it'll work, and that's what's important.

And I think I may as well up the board to the GD80. The MOBO is one of the most important components and if it dies or overheats or anything like that it can screw over pretty much everything else. Though the GD60 would probably work very well, I think I'll go the "high end" road this time. For a difference of $72.00, I see no reason not to. Then it's guaranteed to be really good, I guess. :thumbsup:

How is MSI Live update with win7 x64 now?

Edited by Miek