Miek

My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

Question:

The P55 has no on-board graphics. However, I'll need a monitor running while I install Windows etc. If I plug the video card in, will it run with a kind of "generic" built in driver? As in it'll display what's happening even though it won't have a formal driver from NVIDIA?

Also, when I do install the driver... Should I use the one from the NVIDIA or EVGA site? (EVGA GTX470).

And should I get a UPS? I already have a surge protector, but no form of back-up battery.

Oh, and for the configuration of my build: I changed out the 1333MHz / 8-8-8-24 G. Skill RAM for 1600MHz / 9-9-9-24 A-Data RAM.

Just because there isn't a driver doesn't mean the video card won't display an image. :P It'll just be at the smallest resolution your monitor supports until you get a driver installed. When you install Windows, it'll work just fine just everything will look real big.

I always use the ones from ATI or NVIDIA as opposed to a manufacturer. With EVGA their site typically just directs you to NVIDIA anyway, so just grab it from nvidia.com.

UPS isn't necessary but it is handy if you live in an area with frequent thunderstorms or a house with shoddy wiring.

My wiring is fine, and there aren't many thunderstorms... Though there has been a nice chain of them this week (but no power outages).

Will the Samsung Spinpoint F3 be a good choice? Or should I use the Wester Digital Caviar Black?

QUESTION:

I'm probably going to be mostly playing WoW and it's a known issue that it has problems with new hardware.

Would it be a bad move regardless to use an older video card, upgrading when the issue is fixed/more DX11 games are out?

EDIT: :pfp: I posted twice in a row. My bad, I apologize.

I know people who are using the Samsung F3 and others who use the WD Black. Both work fine, just depends on which is cheaper imo.

As for the WoW question, I have no idea since I don't play it. :P

Microcenter for that 930! Imperative!! :)

BIG NOTE: Wireless adapters with W7 x64 are painful. Drivers are crap...you might have to work some magic to get one working...search plentifully before buying!

I have a Dlink DWA140 wireless N adapter and works fine. No problems working with my wireless router (dlink DSL2740B)

My wiring is fine, and there aren't many thunderstorms... Though there has been a nice chain of them this week (but no power outages).

Will the Samsung Spinpoint F3 be a good choice? Or should I use the Wester Digital Caviar Black?

They are both great drives. I happen to use WD Blacks because the vendor only had them at the time, but would have been just as happy with Samsung.

Skip to the bottom of this post for the tl;dr version.

Would it be worth it to go with an X58 build, even if I don't truly need it? I have the money.

*My budget is about $2000 CAD. That has to include shipping. I'd prefer to not spend all of it though. However, I am willing to spend more for good parts.

Or, would I be better off getting "great" components for an LGA1156 build (vs. "good, but not the best" components for X58)? And maybe 8GB of RAM?

*Note that if I were to go X58, I'd get 6GB.

For reference, here is the build I currently have laid out:

• Cooler Master Storm Sniper
  • MSI P55 GD65
  • Intel Core i5-750
  • EVGA GTX470 1280MB
  • Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750w modular PSU
  • Corsair XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz "Ultra Stable" 8-8-8-24
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
  • LITE-ON 24x DVD Writer SATA (black) model: iHAS-324-98
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (I decided to "go big or go home" in this area. :P)
  • Zonet ZEW2500P MINI USB / USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter (Reviews say it works well in Win7 x64)
  • Noctua NH-U12P (I am concerned about its weight bending my motherboard. Should I be worried?)
  • Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 channel speakers

Before shipping: $1,615.38

With shipping: $1,751.56

Possible changes that I'm considering:

• Changing MOBO to something by EVGA due to their awesome warranty/support
  • X58 / i7-930 build?
  • Phenom II X4 build? -> The only thing with that that I have concerns with is MOBO choice. That's the only thing, otherwise I'd do it in an instant. I'm almost eager to try AMD after using Intel all my life.
  • Drop cooler to NH-U9B for less weight on the MOBO?

Intel vs. AMD: Does one handle a 64-bit OS better than the other? Or is it negligible?

Is the MSI 980a motherboard good? Reliable?

Any further suggestions?

Here's an X58 build I put together for fun:

• Cooler Master Storm Sniper
  • EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR
  • Intel Core i7-920
  • EVGA GTX470 1280MB
  • Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750w modular PSU
  • Corsair XMS 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
  • LITE-ON 24x DVD Writer SATA (black) model: iHAS-324-98
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • Zonet ZEW2500P MINI USB / USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter (Reviews say it works well in Win7 x64)
  • Noctua NH-U12P (I am concerned about its weight bending my motherboard. Should I be worried?)
  • Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 channel speakers

I'm almost leaning towards the X58 build. The only thing that turns me off from it is the price, but I have the money... And this build would last a while before it's obsolete. That's a sure thing.

Total before shipping: $$1,799.88

Grand total including shipping: $1,946.13

I have $2000 to spend... Buying the X58 rig would leave me with $54.00 leftover dollars until the next payday.

tl;dr

Total cost of P55/i5 build, shipped to me: $1,751.56

Total cost of X58/i7 build, shipped to me: $1,946.13

You could consider a GTX 460 1GB card, we did reviews on one here and here. They'd save you a bit of cash and would allow you to put it towards something else, like a sound card or an i7 930 if you do the X58 build.

From a long term standpoint, socket 1156 and 1366 are going to be replaced when the upcoming Sandy Bridge chips from Intel arrive later this year/early next. Its something to consider.. AMD is expected to stick with socket AM3 for the time being though everything suggests that will be replaced when the new chips arrive from them, most likely when the Bulldozer chips arrive. So either way, both companies are expected to replace the current sockets when the next generation of parts arrive.

What about one of the 768MB cards? How much performance loss would I be looking at vs. the 1GB card? And in what areas?

However; I still kind of want to go with a GTX470. I can't help but feel the extra horsepower would eventually be handy.

What about one of the 768MB cards? How much performance loss would I be looking at vs. the 1GB card? And in what areas?

However; I still kind of want to go with a GTX470. I can't help but feel the extra horsepower would eventually be handy.

From these two, doesn't look like a whole lot. Up to 1920x1200 you should be fine in virtually any game with the 768MB version, though the 1GB can help out at 2560x1600 in a few cases. If you plan on picking up Metro 2033, then the GTX 470 seems to be the better option. But if you'll be playing mostly WoW, then you should be fine with either version of the GTX 460. If you play more newer games (:P), then the GTX 470 seems to be the better choice.

For future proofing and if you have the money, you can't go wrong with the GTX 470 imo. If you want to save a bit of cash to invest in another area, then the GTX 460 would be a solid option. I just want to provide you with another option in case you go overbudget or the budget gets lowered or something.