Miek

My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

I just found this on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067&cm_re=i5-_-19-115-067-_-Product

i5-760. It appears to be identical to the 750 but clocked at 2.8GHz and built on a 32nm process.

Should I use it?

Intels site hasn't got it listed yet so maybe this is either a Preorder or Newegg jumped the gun a bit. If it is available it would be good to have. They have had plenty of practice making 32NM processors so I think the tech will be mature enough to use.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/specifications.htm

Intels site hasn't got it listed yet so maybe this is either a Preorder or Newegg jumped the gun a bit. If it is available it would be good to have. They have had plenty of practice making 32NM processors so I think the tech will be mature enough to use.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/specifications.htm

Its not 32NM according to this thread. Looks like just a 750 with a speed bump. http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/779046-i5-760-released-2-8ghz.html

AMD Cool n' Quiet vs. Turbo Boost:

With Turbo disabled, the CPU will run at the low, "base" frequency, right (ie. 2.66GHz for the i5-750)? Does Turbo Boost scale the speed of the CPU up when needed and otherwise runs at a lower speed?

With Cool n' Quiet disabled, does the CPU run at the high speed (ie. 3.2GHz for the Phenom II X4 955)? Does Cool n' Quiet scale the speed down when it's not needed?

And what exactly is "AMD Turbo Core?"

And about the i5: Should I just stay with the i5-750 just in case the 760 is only a preorder or something like that (then I don't have to wait and wait on a processor)?

Finally: What about a build using an H55 or H57 board? The only thing is that I'm not sure if the total reduced cost would really be worth the potential performance hit.

*Just a side note* If I go the route of the i7, I'll just go X58 as well because the total difference from LGA1156 to LGA1366 with the parts I've chose is less than $100 and that includes shipping.

Edited by Miek

AMD Turbo Core and Intel Turbo Boost operate on the same principle, just so far only the six-core AMDs use it.

Cool n Quiet will lower the frequency down on AMD chips, so instead of running at 3GHz it will downclock to say, 2GHz or even less.

The only difference between the i5 750 and 760 is the speed. They are identical expect for that.

If you pick up an H55 or H57 board, that adds in integrated graphics done by the CPU. Just the i5 750 you'd get doesn't have the integrated graphics on it so.... stick with the P55 chipset.

[*]D-Link dwa-140 usb wireless adapter

I've had to bin my WLAN adapter because I switched to se7en x64 and no drivers were available.

I can also personally vouch that the ASUS PCE-N13 card works under se7en x64! it is b/g/n so 300Mbps....

but also many newegg reviewers will specifically say "this card works under x64" - just goto reviews and type "x64" in your search

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320048

good luck on the build

On Newegg.ca (where I'll be ordering from), it is currently unavailable. :(

However, I found a Zonet USB wireless adapter that has excellent reviews. People say that it's plug and play in Win7 x64. Windows automatically found and installed recent drivers.

On Newegg.ca (where I'll be ordering from), it is currently unavailable. :(

However, I found a Zonet USB wireless adapter that has excellent reviews. People say that it's plug and play in Win7 x64. Windows automatically found and installed recent drivers.

same with the ASUS I was surprised it saw my network even during the windows install.

On Newegg.ca, it would appear that the i5-760 is available for ordering now.

However, I won't buy it until there's a review on it here (just in case it somehow really sucks or something :P).

About the i5-760:

Should I wait until there are some revised steppings of it? Would it be dumb to just go with the i5-750?

Its like the i7 920 and the 930. A small bump in speed while both can overclock nearly the same.

If the price difference is just a few bucks or so, then I'd say to get the 760. The 750 is a proven performer though so you know what you are getting with it. The 760 may overclock just the same, may OC more, or may even OC less. It all depends on the chip and what your motherboard can do.