Miek

My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

Alright then: At that, I think this is the final build (anything that changes in it will simply be from brand to brand, ie. ASUS GTX460 to EVGA GTX460)

• LITE-ON PS/2 Keyboard
  • EVGA GTX460 1GB
  • Cooler Master Storm Sniper
  • MSI P55-GD65
  • Corsair 750HX
  • Intel Core i5-760
  • Corsair XMS 4GB DDR3 1333 8-8-8-24 RAM
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (1 back OEM for system builders)
  • LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98
  • Zonet ZEW2500 Minin USB Wireless adapter
  • Noctua NH-U12P
  • Creative Inspire T3130 Speakers

Before shipping: $1,516.37

After shipping: $1,649.06

- Shipping with Purolator ground shipping.

Alright then... Think it's safe to pull the trigger on this one?

Any ideas when (or if) OCC will do a review of the i5-760?

That all looks very solid. You should have a ton of performance with it and should last you for some time. I'd go for it, personally.

As for the review, I'm not sure. Its just a product refresh really so we may or may not do it.

Is the 760 the same chip but with a higher multi? As in... It'd the same as the 750 only faster? But otherwise identical?

I would imagine so. Intel probably just bumped the multiplier up one to get the higher speed. I'm not too sure on how they do things like that, but I'd imagine it'd be something close. Maybe. :lol:

Regardless, I think you'll be happy with the i5 760. Still not sure on how well it will OC but the 750 can hit pretty high.. so the 760 should be pretty similar imo.

Alright then. I think this build's the ticket. I'll probably place an order tomorrow. Then, I'll have to look for a working camera to do a build log.

How come you're sticking with a PS/2 keyboard for now? Going to wait for something coming out down the road? I'm just curious is all.

I think you'll be real happy with it, building a new PC is always so much fun. And if you have any issues with it, you know where to ask. :P

It's for ease of initial setup. That, and it'll serve as a backup in the future if one I buy breaks. Not to mention that it's only $10. :P

Something I'm wondering: Look at the GD65 and the GD80.

The GD80 has three heat-sinks on it while the GD65 has only two. What is that third heat-sink on the GD80 cooling?

Edited by Miek

It seems that the GD-80 has another heatsink to help keep everything cooler. Going from the review at [H], it seems that the GD-65 gets a little warmer on the chipset and may even need a small fan to help keep everything cool while the GD-80 doesn't need one.

Thanks! Do you think the storm sniper I selected would have adequate airflow to keep the GD65 cool? [H] did say that even at a 45 degree ambient, 48+ hour torture test the GD65 didn't fail or lose stability.

So long as the Storm Sniper has that big 200mm fan on the side, you should be just fine on temps.

It *is* pictured as having it on Newegg but if it doesn't, I'll order one for sure.

It'll be just fine then. It puts out plenty of CFM to help keep everything nice and cool and you won't need any other fans imo. Its pretty similar to my HAF 932 and I don't have any cooling issues at all.